U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 AM

6,632 posts, read 5,427,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummifuzz View Post
They also have less undigestible ingredients compared to Friskies so you should see less poop. If you can, avoid the foods with grains. Hope this helps.
What is the indigestible ingredient in Friskies canned food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

It's not the perect solution, but we have found that skipping a meal is far more dangerous than eating kibble.
I can't find any information that this has been proven. Plus, remember all the starving bony strays out there who get adopted. Including starving kittens. They don't automatically die. They eat and gain like any starving animal. A cat must go awhile before being dangerously affected by missed meals... haven't you read about cats found who were trapped in shipping crates and moving vans for days and were soon fine and returned to their owners. They were dehydrated for the most part. And feral cats are not dying from missed meals. When there are bad storms cats will often hole-up for several days at a time without food or water.

The first time we took Zebulon, 5 months old at the time, snow-birding in the RV with us, he refused to eat for several days. He was upset and miserable. The morning of the 3rd day, he ate normally. Now he travels just fine, even on long trips, but doesn't care for it. He doesn't miss a meal on the road these days.

The sooner cats are weaned off dry kibble of any brand, except for medical purposes, the healthier they will be.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM

46 posts, read 79,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
What is the indigestible ingredient in Friskies canned food?
Oh, things like wheat gluten in the gravy-type cans. That gives my guys stinky poops.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 AM

4,322 posts, read 4,986,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
tuna fish. a very spoiled cat. i remember times in my life where tuna fish was a real treat.
Do you mean human tuna or cat food?

Feeding your cat only human tuna fish would certainly be "spoiling" your cat, but not in the way you mean.

A cat fed nothing but tuna is going to be badly malnourished. Human tuna is not a balanced diet for cats.

"Spoiling" in the way you imply would be feeding your cat a high quality balanced diet. Which human tuna is not.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Very true. I get my food from places like that. However, *some* of the Fancy Feast Classics are grain free
Reading the Fancy Feast cans I found they contain by-products the same ingredients as Friskies, yet cost a lot more.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Oh, things like wheat gluten in the gravy-type cans. That gives my guys stinky poops.
Then skip the gravy type. There is so little gravy in the cans I doubt it would cause a cat problems. And some type of binder is needed in almost all cat foods.

Compared to even the best dry kibble, it's nothing.

All three of my cats get the same diet and yet one has really smelly poop and the other two do not.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Reading the Fancy Feast cans I found they contain by-products the same ingredients as Friskies, yet cost a lot more.
LOL yeah...Fancy Feast is a rip off IMO for what you get

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Then skip the gravy type. There is so little gravy in the cans I doubt it would cause a cat problems. And some type of binder is needed in almost all cat foods.

Compared to even the best dry kibble, it's nothing.

All three of my cats get the same diet and yet one has really smelly poop and the other two do not.
Sure...I just notice a difference between wheat gluten being used vs. say, tapioca. A huge smelly difference. But then again they're not used to eating massive amounts of Friskies, although they love it as a treat.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM

6,408 posts, read 5,579,681 times
The Fancy Feast classic line has no carbs but unfortunately it does have byproducts. The one Fancy Feast that isn't "classic" that is also no carb is the flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast. And it is the Fancy Feast that has no byproducts at all. So that one, at least, is a good choice.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,829,662 times
Quote:
I can't find any information that this has been proven. Plus, remember all the starving bony strays out there who get adopted. Including starving kittens. They don't automatically die.
They don't die, but they can get fatty liver disease from not eating.

Fatty Liver Disease in Cats | petMD

I've found that if my cats don't eat, they don't get ravenous. Instead, they tend to lose interest in food. And thus, the cycle begins. So, it's better for my kids to eat something than to miss a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats