Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is friendlier and cuddlier?
Males 25 56.82%
Females 5 11.36%
No Difference 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times

Advertisements

I love my boy. Love him, love him,love him. He's a big old ham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Our Zebulon isn't as affectionate as he was as a kitten. I miss that a lot. He no longer naps in my lap. The only time he really wants cuddles is at bedtime. He climbs on my stomach as I read, turns on his rumbling purr and waits to get his chin and ears rubbed and some general petting. Sometimes he sleeps on my bed but most nights he's sleeping in another room.

Overall, he's the least affectionate male cat I've ever owned. Most were real cuddle-bugs and lap cats.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
My cat Willy is quite affectionate, but he never was a lap cat. He simply doesn't like to be held all that much. They are all different, and as you noted, change with time. And they all want everything on their own terms!

Did you name him after Zebulon Pike, the man whom Pike's Peak is named after?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Based on cat history of decades, I remember neutered males being the most affectionate. Not to say females have not been, though...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My cat Willy is quite affectionate, but he never was a lap cat. He simply doesn't like to be held all that much. They are all different, and as you noted, change with time. And they all want everything on their own terms!
I sure miss having a love-bug lap cat like the last two I had. They were both orange males.

Quote:
Did you name him after Zebulon Pike, the man whom Pike's Peak is named after?
I never heard of Mr. Pike. I can't even remember where I got that name from now.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Zebulon Pike is the only Zebulon I know of, so I thought maybe that's where the name came from.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
I have to vote female b/c my baby is so cuddly my DD literally is able to play with her like a teddy bear (squeezing her in a hug; not so hard to break ribs.. we do love our cat). Even if I never had a tomcat except that occasional feral out there that has a very mean streak.... I cannot "not vote" female... b/c she is just "that" cuddly.

I would agree with some posters that it is all in how you "train" your cat... you are the person who teaches your cat to tolerate "what" from you (like bath time, clip nails or to put up with the occasional "snuggle" etc.).

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
Males all the way. I can't think of a cat any more placid and unphased as Scuttle, one of our cats. All other males cats I've seen have been friendly. The times I hear of evil, possessed type cats that scratch you if you even touch them or hiss all the time are females. Sure many are probably also "friendly". But I think it's impossible for any cat to be as placid/easy to handle as Scuttle, he's very strange that way. When I saw him lingering in the hallway one time I picked him up and held him until any sign of boredom and he lasted about half an hour. Also if you turn him carefully onto his back he will just stay lying there on his back and doesn't care.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Wow, am I being overuled and outvoted. Voted female all the way. Have a theory that I will toss in; does the sex of the owner change the opinion in some way? Men might be more fond of female cats and vice versa. From time to time have heard that male cats sometimes do not like men and will not bond with them, but will with women. Some truth or just another myth about cats?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
I have seen both, it really depends on the personality of the cat.

I have known cats of both sexes that loved cuddling and others that didn't like being handled or being close to anyone even other cats.

Some like attention for a bit then act like you just ripped off their tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats