Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times

Advertisements

I agree to contact the local animal shelters, animal control, even some local vets and email them a picture in case someone finds him and brings him in. Let any of your neighbors know - maybe they can help look for him. Get anyone who HE knows to go over there and try to find him - he may feel safe and go to someone he knows rather than the IDIOT who lost him.

I would have that girls ass. Have her put food out on the porch so he can eat - wet food for smell.

I hope he comes back. I'm so so very sorry for you. I truly hope you find him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Oh my gosh! Oh no! Every pet lover's nightmare. When will you be home? I agree with the others, contact all the shelters and vets right now.

And that stupid careless piece of work better be hanging out flyers and calling people too, at her own expense. She should be spending every moment working on ways to find him from setting out a havahart, to searching the internet for tips on how to recover a lost cat. I just...cannot believe this.

I am so so sorry. I am praying hard for your dear little boy. I am beside myself with fury, and it's not even my cat.

St Francis, Patron Saint of Animals, and St Gertude, Patron Saint of Cats, please watch over little Toby while he is on his adventure and keep him safe. St Anthony, Patron Saint of Lost Things, please help those searching for Toby find him quickly. And St Christopher, Patron Saint of Travelers, please protect Toby in his travels and guide him safely home.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
Oh no! That's horrible. I probably be in jail right now if something like that happened to my Toby (bodily harm to the pet sitter or similar) I hope he comes back soon!!!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Since you have pictures available to you, I would contact your local shelter at least and let them know that he is missing. Do you know your neighbors, can you contact them too? I would be livid with that sitter too. I realize accidents happen but some people don't realize how much they mean to us. Hope Toby is found!!
She has had one of my neighbors who knows Toby (more on this below) helping to look for him. They've looked on all the neighbors' properties, under cars, nooks and crannies. No luck. I also called another neighbor who knows him and she's helping look for him, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

I hope Toby comes home or is found soon. He's so cute. I'd be very upset too. Let us know what happens. Good luck. Hopefully he's just hanging out in a neighbor's yard and will be home soon.
I'm sure he has to be somewhere nearby. He's from a litter that the neighbor mentioned above's cat had. He was born outside and lived his first 8 weeks between our two houses, until I caught him and brought him in.

He's a little escape artist and tries to run out all the time. Once he ran out between my legs and neither my husband nor I could even chase him down. He ran and ran from us, going off every which way when we thought we had him cornered.

Then he ran off out of sight and we searched and searched. About half an hour later my husband found him in the neighbor's yard behind our house, cowering under a bush, shaking like a little leaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post

You must be worried sick. How long are you going to be away? If it's much better, you'd better contact animal control and local shelters now so they're aware someone is looking for Toby if someone brings him in. I'm very sorry you're going through this, and hoping for Toby's safe return.
We aren't scheduled to be home until next Sunday night - late. So frustrating. Thomas has offered to fly home early (I have a conference in St. Louis that starts on Wednesday that he doesn't really need to stay for - we're vacationing at Lake of the Ozarks right now), but I don't want him to have to.

When we had Toby fixed we also had him chipped, so if anyone does pick him up and take him to a shelter or a vet's office, they'll scan him and find out contact information to let us know they've got him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Toby may have just been upset that someone new is in the house. Usually, they don't go far and he will show up shortly after he knows you are home again. Maybe your neighbor can put some food out for him until you return. My little twit will hide under the neighbor's porch where I can't see her when she is out and something frightens her. After many hours she will make a dash for the safety of her own home, usually around dinner time.

The sitter's story sounds a little off to me but I suppose it is possible.

Please keep us posted as I know how distressing it can be.
Toby knows Katherine well and adores her. He is the most lovey-dovey kitty I've ever had. He really and truly loves all people. No, he just saw the open door and made a dash for it. Believe me, it's totally in his nature to have done that.

She put food and water out in the garage and left the side door open for him, and put food and water out on the patio. Both were eaten to the bottom of the bowls, but I assure you it wasn't by Toby, but by either the skunks, the possums, the raccoons or the other cats that frequent our patio. My bet would be a wild animal (most cats won't eat to the bottom of a bowl of food after only 1 night & 1 day outside).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post

I agree to contact the local animal shelters, animal control, even some local vets and email them a picture in case someone finds him and brings him in. Let any of your neighbors know - maybe they can help look for him. Get anyone who HE knows to go over there and try to find him - he may feel safe and go to someone he knows rather than the IDIOT who lost him.

I would have that girls ass. Have her put food out on the porch so he can eat - wet food for smell.

I hope he comes back. I'm so so very sorry for you. I truly hope you find him.
Neighbors are helping, but here's the rub — he has a litter-mate and a brother from another litter that look just like him. One looks exactly like him. We've been telling Toby for months, "You better never run outside and get lost because we won't be able to tell the difference between you and Paisano!" (as if he understood us).
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Oh my gosh! Oh no! Every pet lover's nightmare. When will you be home? I agree with the others, contact all the shelters and vets right now.

And that stupid careless piece of work better be hanging out flyers and calling people too, at her own expense. She should be spending every moment working on ways to find him from setting out a havahart, to searching the internet for tips on how to recover a lost cat. I just...cannot believe this.

I am so so sorry. I am praying hard for your dear little boy. I am beside myself with fury, and it's not even my cat.
She's not even answering her f**&(#% cell phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

St Francis, Patron Saint of Animals, and St Gertude, Patron Saint of Cats, please watch over little Toby while he is on his adventure and keep him safe. St Anthony, Patron Saint of Lost Things, please help those searching for Toby find him quickly. And St Christopher, Patron Saint of Travelers, please protect Toby in his travels and guide him safely home.
Thank you so much for your prayers. And thank you everyone for your kind words and good wishes. As much access as I have to a computer, I'll try to keep you posted. As you can probably guess, still no Toby.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
She's not even answering her f**&(#% cell phone.
I would probably be arrested for the messages I would be leaving her

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
He might decide to come back. Has he done this before? Please let us know what happens.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post

I would probably be arrested for the messages I would be leaving her
She's kind of like a niece to me — I helped her mother raise her as her babysitter and as her live-in nanny for a time, from the time she was 6 months old until she was about 10 (she's 36 now). She has called me Aunt Jill her whole life. I'm equally furious at her and feeling sorry for her at the same time, because I know she feels terribly horribly awful about it.

But my last message was very stern, that's for sure. Still haven't heard from her since last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

He might decide to come back. Has he done this before? Please let us know what happens.
Not like this, no. He tries to dash out when we go outside, and he did race out of our sight for about half an hour or so once, but he's never been given access to just walking out on his own unnoticed like this. Tonight will be his third night outside.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry about your Toby Kitty.

Interesting information about pet sitters in general staying at your home. She sounds like she does not know much about cats, or even likes them.

Crossed paws for Toby Kitty safe return.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Has he been abused? Why so much eagerness to escape?
That comment is totally uncalled for.

Jill, I'm so sorry! Keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Has he been abused? Why so much eagerness to escape?
If you're not a troll (right), you don't sound like somebody who's ever been in the same room as a cat before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats