U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,406,025 times

Advertisements

Been feeding both my cats Wellness and BG canned food recently. Both my cats are getting about a 5.5 ounce can a day. First thing in the morning they have been getting about 1/4 to a 1/3 of a can.

How much is too much of canned food at one serving?

My concern is one of the cats would probably try to eat a whole can if I offered it, especially for Wellness. Now whether she would throw it up within 5 mins is another question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 AM

2,732 posts, read 720,256 times
It says on the Wellness dry food that a small cat can get 1/4 cup dried food and a 3 ounce can of wet when doing a combined wet and dry diet. Because Belina is always hungry, we divvy out her food and give her half of a 3 ounce can two times a day and then dole out her dried three times a day.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Both of mine are just about 8lbs which Wellness recommends one 5.5 ounce can per day. Curious if typically no more than a 1/3 of a can should be given at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
It says on the Wellness dry food that a small cat can get 1/4 cup dried food and a 3 ounce can of wet when doing a combined wet and dry diet. Because Belina is always hungry, we divvy out her food and give her half of a 3 ounce can two times a day and then dole out her dried three times a day.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,651,511 times
Wow, my kitties would love living in your homes! :-) They get dry food every day and wet food as a treat very occasionally. When I give them the wet food, it's HALF a small can (think Fancy Feast) split among 5 kitties. I refrigerate the other 1/2 a can and they get it a few days later. So each gets 1/10 of a small can! (That's maybe a teaspoon each.)

When I had only 2 cats they got wet food every day (a regular can lasted 3 days so each got 1/6 of a can per day) as well as dry food left out. One of them got a bit tubby on this regimen, so when I got more kitties, I decided not to feed them wet food every day.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,372,032 times
I feed my cats a half a can of cat fancy each. They mostly just eat the sauce first then later they pick on what's left. They each get this once in the morning and once in the evening at dinner time. I keep two small bowls of dry food, two different brands and flavors, for them all day.

After dinner before bedtime they get a small amount of dry treats each. That's it. One of my cats doesn't drink enough water so the wet food is better for her everyday.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:24 PM

132 posts, read 440,754 times
We free feed. So, there is always dry food out (either Wellness Core or Orijen) and there is almost always wet food out (Wellness, BG, Natural Balance, Weruva, and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul are all in the rotation).

We put out a can, split between two bowls, for the three cats. When it vanishes completely, we put out another can. They prefer the wet food, so it can be days before we refill the dry food bowl again, but we like to have it there so they are not shorted while we are at work.

The two grown cats are about 11 and 12 pounds each, and not overweight, just big cats. The kitten is almost six months, and eats like a horse, but he's growing.

We've never had a problem with this system, and they put down somewhere between 2-3 cans a day. They don't try and eat it all at once -- they usually wander off with the bowl still more than half full of wet, and come back later when they are hungry -- but perhaps this is because they are used to this system and know it will be there.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM

9,918 posts, read 20,534,663 times
Just for additional reference you may want to have a look at this article:

Pet Food Calorie Mis-Information

Among other things and most relevant (I guess) to this thread it highlights that what manufacturers recommend in terms of volume may not reasonably correspond to the true calorie density of the food.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Well I had both my cats on Wellness dry for several years and while their nails and coat was always super slick, the one seem to have gotten in the habit of ratting just to eat and before long the pounds started packing on.

Been feeding each of them now one 5.5 ounce can a day. 60-70% of Before Grain and 40-30% Wellness canned.

I think just like the obesity problem with humans now, the same has been occurring with cats in recent years. Cut the carbs and the pounds come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Wow, my kitties would love living in your homes! :-) They get dry food every day and wet food as a treat very occasionally. When I give them the wet food, it's HALF a small can (think Fancy Feast) split among 5 kitties. I refrigerate the other 1/2 a can and they get it a few days later. So each gets 1/10 of a small can! (That's maybe a teaspoon each.)

When I had only 2 cats they got wet food every day (a regular can lasted 3 days so each got 1/6 of a can per day) as well as dry food left out. One of them got a bit tubby on this regimen, so when I got more kitties, I decided not to feed them wet food every day.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM

15,734 posts, read 8,800,445 times
I give mine 1/2 can in the morning and 1/2 a can at dinner time. I also put some dry in a bowl. I have to watch the 6 month old because she eats hers and then tries to get the other cats food.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,888,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
It would be better and healthier for the kitties to get LESS dry kibble and more canned food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats