Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times

Advertisements

For Valentine's day my husband bought me a bouqet of Easter lillies. We didn't know that they were toxic to cats and our sweet baby got ahold of them. She died three days ago of liver, pancreas, and kidney failure. PLEASE, PLEASE do not let your cat near lilllies. Easter lillies, stargazer, and day lilies are all EXTREMELY toxic to cats. One or two bites of either the leaf or the petals is deadly. Even the pollen could kill them. Please learn from our devastation if you did not already know this. We are heartbroken and devestated. I don't even know how to go on....

I don't know how to put her picture in here, so I will just put a picture of her in my album if anyone wants to see her. She is the tiny one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM

I figured it out. Here she is....I miss her so, so much.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
For Valentine's day my husband bought me a bouqet of Easter lillies. We didn't know that they were toxic to cats and our sweet baby got ahold of them. She died three days ago of liver, pancreas, and kidney failure. PLEASE, PLEASE do not let your cat near lilllies. Easter lillies, stargazer, and day lilies are all EXTREMELY toxic to cats. One or two bites of either the leaf or the petals is deadly. Even the pollen could kill them. Please learn from our devastation if you did not already know this. We are heartbroken and devestated. I don't even know how to go on....

I don't know how to put her picture in here, so I will just put a picture of her in my album if anyone wants to see her. She is the tiny one.

My sympathies for loss of your kitty and thank you for posting the advice. Personally I do not do any sort of greeny planty growy in the dirt things so it is not an issue here.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
I will pray for God to comfort you during this difficult time. I'm so sorry for your loss

Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
I am so very sorry for you having lost your baby girl. I know your heart is broken - and I thank you on behalf of everyone who may not know about how deadly some plants are to cats. I have read and re-read the list many times but since I can't remember I have an ironclad rule of NO living plant materials in my home. Poinsettia's are especially deadly but I forgot about lillies. She is/was a beautiful girl and I know it was just an accident - but it hurts anyway. Sending you a big hug <hug>.....

Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. In addition to the overwhelming grief we feel, we are struggling with intense guilt. We were supposed to be her family and keep her safe. I can only hope someone reads this and doesn't bring lillies into their home or plant them in their yard. With Easter coming up, lillies are everywhere so I hope I can stop even one person from going through what we are.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Please forgive yourselves for not knowing that about lilies. Experience is all too often a harsh teacher. Try to take comfort in realizing that you could very well have saved MANY pets' lives by thoughtfully posting this message. It should also serve as a "word to the wise" for folks who allow their cats to go outside. Day lilies and other species in the same plant family are common in many places. They're no less toxic when growing in someone's yard.

Also don't forget that your surviving cat is going through the grieving and mourning process as well. When my now-deceased Weasie and I were faced with existing without her brother - who vanished, never to be found, a few months after they were adopted - she did what any bereft human does. For weeks she barely touched food and would sit in one place howling. All I could do was give her the usual lovin' and let time do its work. Thanks for doing the same for the cat who was left behind.

After 19 1/2 almost entirely happy years, I helped Weeze transition to her new life in January. No one can tell me that she isn't having a ball in her current form. She's with her long-lost brother. They check on me out of the corner of an eye and await the day when we'll all be together again. Call me crazy - but I saw signs of this as Weasie's life ebbed away in my lap, and I've gotten some "messages from beyond" that defy explanation. And so it will be with the cat who departed this life too soon.

(((HUGS)))

Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry about your cat. I don't let any plants in my home, except for bamboo, which I know is okay.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
In addition to the overwhelming grief we feel, we are struggling with intense guilt. We were supposed to be her family and keep her safe.
Try and let go of that as best you can. Weasie was stricken by liver cancer and fought it like the trouper she was. Even had she not been 19 years old when the disease invaded it would've been inoperable. One night I held her in my lap and petted her as I sobbed without shame and said, "I can try and make you feel better. But I can't make you well." The guilt was there, big time, for the reason brought up. She put her complete faith in me to be the one who made everything right and fixed all the problems, and I was failing. I'm sure she understood that the issue was out of my hands. Cats have their ways of knowing.

Your cat is aware this was a terrible accident and holds no ill will. Trust me on this one.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I'm very sorry to hear of your kitty's passing. I can understand your feelings; I'm sure I'd feel the same way. I think channeling some of it into warning others is a commendable thing to do. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I always avoided plants with the cat, but mainly I was just concerned she would wreck it somehow (she's always been one to get into anything, and chew things). I don't know how much I really considered the toxicity....

No matter how we lose a cat, it is a sad thing, and although I can't say we ever get over it, time passing will eventually help. Take care and don't be too hard on yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats