U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,824,250 times

Advertisements

My senior cat is having trouble jumping up and is sometimes wobbly after standing or sometimes the back feet will give way when it jumps up or down. On a 20'' high "two holed" scratching post it will just pull itself up with front claws instead of jumping, same with my recliner, just pull itself up with front claws and then use back claws.

X-rays showed no problems with arthritis that could be seen either in hips or spine. The vet gave her an injection "for pain", this was Metacam I later found out.

Kitty responded well for about three days but now has gone back to old self. I started Cosequin about 1.5 weeks ago (same day as shot), so far it doesn't seem to change her condition.

her blood work was good several months ago in terms of kidney function and everything else. Vet recommended Metacam liquid or Tramadol pills that would be crushed up.

Metacam is risky as searchable threads here indicate. I was warned it is used in Canada and Europe but here it's controversial.

My problem with Tramadol (Ultram) is that it's an opiate and is said to make pets sleepy or withdrawn if not dosed right. It also says here not to crush it up:

Tramadol Information from Drugs.com

How should I take tramadol?

Take tramadol exactly as prescribed. Never take tramadol in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Tramadol can be taken with or without food, but take it the same way each time.
Do not crush, chew, or break a tramadol tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time. This medicine is for oral (by mouth) use only. Powder from a crushed tablet should not be inhaled or diluted with liquid and injected into the body. Using this medicine by inhalation or injection can cause life-threatening side effects, overdose, or death.

From searches on here it seems there are more options.
Dasuquin - the newer version of Cosequin
Glyco flex
adequan
Buprenex

I just don't know what to do. I don't know how much pain my cat is in but I'm sure a little at least. Otherwise she's quite healthy, her bloodwork is that of a much younger kitty I'm told.

I'm very scared of Metacam but the fact that Tramadol is a human drug and opiate kind of scares me.

anyone here with experience with Tramadol?

any advice. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,383,351 times
I don't have experience with Tramadol, but I think you're wise to ask questions before giving her that OR more Metacam.

I had excellent results with Homeopet Joint Stress Formula and a change to all wet food, high meat protein, low/no starches or grains.

The food I initially chose, was, I think, too high in fat for his advanced age, Wellness (possibly led to pancreatitis) and EVO was too high in phosphorous, so I would use this website as a way to find wet food low in phosphorous.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Canned Cat Food Data USA

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,383,351 times
When an opiate is crushed up, it gives the intense immediate rush/ high an addict is looking for, not the sustained pain relief intended.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,755,853 times
DO NOT USE THE METACAM. Metacam has a very bad reputation in cats.

http://www.metacamkills.com/http://www.metacamkills.com/

My cats always did well on Buprenex, although I halved the incredibly small doses, else they were little zombies.

If your vet is pushing Metacam - get a different vet.

Last edited by MissNM; 02-06-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,338,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
DO NOT USE THE METACAM. Metacam has a very bad reputation in cats.

http://www.metacamkills.com/http://www.metacamkills.com/

My cats always did well on Buprenex, although I halved the incredibly small doses, else they were little zombies.

If your vet is pushing Metacam - get a different vet.
Absolutely!, I agree MissNM.

Period, no way, no how subject your kitty to this. Please seek a new vet asap. I'm not trying to sound paranoid here but it is best safe than sorry when it comes to that stuff.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,788,332 times
Agree with no metacam ESPECIALLY after having the injection.

I had a senior girl prescribed tramadol for arthritis pain, and it did indeed make her very drugged even on a tiny dose (it was a liquid med)

I agree with the others that your kitty needs a NEW VET.

And do get new blood work to check her kidneys, after that injection.

There are two very good treatments for arthritis pain in cats. Once is adequan injections and the other is laser therapy.

here is info on each:

Adequan:
Adequan

This link is to the laser my vet uses, but gives the right info
LiteCure Companion | Advanced Laser Therapy Systems

I like cosequin for cats for mild to moderate arthritis pain, and Omega 3 fish oil can be beneficial too, it is a natural anti-inflammatory. I use Nutramax Wellactin II (cosequin is also made by NutraMax)

Good luck to your kitty, please keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,824,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Agree with no metacam ESPECIALLY after having the injection.

I had a senior girl prescribed tramadol for arthritis pain, and it did indeed make her very drugged even on a tiny dose (it was a liquid med)

I agree with the others that your kitty needs a NEW VET.

And do get new blood work to check her kidneys, after that injection.

There are two very good treatments for arthritis pain in cats. Once is adequan injections and the other is laser therapy.

here is info on each:

Adequan:
Adequan

This link is to the laser my vet uses, but gives the right info
LiteCure Companion | Advanced Laser Therapy Systems

I like cosequin for cats for mild to moderate arthritis pain, and Omega 3 fish oil can be beneficial too, it is a natural anti-inflammatory. I use Nutramax Wellactin II (cosequin is also made by NutraMax)

Good luck to your kitty, please keep us posted.
First, thanks to all who have responded.

I'm curious why there seem to be so many choices but I only received Tramadol and Metacam ?

(I did start Cosequin 12 days ago, no change so far.) She had been on a fish oil supplement for years, this is just over the counter fish oil. She sometimes seemed to have dry skin and I've given her that for a long time.

But if Nutramax Wellactin II is specially formulated for her I'll get some. Is this available at PetCo/Mart stores and the like?

My question to CatsMom is did the tramadol work?

this is supposed to be compounded into a liquid and then flavoring added.

So because at least one other here as done the tramadol thing I've ordered some to be delivered. I'll try this for 1 week and see if it helps. I'll look out for drowsiness. Sounds like Buprenex caused drowsiness as well, so I guess almost nothing is perfect.

Right now I'm desperate just to do something -- outside of Metacam of course which is why I ordered the tramadol. I think I need to call and ask for other options as well.

and thanks for the laser link, there is a place not too far away that I found on the website.

My question is if no spurs, rough edges of bones, showed on the x-rays,,, one of spine the other side view of hips,,, would laser still work? I'm thinking it would b/c we seem to know it's muscular and in the hips/legs b/c of the jumping issue but I'm still not sure. It just that there doesn't seem to be a specific area causing the pain.

thanks again for all your help.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,788,332 times
I only used the tramadol a couple of times because it doped her up so much, even at a very tiny dose. She was also receiving Reiki, and this actually helped her the most, when her pain and stiffness got severe.

At that time adequan was still an intramuscular injection, and painful, (it's done under the skin, subcutaneously, now) so I didn't want to put her through that, and laser therapy wasn't available around here at all yet, I can't answer your specific questions about it.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

543 posts, read 1,119,398 times
I have heard tramadol can cause hallucinations in cats. I have tramadol which was compounded for my small dog. I have heard good things about adequan and cosequin. I would try the other alternatives mentioned here, like Reiki, acupuncture, etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,755,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
First, thanks to all who have responded.

I'm curious why there seem to be so many choices but I only received Tramadol and Metacam ?
Why? Your vet may:
1. not be passionate about cats (may be a dog lover)
2. not stay current in his field
3. not stock the other meds in their pharmacy, and don't want to give an Rx
4. just be lazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats