Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear the good news about Zen Zen and praying the new food does the trick. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchywoman View Post
When you reference IBS in regards to ZenZen is your vet saying Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

I'm astonished your vet would have told you that a cat can "live a long time without food". I was told just two years ago that a cat can only live without food for a max of seven days until their livers shut down.

I only mention this because I moved with my two cats a bit over two years ago. Cats do not like changes and my female cat stopped eating after the move. After three days I called the vet and was told that after 7 days without eating a cat will go into liver failure due to lack of nutrition.

I honestly don't mean to alarm you but if you are being told that a cat can live "a long time without food", that isn't what my vet said. Have you considered a liquid diet similar to formula for human babies?

Just to qet some nutrition and hydrate your baby?
Less than seven days even, especially kitties who are overweight. In fact, to be safe, I would say no more than three days, unless perhaps if the cat is getting sub q fluids daily. Fatty liver disease is very serious and often fatal. The kidneys and the heart will also be affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
Sounds like Zen Zen and Oscar are going through something very similar. I hope he continues to improve.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,123,339 times
I am so happy ZenZen is showing signs of improvement, it was a great relief here. I have a cat Jelly that can't eat fish or chicken. I was told after a series of tests, the last one being a fiber optic tube going in looking around that she had Inflatrative Bowel Syndrome. They told me to remove fish and chicken from her diet which I did and that did seem to correct the problem. Thank you for posting the results we were so worried here, we all feel much better now.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,259,403 times
I realize I've been conspicuously absent from this thread. You and ZenZen have been in my thoughts, I just haven't been able find the words or the will to post until now. For that I apologize.

It became apparent to me awhile back that Meeko wasn't doing well on chicken, and when I revisited this thread (for a different reason)I found this old post of mine: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l#post23292046

Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,544,809 times
Sorry that I missed out on the whole thing - but now that I'm in the loop - I am very glad that ZenZen is home and feeling better (I'm sure you are too!!). I hope this resolves his problem and I will send both of you a big hug <<<hug>>>. Keep us posted on how he's doing - you are a good catmom to notice him being upset in the first place. I like that in a cat person!!!! <3

Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,259,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
He is just a slight bit jaundiced so I am thinking IBS affecting his liver. He has had one x-ray and will get the next one in the morning.

The vet said he could live a long time w/o food if he is drinking but I am not going to do that to him.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Copper is a requirement in the diets of cats, but they have certain levels they are supposed to absorb each day, which is somewhere between 2.3 and 7 mg per pound of food eaten. The three major signs of copper toxicity in cats are lethargy, vomiting and jaundice.

Vomiting
Cats are prone to vomiting as well as retching in an attempt to remove whatever foreign matter is disrupting their systems. In the case of copper toxicity, they will be unable to remove anything useful. Keep your cat hydrated and clean when it is vomiting.

Jaundice
Jaundice is a discoloration of the skin, whites of the eyes and other parts of the body. These portions of the body begin to turn yellow due to an excessive amount of bile pigments in the blood stream. Jaundice itself is not a problem, it is merely a symptom, similar to a runny nose or a cough. However, jaundice does indicate that the copper toxicity is becoming serious and if you have not sought medical attention, you should do so immediately.

New food safety scandal in China: Industrial heavy metal waste sold to animal feed manufacturers « Poisoned Pets (http://poisonedpets.com/2012/03/22/new-food-safety-scandal-in-china-industrial-heavy-metal-waste-sold-to-animal-feed-manufacturers/ - broken link)

Last year (Feb 2011) when Wellness quietly recalled lots of their canned cat food for thiamine deficiency, there were consumers that had independent labs test Wellness cans from the lots they had been feeding their cats.
One of the findings were: zinc levels that were too high.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
How is Zen Zen doing?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,662,246 times
Awwww... huggs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats