U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,899,224 times
Default Help me get Benadryl into the cat!

Hello all,

So my Former Stray Boots who now Lives In the Bedroom until I come up with the nerve to introduce him to my resident 7-year-old housecats who are Not Happy at the scents and meows coming from the bedroom and/or bathroom has been here 2 months. (He was neutered 2 months ago so I wanted all those hormonal changes to take effect, and he is FIV+, which is why I'm taking my time.)

Anyway... I had to take him to vet 2 weeks ago because he suddenly was scratching himself like a piston and made bald spots on his ears and back and a teeny bit of blood on his neck. Vet gave him cortisone shot, another long-acting Convenia antibiotic shot (which I think "expires" around today), Revolution on his back, and FortiFlora in his food (to help with smelly poop.)

Vet thinks the scratching is seasonal allergy related; he said if he really kept digging himself then possibly food allergy would have to be considered. (As my neighbor has pointed out, "he was a hobo cat who ate tuna in oil, cheapie 9 Lives dry food and drank milk as a treat from time to time. Did he have allergies outside???") I dunno...

The first night after the vet Boots did improve but then did start scratching again. Not as hard or as often but he still does. It appears that his fur is coming back a little, but his coat is not his best feature because of the FIV issue. I called the vet a few days after the visit and asked if I could put something on his coat or in his food to stop the scratching and he suggested Benadryl. (Getting to the point here!)

So...I spent 10 minutes reading packages in Walgreens trying to find a tablet to crush and hide in his food, which I was certain I could do. (I have NEVER been able to pill a cat; I think I had a "pill gun" one time but no more.) The only thing I could find was Walgreens version of Benadryl, with a "coated" tablet that is hot pink. Doc suggested 1/2 the dosage so I cut it in half.

Boots is a savvy boy and he looked at his dish like "what are you trying to pull here??" Would not eat the food. Then I crushed it, got the hot pink covering off it and tried again. Same result.

I'm wondering if liquid "gel" capsules might work better? Or if it comes in a straight liquid, I don't recall seeing one. I really would like to see him stop scratching, period, because once the antibiotic shot wears off he can get himself a skin infection easily -- whatever is "simple" for a healthy cat gets worse quicker with a immuno-compromised one....and I don't want to have to drag him to the vet again if I can help it.

All help appreciated!! I do love him at this point so I don't want to give up on him but he has cost me a lot of $$ to date!

(I THINK he's grateful; once he finally decided to come out from under the bed he also decided that he likes to sleep with me on MY pillow. And ON it, with his head next to mine! If I move to another pillow he moves over and plops next to me again! This is sort of sweet but I don't care for the fur debris on the pillow next to my face, nor the fact that as soon as he uses the litter (and boy is he MESSY) he jumps right up on the bed and comes to tell me about it...dragging bits of wet litter in his long-haired paws and on that long-haired butt..... Deep sigh. )

I also went out and bought a more powerful vacuum....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

3,056 posts, read 1,381,672 times
Children's Benadryl is liquid. Get it.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,201,673 times
Why don't you go to Petsmart and buy a package of Greenie's Pill Pockets (Feline) and put the pill in it. They come in Chicken and Salmon. You put the pill in, mash it closed and offer it to kitty. He thinks he's just getting a yummy treat but he's also getting his pills. I use them all the time on our kids and they love them.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Definitely pick up liquid Children's Benadryl, or the store brand version (the ingredient is diphenhydramine). It comes cherry flavored, which is great for people but your cat will probably hate it. No matter, it's a simple thing really. You want to start out with just a few drops. Not a half dose, just a few drops.

Dab your fingertip, and playfully, gently, give your kitty a little teasing touch above his mouth and below his nose. He'll lick it off and protest.

Do it again.

And again.

Then back off and reward him with playtime. Within a few minutes he might get drowsy - if he does, let him sleep.

Also, his scratching -might- be stress related and not allergy related at all. Cats are not meant to be cooped up in little bedrooms for months on end. He needs to get out into the rest of the house and exercise.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,099,575 times
Benadryl is a sleep aid why on earth would the doctor recommend that for a cat with or without allergies?

I'm thinking maybe he is allergic to something in the bedroom. Is it or will it ever be safe for this little guy to be with the other cat having FIV? Also I would get a gate if Boots isn't contageous. But be sure of that first. A gate or screen they can't jump over will allow them to slowly get used to each others scents. It's a safe way to introduce if Boots isn't as I said contageous. Also you could try and get Boots scent on any blankets or better yet a towel the others have so they can slowly get used to Boots scent and if Boots can handle give him a blanket or a Towel to sleep on that has their scent on it.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Benadryl is a sleep aid why on earth would the doctor recommend that for a cat with or without allergies?
LOL Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine, with a side effect of making most people pretty drowsy. Yes, they do use this in products like Tylenol PM with no other sleep aid, and you can't get a cheaper sleep aid than a large bottle of generic diphenhydramine for 5 bucks at Costco so many people do buy it for that, but certainly sleep aid was not the main intent that I know of. Benadryl itself is sold as an antihistamine, in other words an allergy medicine that's supposed to help with symptoms of sneezing, itching, runny nose, etc.

I'd be very careful with cat dose, as a cat is much smaller than a person. But I've heard of it being used in cats before. The liquid might be a good idea. If using pills, I would try the Greenies pill pockets. I have to give my cat a literally quite bitter pill twice a day (methimazole), and for 2 years the pill pockets have continued to work. They don't work for everyone, some cats are extremely adept at noticing and eating around the pill, but many just effectively swallow the treat whole. Chicken flavor has been good for us, although they do have salmon and even duck as a low-allergen variety. (Most with food allergies apparently don't have a problem with duck.)

Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM

924 posts, read 744,247 times
Greenies pill pockets for cats. Kitties love them. You can give them any kind of pill in one of those.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
LOL Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine, with a side effect of making most people pretty drowsy. Yes, they do use this in products like Tylenol PM with no other sleep aid, and you can't get a cheaper sleep aid than a large bottle of generic diphenhydramine for 5 bucks at Costco so many people do buy it for that, but certainly sleep aid was not the main intent that I know of. Benadryl itself is sold as an antihistamine, in other words an allergy medicine that's supposed to help with symptoms of sneezing, itching, runny nose, etc.

I'd be very careful with cat dose, as a cat is much smaller than a person. But I've heard of it being used in cats before. The liquid might be a good idea. If using pills, I would try the Greenies pill pockets. I have to give my cat a literally quite bitter pill twice a day (methimazole), and for 2 years the pill pockets have continued to work. They don't work for everyone, some cats are extremely adept at noticing and eating around the pill, but many just effectively swallow the treat whole. Chicken flavor has been good for us, although they do have salmon and even duck as a low-allergen variety. (Most with food allergies apparently don't have a problem with duck.)
Wow I thought it was mainly a sleep aid. I thought that because a pharmacist told me that all it really is is a sleep aid and, well, *cough* I sort of take a half one when I can't sleep. LOL It's funny how I took the pharmacist so literally.

I would be afraid of giving him too much though. Cats can't have that much being so little. I would have asked the Dr. vet for a syringe to measure how much of the liquid benadryl is acceptable to give him according to his weight but that's me.

AnonChick, That is a good though I had not considered being cooped up all day would be enough to stress him out and cause excessive scratching/rash. It could also be knowing he's trapped and there are other cats outside that door and he has no way of getting away from what he perceives as a threat.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,899,224 times
Thanks everyone! I will try the pill pockets and/or the liquid Benadryl... went to Walgreens last night and none was there!

And I do plan to let him out in the rest of the place eventually -- I know he's been in a small space. (The first 2 weeks he didn't want to budge from the linen closet in my bathroom, so that was HIS choice!)
I have just a 1BR- apartment and there is not a lot of room, period, for three cats to share and I am hoping when they do meet there won't be bad fights. To the poster who asked, I have been told by the vet (and my research) that the FIV is mainly transmitted by "a deep bite" which is how Boots got it, I'm sure, from his days as an intact male fighting other intact male strays on the property for food or the ladies.... So if he doesn't BITE my girls it should be okay... but I do know I'm taking a risk, yes. FIV cats should be the only ones in the house or with other FIV+ cats, ideally.

My first loyalty is to my 2 girls...but I'm hoping this can all work out.

For what it's worth, the feral cat trapping person who helped me get Boots (he was friendly but never wanted to be picked up) said if he was really unhappy he would have tried to escape already. And other than his curiosity about what's on the other side of the door, he is not frantic in any way about being in the bedroom. So I like to think he's happier being
warm and comfy, fed and loved than his previous life. I hope so, anyway.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,253 times
Greenies pill pockets sound great for administering Benadryl, but Children's only comes in liquid, and the capsule has too high a dosage. Ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats