U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,353,034 times

Advertisements

Anyone know? I've used Wellness, Weruva, Soulistic & Nature's Variety (all of these brands are grain-free) but haven't seen a NON-poptop can yet? Anyone have an idea of a quality AND a NON-poptop can? Some say the poptops cause Hyperthyroid or so I've read/seen. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 AM

26,154 posts, read 17,414,122 times
I have arthritis and find it extremely difficult to open the pop top cans but apparently that is not your issue. How could the way the can is opened have any affect on the health of the cat? I don't understand.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM

9,886 posts, read 9,994,061 times
You can always open a poptop can with a can opener if you want. But I don't see how the lid could cause anything. This sounds like a case of mistaken correlation.

Now, the composition of cans, say, with BPA lining, that might be a cause of something. Nobody really knows. Some cans are BPA-free, but this does not, to my knowledge, correspond with the type of lid.

When's the last time you've even seen a non-poptop can? I can't even remember one! I've bought quite a lot of different cans over the last year or so, both 3 and 5.5oz, and they all pull off.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,051,840 times
my BiL gave us a fancy can opener for christmas - we both thought: and we're going to use it on WHAT can??? only cans I've seen lately that don't have a pop top has been tomato paste.

I agree with the others, I just don't see how the method of opening relates to health. sounds like a hoax to me.

Kudzu: have you tried using a knife to slide under the tab to pull it up? That's what DH was doing when his chemo fingers hurt trying to pry the tab up.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM

26,154 posts, read 17,414,122 times
Thanks wanna- I will try a knife.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM

4,268 posts, read 4,845,322 times
Pop tops on cat food cans HAVE been tentatively linked to hyperthyroid in cats, but there is no scientific correlation. I've said good bye to many elderly cats, all on canned diets with pop tops, and only one ever developed hyperthyroid and hers was directly related to her kidney disease.

If you are having trouble opening the cans, get one of these. I have very bad arthritis in my hands and this has been a life saver:

Campbell's "Pop 'n Pull" Can Tab Lifter: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Pop tops on cat food cans HAVE been tentatively linked to hyperthyroid in cats, but there is no scientific correlation.
But...how? I can't figure out any logical reason that could make any sense!

I can't remember if I was feeding any wet food before the hyperthyroid diagnosis, maybe a little. So maybe that caused it, heh. It's just so weird to think about....

Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM

4,268 posts, read 4,845,322 times
PS I think it was the BPA in pop top cans that was the concern. Many 3 oz and 5.5 oz cans are now BPA free so even if BPA was a cause for concern, it shouldn't be, for most, any more.

You're feeding merrick? or wellness? Their 5.5 oz cans are BPA free.

Here's one link on the subject. I have to leave no so can't do any more research at the moment

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/which-pet-foods-have-bpa-free-cans.html (broken link)

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-15-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
PS I think it was the BPA in pop top cans that was the concern. Many 3 oz and 5.5 oz cans are now BPA free so even if BPA was a cause for concern, it shouldn't be, for most, any more.
Heh, yes, this is what I was coming back to say after doing some quick searching. Just about everything I'm finding that references pop-top cans seems to be 3+ years old and most older. My tentative conclusion would be that this is just before we knew that the key factor was likely to be BPA. It's worth noting that a can needn't have a pop-top to contain BPA.

I also thought this quote was interesting (it was from another forum): "The one thing that is known for sure to increase the risk of hyperthyroidism in cats is age. Canned catfood is expensive. Because of this cost, it is likely that cats that are feed canned food tend to have owners that spend more on veterinary care, and keep their cats indoors. These cats in turn, would likely live to an older age. So perhaps there are a number of things contributing to this apparent link, including increased age. So far there have not been any studies that have convincingly removed the confounding factors."

This page has a study about cans (though note that at least sometimes it was all canned food and not just pop-tops) as well as noting the flame retardants. Feline Instincts Cat/Dog Thyroid Disease and Pop Top Can Pet Foods (http://www.felineinstincts.com/successStories/felinethyroiddiseaseandpoptopcanpetfoods.html - broken link)

And this one analyzes multiple correlations: Multivariate analysis of risk factors for feline h... [N Z Vet J. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI But there's nothing conclusive there. Sleeping on the floor might be related to the flame retardants though.

BTW, anyone know anything about this, which came up in my search (probably an ad on my search, actually)? Cat Hyperthyroidism Supplements - Resthyro for Feline Hyperthyroidism - Natural Herbal Remedy I have no idea whether it's reasonable to trust this kind of stuff or not, not sure how it's regulated, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

69 posts, read 45,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Now, the composition of cans, say, with BPA lining, that might be a cause of something. Nobody really knows. Some cans are BPA-free, but this does not, to my knowledge, correspond with the type of lid.

When's the last time you've even seen a non-poptop can? I can't even remember one! I've bought quite a lot of different cans over the last year or so, both 3 and 5.5oz, and they all pull off.
If pop top lids are causing cats to die, then I'm going to die, too. Not to make light of the OP, but all soups and canned vegetables I eat have the same pop top lids.

I hope someone smarter than me has an answer to this. As someone else posted, the ONLY cans that no longer have pop top lids are tomato paste. Not sure why that is. But years ago a can of tomato post exploded while in a kitchen cupboard.

It looked a scene from CSI in my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats