Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a dental cleaning visit scheduled in 2 wks. But this is a new vet so not sure of the "need" for cleaning again (last was done in Jan. '10 when cat was about 2 yrs old) on a now 4+ yr (approx.) age cat (we got as an abandoned cat back summer of '09).

So, new vet saw her 2 months ago for a yrly checkup (1st time w/ this vet though, as he's new to us) & he said she has tarter slightly w/ some red gums but not alot. Yet he still advises it be good idea to do it in Feb.

Anyone have a way "layman's-style" to qualify his remarks? Ok, thanks again & I know this is mundane, yet it confuses me to no end.
I hate undergoing meds to put her under but also don't want to avoid cleaning if warranted.

I'd love to save the $ but this isn't the real worry. Oh, she had her 1st (& maybe ONLY ever) cleaning 6 mos. after we found her in Jan. '10 @ our old vet @ about age 2yrs. It would be about 2yrs to the day that her 2nd cleaning would occur if we did it this Feb.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Some cats are genetically prone to dental disease. If your cat needed her first cleaning at 2 years old, she may be one of these, and the cleaning may be warranted.

My cats are 19 months, 6 years and 7 1/2 years old, on canned diets, and none have yet needed cleanings.

My recently passed Bridge Angel was prone to resorptive lesions and tartar build up. He had to have quite a few dental cleanings, and extractions over his 12 years of life.

I used to use c.e.t. paste on their teeth regularly, but have stopped using it very often because of the ingredients. It doesn't seem to make all that much difference, honestly, including with my boy with all the problems.

Did the vet show you, in kitty's mouth, what is causing him to recommend that this is needed? Like I said, some cats are prone to dental disease and need regular cleanings all their lives to maintain a healthy mouth.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM

PS If in serious doubt of course you could always take her somewhere else for a second opinion. You've just moved, right? So it wouldn't be out of line in any case, to be shopping around for a new vet.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Cat's with Siamese genetics are some that are prone to dental problems - there are a few others but that one comes to mind right away because I deal with it having the Toninese. Every 2 or 3 years really sounds about right depending on your cat and individual diet. How would your mouth look in 2 years? Yes they are built a bit differently with different enzymes in the saliva but it suprises me that people are so shocked that every few years their pets need dental maintenance.

I have mine on a 2 -3 year cycle. My Grace had her first cleaning done at 3 years old - it's been a year and she still looks great so I'm guessing she's one that will last longer between trips. My Simon is 2 1/2 and his teeth are terrible - we won't get so lucky with him. My Lexie is 3 and she could go another year if I absolutely couldn't afford it but I won't make her wait and risk it being worse. So this year I have to pay for two. Hopefully next year I don't have to do anyone!

Usually if you have a little tarter build up but no gum inflammation then I say you can ride it out if need be. But when the gums look irritated and red then you should start to take care of it because that's when you're headed for gum disease issues or possible abscesses. A quick cleaning is always preferable to scaling and x-rays and pulling teeth.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I'm glad this came up. Snickers is going to have to have his teeth cleaned when I get my tax return. His teeth need it really bad, but that's the way he came to me. I'm concerned about putting him out because he's an older cat, but it has to be done. I hope he doesn't need to have any pulled.

I need dental work done too, but he comes first.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm glad this came up. Snickers is going to have to have his teeth cleaned when I get my tax return. His teeth need it really bad, but that's the way he came to me. I'm concerned about putting him out because he's an older cat, but it has to be done. I hope he doesn't need to have any pulled.

I need dental work done too, but he comes first.
Be sure to have a FULL blood panel done (superchemistry) and talk to your vet about the type of anesthesia used.

My vet uses sevorflurane gas only. It is the safest out there. It is fast acting, so there is no pre-induction drug (valium, ketamine, all those scary things) cocktail needed. It's a little more expensive but totally worth it.

They are much less groggy coming out of it too. Some argue that using heavier anesthesia also provides some residual pain control after the procedure, but it is very easy to get a dose of buprenex into a cat's mouth (it is just squirted onto the tongue or gums, not down the throat)

Two of the things in all my cat's charts. NO ketamine (strong anesthesia) and NO metacam (pain medicine that causes kidney failure in cats). NO exceptions.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
This is my problem with the upcoming dentals. I love my vet - she understands that I'm one of her few nut-job patients She's very good to me. I have the no metacam label on my cat charts. They really don't use it in the practice as a protocol anyway - but in some rare instances they do.

I hate to be one of those people who tell a Dr. how to be a Dr. I didn't go to vet school. Obviously I take them to see my vet because I trust her. However I am (I think) informed.

I don't know if want to add a no ketamine label and ask her what other sedation / anesthesia route they would use. I guess it's worth bringing up at the appointment before the dental...

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

You are certainly entitled to know what kind of anesthesia your vet uses and ask if there are choices. There was a ketamine recall a couple of years ago....many vets were never even informed at the time. Scary.

My vet likes the sevo because it is so fast acting, both during induction and withdrawal. That's why I like it too. It IS more expensive though.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, I have a dental cleaning visit scheduled in 2 wks. But this is a new vet so not sure of the "need" for cleaning again (last was done in Jan. '10 when cat was about 2 yrs old) on a now 4+ yr (approx.) age cat (we got as an abandoned cat back summer of '09).

So, new vet saw her 2 months ago for a yrly checkup (1st time w/ this vet though, as he's new to us) & he said she has tarter slightly w/ some red gums but not alot. Yet he still advises it be good idea to do it in Feb.

Anyone have a way "layman's-style" to qualify his remarks? Ok, thanks again & I know this is mundane, yet it confuses me to no end.
I hate undergoing meds to put her under but also don't want to avoid cleaning if warranted.

I'd love to save the $ but this isn't the real worry. Oh, she had her 1st (& maybe ONLY ever) cleaning 6 mos. after we found her in Jan. '10 @ our old vet @ about age 2yrs. It would be about 2yrs to the day that her 2nd cleaning would occur if we did it this Feb.

Thanks.
Vet Costs: A Former Practicing Veterinarian Reveals His Top 5 Secrets To Dramatically Lower Them | Veterinary Secrets Blog with Dr. Andrew Jones, DVM

Be wary of the business practice popularized by McDonalds, ‘The Up-sell’. Examples of this include your veterinarian suggesting ‘preventive’ diagnostic tests during a check up, or in many cases advising having a dental cleaning. You should be asking and questioning why? Just how bad are the teeth; is the degree of dental disease really that significant? One of the major veterinary associations is advising that any pet with Grade 1 gingivitis (mild gum inflammation) have a dental scale and polish. This procedure is at least 300 dollars.

There is more to that paragraph, click on link for full article.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Dental concerns and care through the life stages of pets (Sponsored by Greenies) - Veterinary Healthcare

Bellows: Sometimes, in trying to treat feline chronic gingivostomatitis with a repositol corticosteroid injection, diabetes mellitus results. <snip >
So the lesson is, when you see inflammation all around a tooth or when you see local or generalized stomatitis, don't reach for repositol corticosteroids. The cat is not corticosteroid-deficient. It needs definitive oral assessment, treatment, and prevention (ORAL ATPâ„¢).

Focus on feline dental care and its effect on overall health: A roundtable discussion (Sponsored by Greenies) - Veterinary Healthcare

Managing stage I and II periodontal disease - Veterinary Healthcare

Dental prophylaxis: New oral medicaments and home care options (Proceedings) - Veterinary Healthcare

Enamel pearls and tooth fairies: Making dentistry profitable (Proceedings) - Veterinary Healthcare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats