Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingon View Post
]My suggestion would be to plant Catnip between the two properties.
Between would be the street.

Just teasing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They're sort of feral. They were born outside and have never been inside. They're basically ignored except for feeding. It's obvious when the neighbor has forgotten them. I can see them waiting forever to be fed on occassion.
Have they been neutered and spayed? Someone should trap and neuter/spay them at least, even if they are returned to the same place. Animal Friends is doing super low cost on these at the moment. The last thing you need is for them to continue to breed out there; you won't believe the number of cats that will result!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Have they been neutered and spayed? Someone should trap and neuter/spay them at least, even if they are returned to the same place. Animal Friends is doing super low cost on these at the moment. The last thing you need is for them to continue to breed out there; you won't believe the number of cats that will result!
They're not neutered/spayed. His pets don't go to the vets for anything. They just keep breeding. Litters two years in a row. I'm sure there's another on the way this spring. One highly recommended solution across the internet is trapping and taking to the humane society. That's a bit extreme. I'll have to think about it.

I should have a talk with him. He's a fool but he's not mean. I just don't have any high hopes because of a conversation we had back when there was a rabid raccoon. I went to warn him and he shrugged his shoulders like "if they get rabies, oh well." I had no idea they weren't vaccinated when I went to tell him about the racoon. It blows my mind because he has small children.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was goofing, but it would be possible since much of their property is wooded.
If so, there's probably plenty of diggable dirt already on their owner's property. What makes yours so appealing? If you can make it un-appealing, they'll go elsewhere.

Those poor kitties. They deserve better than someone who largely ignores them.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If so, there's probably plenty of diggable dirt already on their owner's property. What makes yours so appealing? If you can make it un-appealing, they'll go elsewhere.
He doesn't have landscaping over there. We have flower beds, vegetable gardens, foundation plantings, compost pile, etc. My dirt is loose and easy to kick around and bury poop. This is a high clay soil region so any earth that isn't prepared for a garden is difficult to dig. I like to garden so I'm not going to stop. Solutions that make it less appealing include putting pricky things in the dirt, like toothpicks, holly and rose bush cuttings, etc. While cats are smart enough to stay out of a bed of prickly things, my dogs aren't that smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Those poor kitties. They deserve better than someone who largely ignores them.
I do think it's sad. I like cats. He's a super irresponsible owner. I've heard them be reprimanded by visiting relatives for letting these cats get pregnant and ignoring them. So it isn't like people haven't tried to talk to them about it.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I wouldn't call him owner, really. Even if this may have started with cats he brought in, at this point he's a caretaker for ferals, not really an owner.

I know you probably don't want to be this involved, but here is some info on feral cats and TNR (trap/neuter/return):

Animal Friends: Feral cat information and resources

Here is the current special going on with low-cost spay/neuter at Animal Friends. Animal Friends: Beat the Heat with Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Specials!

How many cats are floating around there now? They will multiply like crazy starting in spring and all through the summer. The time to get on this is really now because if you let it go the problem will just get unmanageable. It's going to affect your whole neighborhood really.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call him owner, really. Even if this may have started with cats he brought in, at this point he's a caretaker for ferals, not really an owner.

I know you probably don't want to be this involved, but here is some info on feral cats and TNR (trap/neuter/return):

Animal Friends: Feral cat information and resources
Maybe he is willing to do this. If not, I'll do it. I'm not timid. I'll do what needs to be done.

I hope they are tame enough to be placed in a home. They did have human contact when they were young. I'm not sure if they had enough contact to be tame though. They are very skitterish. If they have to come back to the environment they know, I hope Animal Friends gives them enough time to recover before being set loose. I'll call tomorrow.

Quote:
How many cats are floating around there now? They will multiply like crazy starting in spring and all through the summer.
I think it's down to five or six. They disappear (probably die) pretty fast. They're not very bright (probably due to inbreeding). They stand in the middle of the road and stare at cars.

Quote:
The time to get on this is really now because if you let it go the problem will just get unmanageable. It's going to affect your whole neighborhood really.
You're right. I wanted to do something in the Summer. I posted in the dog forum and an idiot gave me a hard time telling me I had some nerve judging my neighbor, it's a free world and crap. It ended up being a thread where the moderators deleted a bunch of posts. LOL

I had no idea these feral cat programs existed.

Thank you, Greg! You've been a big help!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
don't know but if mothballs deter armadillos, snakes, etc maybe it would work on cats and wouldn't hurt - unless the dogs ate them

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
don't know but if mothballs deter armadillos, snakes, etc maybe it would work on cats and wouldn't hurt - unless the dogs ate them
I've read mothballs are toxic. Not only is that dangerous for the cats and dogs, we grow food in those garden beds.

Thanks for posting though.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Hm....I like the idea of a sand pit but hauling in sand seems prohibitive. Maybe just finding a couple of spots and digging up the dirt till its nice and soft like your garden and flower beds.
I had a friend that used tuna cans with a little ammonia in them placed around her flower beds. If you don't want to try to ammonia maybe vinegar. you would have to put more out every time it rains.
Also....I didn't read the links but I think cats don't like the feel of some of the rougher mulches. Couple of inches of some nice choppy wood mulch might deter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats