Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I actually don't agree to disagree. Armchair quarterbacks who are overconfident in their theoretical abilities compared to someone's ACTUAL real-life reactions tick me off. Pretending you know for certain you would have acted without being struck by the same kind of shock is lame.

Here's a blog post (a blog where people really care about animals) from back then where many people responded, not one of them blaming the person who picked up the cat after it was hit by a car: VA Police Officer Beats Injured Cat to Death « YesBiscuit!
The above was a not about the cat.

Here's a news story from the time:
Police Kill Dying Cat, Resident Upset

This was horrible, even to read. Did YOU actually read it yourself? It doesn't take 20 whacks with a baton to kill livestock at the slaughterhouse.

Quote:
The poor man was in utter shock and disbelief. If you don't think that paralyzes people, I don't know what crazy made up world you're living in. The man made one mistake, one he likely won't make again: he called the authorities after picking up an injured animal. You know and I know that if you want such a thing handled properly you need to handle it yourself. Unfortunately, the general public doesn't necessarily know this. And this sort of incident is the sad result.
I'm sure he wont since I doubt there is another cop in his area who who be so cruel.

Quote:
What if the cop were beating a woman or child? You put it there but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the case at hand. The situation that leads up to a cop potentially doing such a thing is COMPLETELY different. To compare the two and how one would react is utterly ridiculous.
That's your opinion. I have mine. How many normal men would have beat that cat to death? Cops know where every animal shelter and veterinarian is located in their areas.

Quote:
This is a sad, scary situation and the cop got off with less than a slap on the wrist, it appears. The man who first picked up the cat, he has to live with what happened, internally second-guessing all the stuff you're rattling off here. It is frustrating and disheartening to see people piling on the person whose initial instinct was to HELP the cat.
The man should sue for emotional distress and whatever else he can claim. He's not going to forget something so horrible anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My first reaction was that had I been in that situation I would have grabbed the officer's gun and shot HIM.
I don't think most people would have gone THAT far.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yes Greg, yuo recalled correctly. The owner was not present while this happened and it was reported to them 3rd hand. .
It was hardly 3rd hand:

Wayne (who picked up the cat and called police) says he was so shocked to act at the time, but hopes this never happens again.
"The only thing I wished I had done differently is as soon as I saw that nightstick I would've ran out and stopped him. That's what I wished I would have done," Wayne says.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The above was a not about the cat.

Here's a news story from the time:

This was horrible, even to read. Did YOU actually read it yourself? It doesn't take 20 whacks with a baton to kill livestock at the slaughterhouse.
What do you mean did I read it? I read it back then, I read it again when I posted that very link in my own post yesterday. I read it again now just to be sure. It is, as you say, horrible. The blog post I linked was indeed about the same story. Nobody in the comments of that post, all animal lovers to the extreme, blamed the person who called the police. That is what I was objecting to happening here. He wishes he could go back and change his reaction. His actual reaction is what the shock of the situation does to people. His current reaction is very normal. So is yours, for that matter, as in "I would have done better". Lots of people say that, having never been put into that situation. I am sorry that I can't leave unchallenged the baseless claims that he really could have done better and that you definitely would have not succumbed to the shock.

Quote:
I'm sure he wont since I doubt there is another cop in his area who who be so cruel.

That's your opinion. I have mine. How many normal men would have beat that cat to death? Cops know where every animal shelter and veterinarian is located in their areas.
Well at least we're back to blaming the COP and not the person who tried to help the cat. That is what I was getting at all along.

Quote:
The man should sue for emotional distress and whatever else he can claim. He's not going to forget something so horrible anytime soon.
Suing the police department and the officer may have more effect than a misdemeanor conviction and $50 fine, that's for sure.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Can you believe this policeman who beat to death an already injured and suffering cat gets only a $50 fine? How can that be in a civilized country like this... wait, are we really civilized to do virtually nothing to this mentally ill sadistic cop?

Harrisonburg Officer Convicted of Animal Cruelty - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Harrisonburg Officer Convicted of Animal Cruelty - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather - [domain blocked due to spam]
Yeh I can believe it...they also beat and taser humans to death.... and get away with it.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yeh I can believe it...they also beat and taser humans to death.... and get away with it.

There you go! You hit the nail right on the head with this.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
There you go! You hit the nail right on the head with this.
Wouldn't ya know... I was just reading about the Kelly Thomas death beating in Fullerton CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats