Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM

1,093 posts, read 469,266 times

Advertisements

We got a kitten at 6 weeks from the human society. From the start she would nuzzle around our neck, soon she would start sucking on the skin. We tried to correct this behavoir by telling her no and removing her. She still continues at 16 weeks. She sucks to the point of drool dripping off her chin. We have tried misting her face with water, but she stops and soon is back at it. She finds a finger, arm any bare skin. It is disgusting!

Could she be deficient in a nutrient? How can we get her to stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,391,368 times
I haven't seen a kitten do that to the extent of yours, but have seen that to some degree. My personal guess is this kitten was removed or abandoned very young, long before weaning age. The kitten still has a strong urge to suck that never got fufilled as a young kitten.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 AM

417 posts, read 1,277,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I haven't seen a kitten do that to the extent of yours, but have seen that to some degree. My personal guess is this kitten was removed or abandoned very young, long before weaning age. The kitten still has a strong urge to suck that never got fufilled as a young kitten.
I agree. I had a Siamese cat, years ago, that liked to suck on my satin comforter. He was also 6 weeks old when I got him.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 AM

417 posts, read 1,277,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah53 View Post
We got a kitten at 6 weeks from the human society. From the start she would nuzzle around our neck, soon she would start sucking on the skin. We tried to correct this behavoir by telling her no and removing her. She still continues at 16 weeks. She sucks to the point of drool dripping off her chin. We have tried misting her face with water, but she stops and soon is back at it. She finds a finger, arm any bare skin. It is disgusting!

Could she be deficient in a nutrient? How can we get her to stop?
I wonder if you got a baby bottle and put special milk made for cats in it and let your kitten "nurse" for a few weeks if that would satisfy her need to nurse. The special milk should be warm. Hopefully she wouldn't chew the end of the nipple off.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Poor kitty. She was probably abandoned by her mother, or otherwise weaned before she was ready.

We don't know how old our cats, now almost 2, were before they were dumped in the parking lot behind our house, but they must have been very young. The female sucks her toes and kneads whatever's handy -- the floor, her brother, my leg ...

Have you asked your vet? Maybe a toy she could cuddle with would help.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,548,899 times
I guess I am the odd one of the bunch but I would love to have a kitty that does that? I think it is so sweet and shows the kitten loves you. My vet had a big beautiful orange male that would let anyone hold it, if you picked him up, you left with a wet shirt where he would suck on it.. I LOVED that cat and couldn't wait to hold him.

Have you tried offering your baby a stuffed animal to suck? Watch this You Tube video of this kitten.. I LOVE this!!

YouTube - Edwidge Dandicat and the Snuggle Bear

Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,366,445 times
It's not disgusting. The cat was taken from it's mother too young and is nursing on you. Push the kitty away immediately and say "no".

My boy cat nursed on his mother all his life. He loved to nurse, but at 12 years old, it drove his mother crazy. She would get made and hiss at him.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 33,558 times
We brought home two brother kittens a few years ago, and the orange one immediately found my neck and began to suck. I'd never had a pet that did it, and I was a little taken aback. But it didn't take long for me to understand, as I was adopted as an infant and was never breastfed. I sucked on my fingers until I was 8. So, I let the little guy do it for almost a year, knowing it was a comfort to him. He still tries for my neck from time to time, but is content to bump up against my lowered chin, and drool with sloppy contentment onto my shirt. BTW, it was a little difficult explaining the "kitty hickeys" to people, but I got used to the shocked expressions.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,099,662 times
I met a woman on another forum that had a full grown cat that sucked on a pacifier all day. She posted pictures of the cat. It looked peculiar, but somehoe cute and endearing.
It must be that some cats just like doing this. If it's very annoying, try a pacifier

Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM

115 posts, read 613,561 times
Think what the cats mom would do when it wanted them to stop. A couple of strong hissss and a slap alongside the head - a couple of times and they stop. My cat tried this a couple of times when he adopted us - after the first scolding he would not come around me for a few days now he loves his lap time and for short periods he sleeps on my chest and just purrrs away. He was so afraid of things because of whatever made him run away in the first place that if he was on my lap and I picked up a book or paper etc he was gone under the bed. Now he uses the book to scratch his chin! - We are back on his bad list now as we brought him to the vet for shots when we got home opened up the carrier he mad a dash for the bed and has not come out yet not even to eat. My cows were the same way they would nurse until nearly time when thier next baby's were due then the mom would push them away and if a gentle push didn't work then she found a way to get her point across. Animals know the difference between discipline and abuse just like children used to when discipline was not a four letter word.
Nearly every where I have lived animals seem to drop by for awhile this cat and also my dog. She was abused and it took about six months for her to get normal or near normal. She can not be talked loudly to and had to be trained other ways. But it was so easy just using hand signals , treats and lots of love!!- When we lived in another state (Calif) more than once cats would drop by for some food then go on their way. Once I had a pregnant Doberman stop by - stayed for the night then went on her way the next day.
well enough - bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats