U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 231,003 times

Advertisements

My cat was just spayed this week and has been taking Biomox for that and a procedure where they drained fluid from her ear. My vet recently told me I could give Benadryl to another one of my sneezing cats. My just spayed cat has also started sneezing, has a runny nose, and is congested. I have been calling the vet's office everyday with one question after another. Does anyone know if it is safe to give my just spayed cat Benadryl for these symptoms as well? He informed me to give my other cats 2ml of Benadryl 2-3 times a day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,160,902 times
i guess my first question would be why you have multiple cats now (as in - not previously) sneezing? Is there something going around? sneezing and a runny, congested nose sounds more involved than something Benedryl might cover. I would check with your vet first, giving Benedryl might mask a problem more than solve it in this case. After akkm benedryl is just an anti-histimine, it's not a decongestant. and cats really only breathe through their noses. Doesn't hurt to inquire!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 AM

459 posts, read 966,846 times
Veronica...this is your second post about the Benedryl. I must question if you are even a serious poster. Why do you refuse to call your vet and ask these important medical questions? It really isn't safe to rely on internet strangers for health advice. If you call and ask the receptionist...they will get you an answer that is specific to your cat(s).

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM

I've been calling my vet everyday with different questions. Their clinic closes early a few days a week and they do not have an alternate number. There are several people on here who are actual vets and have been very helpful.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM

5,776 posts, read 11,298,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaC. View Post
I've been calling my vet everyday with different questions. Their clinic closes early a few days a week and they do not have an alternate number. There are several people on here who are actual vets and have been very helpful.
I am not aware of anyone currently posting in this forum who is a vet. And no responsible vet is going to give medical advice on a message board for a cat they have never examined.

Do not give benadryl to your just spayed cat. It sounds like there is an upper respiratory infection going around in your home. Your cat who just had surgery will have a lowered immune system because all her energies are going toward healing. Take her to the vet.

In fact, I'd be looking for a new vet if your vet advised you to "give benadryl to a sneezing cat" without ever having examined the cat. Beneadryl is for allergic reactions, not upper respiratory infections.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 AM

I ended up calling the vet's office yesterday. There are two vets there and they both said to give Benadryl if the cat is sneezing, has watery eyes, and is congested (even to the just spayed cat they saw earlier this week). I have visited another site very similar to this one, and there are several people on there who are vets and very helpful. They posted exactly what our local vets have told us.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 AM

5,776 posts, read 11,298,046 times
Anyone can call themselves a vet on a message board.

I wouldn't trust any vet who would tell you it is okay to give benadryl to a cat who has just been spayed and is showing upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms, especially a cat who has just had general anesthesia.

Benadryl is for allergic reactions, not upper respiratory infections.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 5,795,923 times
I'm not a vet, but I am a vet tech. I don't diagnose or prescribe ever, but I don't think I've ever seen my vets recommend Benadryl for upper respiratory signs in a cat. Dogs and cats generally don't have the same hayfever type symptoms that many people do for allergies. The vast majority of the time those clinical signs point to infection. Antibiotics aren't always called for, since a lot of these infections are viral. Maybe your vets know something I don't know or maybe they believe a virus is going around your home and are "treating the owner" by giving you something to give your cats to make you feel better until they recover on their own.
Just thought I'd share my experience.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Exactly what I thought which is why I have called several times with questions about the Benadryl. Each and every time, they have said it's okay. I have also suspected Upper Respiratory Infection and did not think Benadryl would help that since I know the medicine to be for allergies. Both vets recommended it for these symptoms as well. I will get a third opinion tomorrow. Thanks so much. Believe me, everything you are telling me is what I have thought as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'm not a vet, but I am a vet tech. I don't diagnose or prescribe ever, but I don't think I've ever seen my vets recommend Benadryl for upper respiratory signs in a cat. Dogs and cats generally don't have the same hayfever type symptoms that many people do for allergies. The vast majority of the time those clinical signs point to infection. Antibiotics aren't always called for, since a lot of these infections are viral. Maybe your vets know something I don't know or maybe they believe a virus is going around your home and are "treating the owner" by giving you something to give your cats to make you feel better until they recover on their own.
Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thank you so much. I had never heard of giving Benadryl to a cat either. However, after both vets told me of this, I have researched it online on different sites, and it is the case. I have read many articles on it, either giving it in liquid form or in tablet for sneezing. But I'm still skeptical on giving it for the other symptoms I've observed. If they are not better by tomorrow, I will have to take them in, possibly to another vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats