U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,188,942 times
Default Letting cat dye naturally or put it down?

My cat is old and is defiantly at her last days. She's stop eating, lost a lot of weight abruptly, no longer uses her little box, and I don't like seeing her this way. When I look at her, I know she doesn't want to dye but at the same time I don't want her to suffer and she looks at me hopelessly because she doesn't understand what is happening to her.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong decision persay, I just want to get some opinions on whether you would let your cat dye naturally or would you put it down?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,585,337 times
Here's what has happened for me. My husband said he would never put an animal down. But when it came time, he had no doubts that it was the right thing to do. I saw one of my former pets suffer to the last moment and it wasn't pretty. My parents wanted the animal to die naturally. It did....but it suffered for it. I was always worried about knowing when the right time was....and trust me - you know. And once you go through the process....you'll realize you did the right thing.

I never try to tell anyone what to do when it comes to their animals. But, I am all for animals not suffering and spending their last days in complete pain and misery. But they can't tell us how much pain they are in, etc. Humans get to have all kinds of medications, etc for our last moments if we are dying....animals get nothing....they go through the pain and everything on their own.

Just think about it. You'll figure it out. You can even get all the way to the vet and change your mind or even discuss with them about it. If they are a good vet, they'll let you know the process, give the animal a relaxant and let you spend those last minutes with him or her. And if for some reason you have that last moment of doubt....you don't need to do it.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 1,289,494 times
Absolutely have a vet help you w/ her. It is only right to ease her pain/burden into the next world as she gave her love to you all this time. Please take the time & effort to show her love when she most needs it in her final days. I pray God gives you peace & strength & May He Bless you & your kitty in this time of need.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 AM

6,113 posts, read 5,080,570 times
It's a very hard thing to do, but it's the final thing we can do for them.
I'm so sorry you and she are going through this.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM

25,303 posts, read 16,473,212 times
does she go to the vet regularly? Have you even taken her to the vet for this situation. There might be help for her. But if there isn't please let her suffering end. I stayed with my beloved 16 year old Paul and held him in my arms as he was going. I was crying and so upset but he managed enough strength to lift his head and lick my tears away. I think he was telling me thank you. I'm so glad I was brave enough to help him with this last little bit of his beautiful life.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,533,017 times
Sorry to hear you are at this stage.

Less pain and suffering is superior to "naturally" in my opinion.

Although, I would ask, how old is "old" and has she been to the vet for regular care? The condition you describe could be symptoms of things that are treatable. Perhaps you have exhausted those options already, but you haven't given enough detail to make that clear.

If it is her time to go, though, you do have the ability to ease her suffering. That is what I would suggest.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,387,090 times
If she hasn't had vet care, then get her some pronto. I had a 1.5 year old cat totally collapse on Tuesday, Turns out he had almost NO red blood cells! Why? Probably feline infectious anemia contracted from something while he lived outdoors as a stray. He had to have a blood transfusion. But he sprang right back and is doing well, so far. His liver and all were out of whack, too. But his biggest immediate prob was oxygen deprivation due to almost no RBCs to carry oxygen to cells.

If the vet thinks she won't make it, or you can't afford expensive vet testing and treatments, then opt for the euthanasia. Sometimes we people hang on too long, out of good intentions.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM

973 posts, read 637,828 times
The less the cat has to suffer is natural to me.

It is a terrible thing and I am sorry for you but you dont want your friend to suffer

Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,427,267 times
Don't make her suffer any longer. Take her to to the vet and hold her and comfort her while she goes to sleep.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM

13,452 posts, read 10,092,576 times
I believe cats should be able to die without undue pain and suffering. It seems thought that I am hearing more and more stories of vets suggesting to vulernable cat owners to try all sorts of heroic measures to keep the cat alive even if there is little hope they will work.

The pet's person has to decide when it's time for the kitty to go. No one else knows their pet better than them. If you feel the time is right, by all means have it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats