Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times

Advertisements

Wow you were up pretty late, even judging by AZ time. At least you didn't have to switch to DST. (Anecdote about AZ time: about a year and a half ago we were out near the north rim of the Grand Canyon in the morning, waiting for this shop/restaurant to open. Someone else came up and banged on the door. They were a few minutes behind perhaps, but not worth banging on the door about. Had been sitting in the car because it's cold, but got out to talk/commiserate. Turns out he thought it was an hour later than it was! I explained that AZ doesn't do DST and thus they are on the same time as California until November. LOL)

Movin what is the dose of methimazole? Just curious. The tabs I have are 5mg each and we started with half a pill twice a day, so that may be what you have started at as well. I believe a cat would normally seem a little lethargic with hyperthyroid anyway (just going on memory here though). Once the meds have some effect, it should actually get better. Since it's been a few days, it's possible that the dose isn't high enough, but then it's also possible it just hasn't had a lot of effect yet. There's a reason they don't retest for 4-6 weeks.

Yes the hyperthyroid can mask other issues (typically kidney if anything) but my understanding is it's not really possible to know that very well until after those few weeks. Apparently the hyperthyroid could be artificially propping up the kidney values in the test, something like this. It's quite possible this won't be the case, though, especially in a younger cat. Is your cat persian, himalayan or related? If so there is an inherited form of kidney disease that these cats sometimes get, which shows up at younger ages than we would otherwise expect. Other than that, though, unless your cat is somehow a LOT older than estimated (I doubt she's older than 10 and probably is younger than that) I think the likelihood of the hyperthyroid masking anything is pretty small in your case.

Some crying and such is sometimes associated with hyperthyroid from what I remember someone else mentioning. Typically it's crying with no apparent cause I think. If there is some issue with elimination, that may be a separate problem. Amber drinks a lot, and I had gotten worried that this is a kidney issue, but so far it doesn't seem to be from the tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,544,904 times
Haha, yeah greg AZ is forgotten land & land time forgot!

But I do agree that I've seen most of what you say re: hyperthyroid & possible kidney masking, etc

I may retest sooner in 2 wk vs 4 but will see. The does is 1/4 of a pill due to her approx. 6.6lbs of body. He cut it low I guess, & scored them for us, thus we disguise in 2 dry treats w/ CET t-paste & make an "oreo" type cookie w/ the "creme" holding the pill. LOL

Ok, here's a quick review of how this ALL went down. Last Mon. she awoke w/ a bad sneezing but played string, etc. w/ me as usual. But Mon. nite she spelt,awoke rearly Tue. morn & pooped 3/x wet, vomited 1x, the looked peeked w/ hiding under furniture, bad tearing right eye.

I was scared & called vet, & they said wait til Wed. & if same then bring her asap. I did that. He felt her body/neck & gave her antiobiotic 7-10 day shot injected, & IV electrolyte fluids to help hydrate. We didn't ever get clear reason she was there & if it really was URI or??

Then he bld tested due to wght drop from yr 11/10 of 8.6, to 11/11 of 7.6, to now 6.6 lbs. He said, "I don't like that drop" & asked if eating was ok? I said yes, but occasional vomit/wet poop follows. He felt her thyroid but didn't tell me, I bet. He knew I think, but wanted bld wk to confirm. Thus he said let's wait for results tomorrow.

Thurs. he called & said she's got T4 level of 13.7, thus come pickup & begin her meds asap.

I did this & we remain at this point as of know. I am thinking to hold off til 30 days of Methimazole prior to Radioactive Iodine to check kidney, etc, functions. You guys (greg) agree?

Today was 1st day since Wed. she played a bit of string/seems more alert rested/active, but not too much yet, & seems tired yet from either antibiotic or Methamziloe in her Don't know...

Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM

11,198 posts, read 19,378,376 times
Antibiotics can definitely cause a kitty to be tired and go off her food and routine. She's got a lot going on all at once. I know it's nerve wracking but you do have to give the various treatments time to do what they are supposed to do, and her body time to adjust to the meds. Hang in there, she couldn't be in better hands, this I know for sure. xx

Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Antibiotics can definitely cause a kitty to be tired and go off her food and routine. She's got a lot going on all at once. I know it's nerve wracking but you do have to give the various treatments time to do what they are supposed to do, and her body time to adjust to the meds. Hang in there, she couldn't be in better hands, this I know for sure. xx
Purrfect, ahaha, I KNEW you'd be here sooner or later But yes you're right I gotta hold-my-horses tho being type AAA+ I have trouble w/ that.

She seems ok & is laying here & upside down rolling around/over, etc. We shall see how all goes. Thanks for your compliment of "good hands" but I'd rather have ALL-State insurance insur her than me. Hehee

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
I don't have anything to add. Besides, whatever catsmom says is what you want to listen to anyway rather than me.

Take care and keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,352,950 times
I'd just like to say, not to hold off on the Methimazole without going over it with your vet. The thyroid levels need to be regulated somewhat for them to do the Radioactive Iodine treatment. (I say this not as a parent of a hyperthyroid cat, but as a formerly hyperthyroid person who had the RI treatment.)

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'd just like to say, not to hold off on the Methimazole without going over it with your vet. The thyroid levels need to be regulated somewhat for them to do the Radioactive Iodine treatment. (I say this not as a parent of a hyperthyroid cat, but as a formerly hyperthyroid person who had the RI treatment.)
Thanks.

I'm giving her a low 1/4 dose of a 5mg pill, 2x/day. I almost forgot today but got it in her a few hrs late. We'll see a "'2nd opinion ALL-cats" vet, so hope she'll clearup some issues my guy vet seems foggy on. I'd like an expert seeing ONLY cats, it makes me feel a bit better this way.

Greg, thanks so much as you've been here nonstop to answer my questions.

Catsmom, I agree, is beyond reproach & is as close to being a vet -- w/out a license -- as could be. She is a GREAT add to this board!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,264,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

I am thinking to hold off til 30 days of Methimazole prior to Radioactive Iodine to check kidney, etc, functions. You guys (greg) agree?
ow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
The way movintime phrased "it", it is hard to understand, but she is already on Methimazole.

movintime ... Even though I feel I took Saber to an incompetent vet, (if I had known about forums at the time, I would have known to change vets) and it doesn't hurt to be informed, you need to let your vet decide when to proceed, and when to run more tests.

Also, you don't want to be the "backseat driver" or "stage mother" ... you want them to be happy to see you and your cat, for your cats sake.

If, from your research, you don't feel comfortable with this vet, then find another, otherwise, ask informed questions, but don't question everything your vet does.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
The way movintime phrased "it", it is hard to understand, but she is already on Methimazole.

movintime ... Even though I feel I took Saber to an incompetent vet, (if I had known about forums at the time, I would have known to change vets) and it doesn't hurt to be informed, you need to let your vet decide when to proceed, and when to run more tests.

Also, you don't want to be the "backseat driver" or "stage mother" ... you want them to be happy to see you and your cat, for your cats sake.

If, from your research, you don't feel comfortable with this vet, then find another, otherwise, ask informed questions, but don't question everything your vet does.
Hmm, yes you're right. I'm so overprotective, glad I never had kids or a daughter to worry about. Man, I'd go totally nuts as this lil cat sends me into orbit. LOL

I'll see the new vet tomorrow based on her rep & her ALL-CAT practice, etc. I'm doing this to just ensure that I feel comfy, & get her to affirm his diagnosis. We'll see if I'm better tomorrow nite after I update what she says. Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,264,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'll see the new vet tomorrow based on her rep & her ALL-CAT practice, etc. I'm doing this to just ensure that I feel comfy, & get her to affirm his diagnosis. We'll see if I'm better tomorrow nite after I update what she says. Thanks again everyone.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats