Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

144 posts, read 294,974 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions on keeping my Jack Russell out of the kitty litter box. I just got this adorable cat and I've never had a cat before. Frankie (dog) and Dizzy (cat) get along great but Frankie wants to eat Dizzy's food and poop. I put the food up off the ground but I don't know where to put the litter box. I thought about getting a gate that only the cat could get through to use the bathroom but the cat is just as big as the dog so Frankie would be able to get through as easy as Dizzy. Please help me figure something out because when I got home from work today, Frankie's stomach seemed a little upset and I think it's because of the litter box.

Thank You ahead of time for any suggestions you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,813,917 times
Clumping cat litter can cause bowel impactions if ingested (cat or dog). I don't have any really good suggestions other than separate the dog from the cat and litterbox when you're not home to supervise.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
same answer I gave when you posted same question in dog forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM

414 posts, read 1,088,489 times
Most fully-covered cat boxes will come with a flap door, which may deter the dog. A self-cleaning litter box would put an instant stop to the problem. Something like CatGenie or Litter Robot that won't break quickly. Another option would be putting the litter box in a closed room with a cat-sized door. A cat can fit through a space much smaller than a Jack Russell can--essentially any space as wide as its whiskers. If you can teach Dizzy to go through a small door to relieve his or herself and eat, you shouldn't have any problem with the dog anymore.

If those things aren't practical, you can get an invisible fence-type setup for the dog, but use it indoors. Equip Frankie with the invisible fence collar, and set up the sensors in the cat's "private area" so the dog won't go in there anymore.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM

169 posts, read 826,511 times
If you can put your litter box in a closet or something, take the door off the hinges and put a baby gate up. The cat is more likely to figure out hey, I have to jump over this or squeeze under this to use my bathroom. The dog might just think wtf and give up, lol. It's worth a try

Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,088,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrchick View Post
If you can put your litter box in a closet or something, take the door off the hinges and put a baby gate up. The cat is more likely to figure out hey, I have to jump over this or squeeze under this to use my bathroom. The dog might just think wtf and give up, lol. It's worth a try
Great idea! I didn't even think about that one. My parents do that, and even though their dog jumps higher fences in agility, she doesn't even consider the fact that she could jump over the baby gate to get to the cat food/litter box.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,241,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecda View Post
Great idea! I didn't even think about that one. My parents do that, and even though their dog jumps higher fences in agility, she doesn't even consider the fact that she could jump over the baby gate to get to the cat food/litter box.
Or you could use a short wall if you want the cat to be able to land on top and continue over.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:24 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
The real problem you have is the JRT. I had an old baby gate, and cut the wire for a cat size hole. The dog, a large Bassett could only put his snout in. I am thinking maybe you could get a sturdy plastic utility table at Costco, and put it in the corner, and the cat jump up on the table where you put his cat box, wedged in the corner. One with a lid. We put a cat box on the table for one of my patients, as he could not bend over to clean his cat box on the floor. He put the food on the table too.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
I could swear I posted in this thread...multiple times. What the heck?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 PM

144 posts, read 294,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I could swear I posted in this thread...multiple times. What the heck?
I thought you did too. Maybe that was the one I posted in the Dog forum. I wanted to post it in both the dog and cat forums because dog people may have different suggestions than cat people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats