U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 PM

14,375 posts, read 8,155,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrontucker View Post
Don't waste any more $$ or time. Use REVOLUTION for cats/dogs available from most vets. Costs $20.00 & is worth every cent. Try it for one month. You'll see a huge difference. Retail flea/allergy products just aren't as effective. Flea allergies are horrible for our pets.
XXXXX

Had to search more and found this:
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-web...medication.biz

It's a rogue site, do not go there... sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,235,086 times
Look for liquid Benedryl in the children's section. Also, they have a clear liquid Benedryl, no dye, flavor, etc, that might be better for kitty. You can ask the pharmacist for a syringe, also, the pharmacist might be able to recommend the correct dose, pharmacies sell animal prescriptions, so, they should be able to recommend the correct dose.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,110,631 times
When I was moving I had the bright idea to give Liquid Benadryl to the cats to calm them...I thought it would be easier then shoving a pill down their throats. I had a syringe with no needle on it that they use for children to take liquid meds more easily, the minute the liquid hit his tongue, he started salivating like he was rabid. I later found out that cats and dogs do this in response to a horrible taste.
I gave up and listened to them cry.
When I pill a cat, I force open their mouth and shove the pill back as I can in their mouth and clamp their mouth shut and rub their throat, they say this helps them swallow. I do it as quickly as possible because I know they hate it and I hate upsetting them

Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,264 times
Use the tablet form not the capsule. They are bright pink tablets and come 25mg so you should be able to give 1/2 to start although I read you can give up to mg per lb so you may be able to give a whole one but kitty will be asleep for a while with a whole one

Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,264 times
My cat is allergic to fleas and I used eatable diatemateous earth and put a little on her. She was almost bald from scratching all over and now has a beautiful coat - i rarely need to use it anymore. She is a healthy happy cat with a beautiful coat

Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM

13,630 posts, read 7,100,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Hi everyone. Benadryl is kinda versatile, it can make you sleepy and help with allergies but some people get antsy when they take it. My vet has had me give it to both the dogs and the cats for allergic reactions. I much prefer giving it to the dogs though, LOL

When I have to give Orion meds I use syringes, without a needle of course, and squirt the liquid into his mouth. I've found that's the best way with him, he's a sweetie but is almost impossible to get any kind of med into and squirting liquid works best with him.
Yes. It's good for precise measuring and they cannot spit it out. No choice but to swallow.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:54 PM

13,630 posts, read 7,100,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When I was moving I had the bright idea to give Liquid Benadryl to the cats to calm them...I thought it would be easier then shoving a pill down their throats. I had a syringe with no needle on it that they use for children to take liquid meds more easily, the minute the liquid hit his tongue, he started salivating like he was rabid. I later found out that cats and dogs do this in response to a horrible taste.
I gave up and listened to them cry.
When I pill a cat, I force open their mouth and shove the pill back as I can in their mouth and clamp their mouth shut and rub their throat, they say this helps them swallow. I do it as quickly as possible because I know they hate it and I hate upsetting them
If the cat (whatever cat) is easier to syringe than pill I just let them hypersalivate and then give yummy yums to get the rest of the taste out of their mouth.

I'm blessed now with a cat who will take anything. Pill or liquid it's amazing. So for him pills are better. But the one who'd cheek them and then deposit behind the toilet .... she had to live with the taste of liquid.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:37 PM

11,102 posts, read 15,599,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan bennett View Post
My cat is allergic to fleas and I used eatable diatemateous earth and put a little on her. She was almost bald from scratching all over and now has a beautiful coat - i rarely need to use it anymore. She is a healthy happy cat with a beautiful coat

The true name of it is: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth ... make SURE it is Food Grade, please.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
When my Vet instructed me to give Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) to my cat who developed new onset of scratching to his neck, she warned me to make sure to look at all the ingredients on the medication packaging and only give the medication with the drug listed. Do not give products that contain PSEUDO-EPHEDRINE in it (which can be found in some non-drowsy formulas). For a 5 lb cat, give 2 ml of liquid. For a 10 lb cat, give 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet. For a 25 lb cat, give 1 (25 mg tablet). She said it was also recommended to give the dose once every 12 hours for 2 weeks to determine the effectiveness of the medication.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:46 PM

12,281 posts, read 17,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We resort to compounding of medication. Less dangerous to humans:>)
I've had to resort to doing this for Puck's antihistimines. He won't touch Greenie's at all anymore (used to use them as a treat to get him comfy eating it when I had to give him pills, but the second I put meds in he was done!) and he would rather starve than eat food with medication hidden in it.

I was crushing up the antihistimines and mixing it with water for the syringe, but it tastes really bitter and the whole thing stressed him out. Now the meds are compounded with some really strong tasting chicken flavor and he's not so anxious about taking it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats