U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,454,828 times

Advertisements

We have a 6 year old male cat (HUGE 25 pounder!) who will not urinate in the cat box. This has been going on for quite awhile. He was going on the throw rugs in the house (never on the carpet) and we had a hard time figuring out which of our 4 cats was the culprit. (We do have multiple cat boxes and have tried several types of litter). I started putting old bath towels down near the cat box because I was wearing out my rugs washing them so often. I finally came up with the idea of putting the towel in a litter box and it works great....he gets in the box and pees there. The big pain is that I am having to change towels at least twice a day. I'm spending lots of time & money on washing towels! Any suggestions??????? Thanks!

P.S. I also posted another plea for help for another cat & appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times
If he's urinating in the box with the towel in there then that clearly ruins my theory of the box being too small

How long have you had him? Were there any changes just prior to him starting this behavior? (A move, new person/cat/dog/critter moving in, rearranging of the home....) Do you have one box per cat in your home? Has he had a recent exam by his vet? There are times a cat will change a habit when they are not feeling well.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,538,751 times
Has he been to the vet and checked for a UTI? These are common in male cats (especially those on dry food only). When a cat has a UTI, it will often associate the pain when he pees with the litter box, therefore is he'll go on other things (often soft things of cool things). Take him to the vet and have him checked out.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM

59 posts, read 364,602 times
There could be several reasons for your cat not wanting to use the litter box. A urinary tract infection, as mentioned by others, could be the reason. You mentioned that you changed litter several times. Sometimes cats don't like a certain brand of litter and you could be confusing him. Sometimes a cat doesn't want to share a litter box with other cats. A trip to the vet would rule out any physical problems that may be causing this. If there isn't anything physically wrong, it could be behavior and I'm afraid I don't have any answers for that. We've had multiple cats for many years and this problem was infrequent but I put up with it because I was always so attached to the offending cat.

Good luck and hope all works out well!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,221,161 times
May I suggest using puppy pads in the box and you can just throw them away.

If you have been changing litter often, I think he just might not like the one you are using and please use the unscented, that scented kind is so strong to some of them and once you find one he likes, stay with it. Cats do not like C-h-a-n-g-e!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
May I suggest using puppy pads in the box and you can just throw them away.

If you have been changing litter often, I think he just might not like the one you are using and please use the unscented, that scented kind is so strong to some of them and once you find one he likes, stay with it. Cats do not like C-h-a-n-g-e!
I agree with Laura. Watch out because a urinary tract blockage in male cats and be deadly. Stress and diet along with undesirable bathroom conditions can create health problems you DON'T want to have to deal with. Trust me, I know! Make sure the litter boxes are what he likes. If crystals start to form in his urinary tract Vitamin C mixed into his food can help break then down and keep his urinary tract unblocked. For stress, Rescue Remedy, a Bach Flower remedy you get at the health food store helps a LOT and it is very inexpensive. It either works like a charm or it will do nothing.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,454,828 times
Default Thanks

Thanks again for all of your help. We're still using the towels in the box. They seem to work better than the puppy pads, which we've tried. We had him on antibiotics and nothing changed, so it may not have been a UTI. He uses the litter for poop, but just not for pee. Weird cat!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Thanks again for all of your help. We're still using the towels in the box. They seem to work better than the puppy pads, which we've tried. We had him on antibiotics and nothing changed, so it may not have been a UTI. He uses the litter for poop, but just not for pee. Weird cat!!!!!!!!
Try putting 2 to 6 drops of Rescue Remedy in a small bowl of water. Also, it would not hurt to start giving him 250 mgs of Vit C crystals a day or twice a day in his food. If he is an elderly cat make sure he gets digestive enzymes in his food to help him absorb the nutrients from his food and make sure he is getting an EXCELLENT QUALITY canned or home prepared cat food.

Also if this behavior was tirggered by an event, that still goes on, and is a new behavior he did not have before, try to keep whatever it was that may have brought on the unwanted behavior away. Cover your windows if it is due to cats outside visiting (and harrassing) your cat. I did this just long enough to get my cat to relax enough to get back to normal urinating habits. The "mean" neighborhood cat that was harassing him got bored and frustrated that he was no longer able to terrorize my cat and didn't visit as frequently. Then it got to where I did not need to constantly keep my windows covered. The neighborhood cat stayed away and now on occasion returns but my cat can now handle it.

I have continued to give him small doses of Vit C and digestive enzymes and a good diet (Spots Stew). While he was recovering and in great pain -- even yowling when trying to urinate and he was trying to void all around the house, I gave him an herbal remedy of Wild black carrot extract along with an herbal remedy given to women with urgent urination problems called Uti-care.

I keep a supply in cse he ever goes through this again so I can nip it in the bud and avoid a total blockage. i don't suspect he will as long as i keep up with the Vit C though. Even the conventional vets admit that Vit C works to melt the crystals.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
Why was he on antibiotics, and which ABX were prescribed? Clavamox used to be the "blocked cat" ABX of choice, haven't been a vet tech in years tho... Did the vet run a CBC/chem profile and urinalysis? If he's partially blocked, then he's stopped using the litterbox to avoid the pain that he now associates with it. Have you noticed that he seems to take an awfully long time "to go"? Ever notice any pink staining? If he were my kitty I'd want to know before he blocks completely. THIS is an emergency which will require your kitty to be sedated so a catheter can be placed. Being such a big kitty, you may want to change him to a low ash/low magnesium food from the vet. The ones in stores (Friskies, etc) really aren't recommended after a cat has blocked once. It's not "poor" diet, as many cats will do fine on what you can get in the supermarket. But some cats are just more prone to this problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,302,471 times
I have been paying close attention to this thread's advice as I have a female kitty who from time to time gets those crystals in her urinary tract. I know when it is happening because she pees in my bedroom behind a potted tree (faux) and there is blood in the urine. It has been quite a while since the last episode (knock on wood) but I am interested in more information about those digestive enzymes mentioned here and also the delivery method for the vitamin C. On a day to day basis my three girls all share a litter box (filled with Tidy Cat Multiple Cat as well as a hefty layer of baking soda on the bottom plus a box liner) that is scooped regularly and totally changed twice each week. The liner is a big help in keeping it fresh as is the baking soda. They all get a premium canned food twice daily and the dry food is a vet-prescription one to help prevent the crystals (they all eat it as it is too complicated to offer multiple drys).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or