Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are adopting a Russian Blue from a shelter and will be picking him up tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how to help him transition to our home?

Also, I know Russian Blue's can be costly so I'm not certain this is actually a Russian Blue. Is there any way to tell definitively? Is it highly unlikely that a Russian Blue would be offered for free from a shelter? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Congratulations!

Just give him plenty of attention, some toys, some fluffy blankets, along with a few places to hide when he's feeling overwhelmed. Show him where his litter box and food/water dishes are, let him explore but keep an eye on him from a bit of a distance -- just in case he gets himself into any trouble!

Good luck to you, and may you enjoy many happy years with your new kitty.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
oh occasionally you do find full-breed cats at a shelter. But, with no papers, it has no meaning. You can't register him, you can't show them (except as Household pet), you shouldn't be breeding him anyway. so.. what does it get you? 'we think he's a Russian Blue' and a great addition to the family. If it's super important to know, you can get DNA testing, but...

Just enjoy him and give him lots of love! and give him time to acclimate to his new home. it's wonderful that you are taking in a shelter boy.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hello, we are adopting a Russian Blue from a shelter and will be picking him up tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how to help him transition to our home?

Also, I know Russian Blue's can be costly so I'm not certain this is actually a Russian Blue. Is there any way to tell definitively? Is it highly unlikely that a Russian Blue would be offered for free from a shelter? Thanks.
Keep the litter pan where he can easily find it and add some of his used litter from the shelter. It worked every time for me.

Cat toys and a scratching post and at least one cat "tree" from the pet shop plus a good canned food and all should be well.

Shelters and rescues tend to call all gray cats Russian Blues. They almost call all medium haired cats Maine Coons.... it helps to get them homes.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
Start him off in his own room for a couple of days. Keep a litter box and food in there. This will give him time to adjust to the different place, people and smells. He will probably feel safer in a small room at first. After a couple of days when he feels a little more brave, he will want to explore the rest of the house. I brought home a new cat a few months ago and this process really helped her become adjusted. On the morning of day two, she was pounding on the door, ready to explore and become part of the family After that, she had full run of the house. Congrats and good luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Shelters call all blue (grey) cats "Russian Blue". I have one of these not-really-a-Russian-Blues myself, and although she is certainly not the real thing, she is nevertheless quite beautiful and has a great personality. A true Russian Blue (that meets breed standards) has GREEN eyes, never any other color. The coat is short, dense, uniform blue with silver tips, not even a hint of tabby stripes or brown coloration. And of course, a true Russian Blue will have papers describing lineage.

Here's a link to the breed standard:

Russian Shorthair Standard (http://www.acfacat.com/russian_blue_standard.htm - broken link)

Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Animal Planet has a program on now called My Cat From Hell. You can get lots of info about cat behavior and when to know they are in pain or unhappy. ASPCA and Humane Society have lots of tips for cat care, including vaccinations and behavior issues, so check out their sites.

May you and your friend have many happy years together.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Thanks all, he seems to be doing great and seems happy. No problems with eating or using his litter box. He's quite rambunctious which I suppose is not abnormal but sometimes I wonder if it's a sign of stress or something--he'll just run all over the house as fast as he can. He also will follow us everywhere we go.

Again, he seems happy and is almost constantly purring so I guess that is good.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
How old a cat are we talking here? Up until about their first birthday they can go non-stop.
If he's still a kitten or in catolescence you need to cat-proof the house much the same as you would for a human baby. Before taking any large containers to the curb, make sure he hasn't found a new place to hide and snooze. Keep detergents, cleaning supplies, etc under close watch. Leave the seat lid down on toilets. Watch for dangling drawstrings on coats & hoodies, and curtain/blind/shade cords, to prevent strangulation accidents. Double-check the washing machine and dryer before turning them on. And so on and so on.
Congrats on your new feline! PLEASE NEUTER when he's old enough.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
Start him off in his own room for a couple of days. Keep a litter box and food in there. This will give him time to adjust to the different place, people and smells. He will probably feel safer in a small room at first. After a couple of days when he feels a little more brave, he will want to explore the rest of the house. I brought home a new cat a few months ago and this process really helped her become adjusted. On the morning of day two, she was pounding on the door, ready to explore and become part of the family After that, she had full run of the house. Congrats and good luck!

It took ours about 12 hours to come out of her carrier and want out of the room she was in. We did go in from time to time and sit with her but let her come to us if she wanted. Food was ready, water was fresh, treats were available and litter was fresh and clean and readily available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats