Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research on cones and would like to hear of any recommendations. The reason I need one is my cat won't stop scratching a sore near her ear. The problem that caused the sore is gone, but now the scab is forming, and every time it almost heals, she opens it up again, because - in healing, it itches.

There are many cones on the market from the plastic, hard e-cone to this one:
Buy Comfy Cone from DrsFosterSmith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/1/1/7218-comfy-cone.html - broken link)
which actually I'm thinking of getting.

But I can't tell how rigid it is. If it is too soft, my cat would mangle it. You know how sharp cat's claws are, they can go thru almost anything.

The hard cone, the traditional e-cone, would definitely be impenetrable, but by all reports, it is very uncomfortable.

Any feed-back appreciated. She only needs to wear it a few days, bec. the scab forms fairly quickly.

thanks,
ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
e-collars aren't necessarily uncomfortable (don't pull it that tight!) - what they are is annoying! for one thing, they funnel noise differently, and the cat can't use their whiskers for exploring and sensing as well. They like to play pitiful and claim they can't reach their food or water --which of course they can... but they're much to pathetic The best e-collar I've seen I got from William's ophthalmologist, it was clear.

There are also the the blow-up donut/lifesaver ones. I think the plastic is heavy enough that they can't puncture it.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,219 times
This may be the same as the one you posted, but, it was recommended in a thread on FHS and then I linked it to one of my threads.

My point, I guess, is that this PO did a huge amount of research (on all aspects of FHS type symptoms) on cones, and she chose this one Amazon.com: Comfy Cone PetE-Collar, Small, Tan: Pet Supplies

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times
thanks.
yes, I saw this comfy one.
I'm thinking that my cat might tear it apart with her claws since it is made of material.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
thanks.
yes, I saw this comfy one.
I'm thinking that my cat might tear it apart with her claws since it is made of material.
Maybe, but how deep could she really go, it looks like you could rotate it so she wouldn't be scratching the same spot.

If the less flexible cones wear or dig a raw spot on her neck, you've got another problem.

Maybe the vet could recommend a topical analgesic as well, just don't use an OTC cream instead of consulting your vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats