Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,817,512 times

Advertisements

I know breed can make a difference but does a red cat have a different personality from a black cat and is there a general personality trait which can be fixed to one color over another?

I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,398,666 times
I don't think so either. I do prefer orange tabby cats but I've had two so far and they both had/have a very different catsonality. Years ago my husband and I fed two strays - one was jet black with white paws (we named him 'Mittens') and one was grey and white (we named him 'Shadow' - yes, we named the strays we fed!). They were both such cool cats. There was a deli around the corner from our house. Mittens would follow us when we went, sit outside and patiently wait for us, and then walk us back home. Shadow got hit by a car and hurt his leg badly, we took him to the vet and the vet said he'd treat him but gave him only a teeny, tiny percentage chance for survival. Well, not only did Shadow survive, he still ran albeit with a slight limp! Anyone not knowing about his accident wouldn't even have noticed his slight limp. Very cool cats indeed. I miss them.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,784,276 times
ive hear lots of sterotypes and i do belive they get a start somewhere...
my experience has been that certain colors tend to have certain traits...
the best mousers ive personally ever known have all been black cats, and ive never met a calico or tortie who wasnt a sweet but slightly demanding love bug...and ive yet to meet an orange tabby who wasnt just an attention and touch...*insert choice word here* lol.

i think like people you cant say all black cats will be good mousers anymore than you can say all redheads have short tempers....but i think theres enough truth to it to make an "in general" satement.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,544,904 times
I dunno, I'm biased but solid black cats drive me nuts. They are soo unreal & smart & -- can read minds!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,965,811 times
Over the years, I have had three black cats.....and they all had totally different personalities.....so I say no.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,781,223 times
My Orange Tabby boys are very docile and trusting when I do stuff to them like give medication or treat wounds.

It's a different story with my Tortie girls.

Our vet agrees that Orange tabbies are the easiest to work on.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
I don't really think so, but I haven't had long interactions with so many different colors. Just basing it on short ones, and I feel like I've mixtures of all colors be shy, all colors be outgoing, all colors be high energy, all colors be mellow, etc. It seems odd to me behavior should go with coloring, but certainly the coloring could go along with other genetic traits that might influence behavior.

I've heard the term "tortitude" and although I would hesitate to attribute those traits only to torties I certainly would place Amber amongst the cats who could be said to have it. Her coloring is technically torbie, though, as it's not fully tortoise shell but has a mixture of tabby as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
Think about Dobies and pit bulls and cocker spaniels. They each have a set of behaviors/personality that is known to go with the breed. I think cats are somewhat similar but not so strictly behaved. Ever met a really friendly Siamese? Most but not all orange tabbies are laid-back love bugs. Calicos are known to get psychotic as they age - again not all but it is a known risk. I think that whatever gene is tied to coloration is also tied to genes that influence personality.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,115,847 times
Decades ago my local humane socity put down ALL torties! Yet I had 2 that were sweeties!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
I don't know about color personalitiies...but I do know that tuxedo cats seem to make excellent mousers, every tux cat we had seemed to "know" how to catch mice...we had a wonderful little Norwegian Forest Cat, he was a sweet cat, but had no clue about what mice were for, or how to catch them. He would watch them run, intently, then put out a paw, like they would come over to him. I do know that breed cats do have very distinct personalities...Jasper, Pure Breed Bengal, fits the breed standard...he does not really like to be cuddled much...still a bit "wild", but he is friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats