U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,672,964 times
If your lap is warm, then my CRF/HCM would prefer you over pining away about my absence!

As long as my hubby or me are around, the "kittens" would be fine. But if both of us were gone, my kittens would truly mourn for a couple months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Status: "back to being a 3 dog household" (set 22 days ago)

2,510 posts, read 2,056,994 times
Many years ago with a different cat i went away for just a couple of days camping and when I got back I picked her up and said "I missed you."

"Missed me?" the cat replied. "Oh, I hadn't noticed you were gone." And with that she stalked off in a huff.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,651,158 times
I think if we all just vanished, our cat would move in across the street. The lady there is the one who found her as a kitten and gave her to us. She feeds her when we go out of town for more than a day.

I think she'd miss us, but would adapt over there pretty quickly. How well the neighbor's cat would adapt to her moving in is another story.

We had company over New Year's Eve/Day. The cat stayed outside the whole time. As we watched the last car drive off, I saw our cat emerge from somewhere across the street and ran back to our house.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM

6,441 posts, read 2,055,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
If you ever disappeared and never came home again (and someone else took care of your cats), do you think your cats would miss you? Would they remember you after a couple days?

I like to think that my 15 year old torby girl (tortoise-shell tabby) loves me so much (which she does) that she would die of sadness if I left one day and never returned home. She doesn't give my wife nearly the amount of attention and affection that she gives me. She's either laying her butt down on my keyboard or mouse, or napping on and furring up a second office chair (the Princess Pad) that I have next to the one I'm sitting in now. She even brings a toy mouse up to the desk and plops it in front of keyboard as an offering.

In answer to the posted question, our cats lived with my sister-in-law for several months and seemed to recognize my wife and I and weren't afraid of us.
I think cats (and dogs) are like elephants - they remember everything. I watched my cat (the one in my other post about nose bleed) fall into such sad grieving after his litter mate sister died I thought I would lose him. He's now 12 and his sister died at age 2yrs3mo. It was sudden. I had necropsy done and it showed FIP. They were like attached twins in the same posture all the time, did everything together and I did observe that she led the way. You had to watch closely because it was like a nano second but he followed her.

He stopped eating except for just a taste. He would stay near me but oh so sad and two weeks later he was dropping weight. I did not want to upset him further with a vet visit, meds for depression, etc not at a time like that. Then a cat miracle happened. Another cat, a very small nine year old female, classic tabby with one eye and a pinned leg, went to him one day and began to furiously give him a bath and I do mean furiously. She licked hard and fast with an expression in that one pretty eye as if she was thinking, "I'm tired of this and you had better shape up or else!" He just melted and when she was done with the bathing he followed her to the food dish. She stayed with him constantly, continued the bathing and curled up with him for naps. And two weeks later to the day, she stopped pampering him. Just like that. And he was fine! The tabby died a year ago at age 18.

I think it's quite possible a cat would grieve the same for losing a human. They will respond to kindness from others but never forget the one that softened their heart with love.

Happy Valentines Day, Cat Lovers!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,903,584 times
Yah! My kitty definitely would because she is like family to us.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,268,332 times
Absolutely. After our daughter got married and moved out, our cat would go into her room every day and look for her. When she came home for a visit the cat would be joyous at seeing her home again. I speak in the past tense because our much loved cat died this past weekend at almost 13 years.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM

49,305 posts, read 45,862,394 times
odie would complain about the poorer service (mine is excellent) that is about it. if men would study cats they would understand women much better.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,152,007 times
i never fully enjoy my vacations because im always sort of upset that my boys arent with me. my wife and i talk about the cats througout all of our trips. and they definitely notice when we are gone. my one cat will sit on my guitar amplifier for days on end until i come home when i am away.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

6,441 posts, read 2,055,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Absolutely. After our daughter got married and moved out, our cat would go into her room every day and look for her. When she came home for a visit the cat would be joyous at seeing her home again. I speak in the past tense because our much loved cat died this past weekend at almost 13 years.
So sorry for the loss of your beloved cat, Bideshi. The tears pour, I know. Bless you for giving your cat a life of love.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 1,571 times
I've gone on vacation in the past for days at a time and our cats always seemed really excited when we got back (and sick looking!). Our dad stayed home to take care of them because of work, so it could be that he wasn't feeding them often. I'd text/call to remind him though, so who knows :/ Our one two cats that have passed on didn't do so good whenever we left.

My kitty is very needy and follows me everywhere/sleeps with me/etc. When I work 3rd shift sometimes, my mom says she meows frequently. Which I can believe... anytime I shut my door and she's not inside my room she meows and jumps at the doorknob until I open it! XD

So, yes, if I disappeared I think they'd notice and care! well, at least my needy kitty. My 8 year old is more independent now, so who knows with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats