U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times

Advertisements

Toby Fund Of Wolf Creek Oregon, Inc. talks about the suffering of a cat injured while wandering around on it's own.

The kitten we found severely injured and in agony dragging itself across the hot roadway will never be forgotten. Unfortunately she could not be saved so our vet euthanized her. She was no more than 5 to 6 weeks old. Why must cat owners insist that cats need to be outdoors when such tragedies happen all the time?

There was a woman on Craigslist recently looking for a free "baby kitten" to keep outside in the yard for her young children to play with. Kittens are not *toys*. She claims she "doesn't do litterpans." What chance would that "baby kitten" have with three small children and all the predators and cars and..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
That Kitten was likely abondoned by it mother or stryed or mother died. It happens all the time in nature.Its happens all the time to humans in this world. Its reality of the nature of survival itself.If that cat grewup then you woud watch it seem to torture its prey killing it slowly also.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:14 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,544,110 times
Who in their right mind would give or sell a kitten to someone who wants to leave it outside because she "doesn't do" litterboxes? I'd like to think no one would, but I know better.
Texdav, I don't allow my cats outside both for their own safety and that of the wildlife. I know what you mean, but they don't know what they're doing is cruel. We humans should know better. It's sad that some don't.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,059,372 times
I don't comprehend, in the slightest way, why people let their cats go out and roam.
My neighbor had the most beautiful cat, that spent the two years I was in the neighborhood go out and roam in the woods. We had Rindge fisher cats, bears, stupid kids with shotguns.... crazy drivers, ATV's. This was out in the middle of nowhere. Last time I talked to the owner, he was posting signs on telephone poles about his lost cat. I think it has been a couple of weeks... so that doesn't look good.
My dog would NEVER go outside and not be on a leash for any reason, and would close to me.
Personally (JMHO), people who let their cats out to roam are entirely negligent, and should be held liable for potentially subjecting their animal to a dangerous situation.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 626,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There was a woman on Craigslist recently looking for a free "baby kitten" to keep outside in the yard for her young children to play with. Kittens are not *toys*. She claims she "doesn't do litterpans." What chance would that "baby kitten" have with three small children and all the predators and cars and..........

Oh my word..she actually put that in her post? That she doesn't do litter pans? Good grief..Craziness. It doesn't sound like she was wanting a new member of the family. What is she hoping, when the children get tired of the cat, that it will just roam off somewhere else and someone else will take it in? We have a neighbor that lets her cat roam/live outside as well. I just don't get it.

When we adopted ours from the shelter years ago, that was one of the questions they asked. Where was the cat going to live/stay? I was like inside of course. They told us that people come in there and plan on leaving the cat outside but if they do, they don't let them adopt. (guess people could tell them one thing and do something else) We were actually there when someone wanted a cat and their answer was outside..they told her no, she couldn't adopt from there. Our cat doesn't go outside unless, she is in her carrier or in her stroller. (yes, we have a stroller for her - often see pictures of dogs in them but she loves it - it is totally inclosed).

Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,765,259 times
i USED to be 100% anti letting cats outside...
untill we ended up with a cat who could NOT no matter what be happy indoors.
i ound him as a tiny kitten, raised him by bottle, neutered at 5 1/2 months, he was heavily socilized and we did everything "right" multiple litterboxes around the house that were scooped religiously multiple times a day, he had his own private spaces, toys we played with him ect...but as he matured he became MEAN. the vet coudl find nothing wrong wiht him physically, he would be sweet and want a fus one second then be literally LATCHED teeth and claws to your arm the next, he didnt want to interact with people, woudlnt play. started peeing everywhere (particularly in closets) and woudl sit by the door whenever we let the dogs out literally yowling like a female in heat
it was getting to the point where if things didnt change he would have to go and noone as going to adopt this "special" cat. we tried comfort zone, we tried rescue remidy and eventually the vet said "mood stabalizers" we did that for 3 days and he was a mean ZOMBIE...he could barely move but if you got close neough he was meaner than before the pills.
one day when letting the dogs out he slipped out...he rolled around in the grass, didnt go very far, climbed a few trees, chased the dogs about the yard, refused to come in. we all freeked out...this cat is obviously unbalanced and now hes outside, he hadnt been outside since he was about 3 1/2-4weeks old short of 1 trip to the vet for his neuter.
well he came back that night and was a different cat, for the first time since he hit about 8 months he sat on the couch on someones lap PURRING...wed never heard this cat purr...
he started going out in the morning and comming home for meals and then at bedtime...and everything about him changed, the yowling stopped, he started comming to us for attention and enjoying being petted and combed, he actually started playing with toys and us, the litterbox issues stopped completly, no more accidents, the random acts of agressivness gone...

then i got tempi...she didnt have the agression issues that puss puss had, but this kitten woudl sit by the door and cry, for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS...after 3 weeks i finally let her out and she became the best mouser ever...
now i live on 4 1/2 acres and away form the road so my 2 cats can be relitivly safe outside, the neighbors aparently lvoe my girls (both are serious rodent control) my neighbor mentioned that hes always had mice issues in the winter but hasnt had a single mouse this year...(i however am frequently finding mouse remains on my doorstep)

pusspuss (the mean kitty) is still in CT hes my parents cat...and hes now a happy healthy well rounded cat...whereas before he was clearly a VERY unhappy cat.
those 2 kitties changed my mind about striclty indoor cats...i just think SOME cats are not and never can be truly happy indoors...

now would i say its a good idea to get a kitten to leave in the back yard for when the grandkids come over like a trike or a sandbox, oh heavens no...
do i think having an "outside" house cat in the city (or when you live neer very busy roads) is a good idea...absolutly NOT
and do i think allowing your cats to wander around with no care is a good idea...no...
i talk to my neighbors frequently to make sure the cats arnt a bother to them, i call my cats in every night (and they come in during the day whenever they want), my cats are kept collard, belled, tagged chipped utd on shots ect...
I do what i can to keep them as safe as possible without wrapping them in bubblewrap...
I dont like them otuside, i worry...alot...but i do know that these particular cats are miserable as inside only cats...plus they do an exclent job of keeping the local rodent population down. (and thanks to an incident with a large chicken they both seem to be rather afraid of birds of all kinds lol)

BUT, i also think that id rather have a cat HAPPY as an indoor outdoor cat, than one drugged up on tranqs because its unhappy indoors...but at least its safe...

i dunno, i guess im just a "1 size doesnt nessicarily fit all" kinda person now
and cats are still NOT truly domesticated...

Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

6,122 posts, read 5,147,846 times
My cats love going outside at will (we have a kitty door). They race around, roll in the grass and dirt, climb trees, catch vermin (like moles, shrews, etc.) in our vegetable gardens, or just sleep under a tree. When they're hungry, or are tired of being outside, they come in. All of them were farm cats (born in a barn), so they are used to it and would be very unhappy if they could not go outside. When the kitty door was closed due to some work we were doing on the window (DH built the kitty door in the laundry room window), they would sit by the back door and wail to go out. They aren't roamers - they always stay within the boundaries of our property.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,134,200 times
I agree with the above posters(2). Each cat is going to be different - some will adapt to being imprisoned in a house - but cats generally need varied stimuli, fresh air, and room to run and climb. An inside environment - no matter how well prepared - can never duplicate the outside. Cats should not have to suffer because our habitat has become unsafe for them.

My cat knows not to go in the street - the neighbors have no problem with her being in their yard - and the combines lots are big enough that she can't feel confined - I truly think she has no curiosity about what is across the road - since she has so much to explore right in her home area. Coyotes roam the neighborhood - but they are only active at night - and if our cat is not in by a few minutes after dark - I hunt her down and bring her in - mostly she is ready to eat some tuna once it gets dark - and isn't a problem.

Someone getting a cat for the first time should really have a good knowledge of their cats potential reaction to confinement - if their personality allows for staying inside - fine. I would never advocate sentencing a cat to a lifetime of misery - just because our environment is not safe.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Toby Fund Of Wolf Creek Oregon, Inc. talks about the suffering of a cat injured while wandering around on it's own.

The kitten we found severely injured and in agony dragging itself across the hot roadway will never be forgotten. Unfortunately she could not be saved so our vet euthanized her. She was no more than 5 to 6 weeks old. Why must cat owners insist that cats need to be outdoors when such tragedies happen all the time?

My oldest cat was raised that way. She was weaned at four weeks and my landlords had three kids under five. They had lots of cousins in that age group where she was born and she was already afraid of children.

The kids chased her under a chair, she scrached them, and they said bad kitty...

Then they got into a fight, went to their respective parents and dumped her in the garage where I rescued her.

She still is skiddish and doesn't like strangers, but after much time and dogs and other cats she'd improved. I was stunned to find out she was only a month old when the woman finally asked if anyone knew about the kitten two weeks later.

At least she was their last cat. They switched to killing parakeets after that.

Now, having gotten outside a few times, she seems to want out. She returns with ticks so she's going visiting but I feel bad because she wants out so bad. But this isn't friendly terratory for roAming cats. My sil has has one dissapear, one dog and cat die, and one shot and still can't deny them their 'freedom'.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,307,901 times
I'd never let my cats outside, but there's a really sweet stray female calico who decided to take up residence in my yard this winter, and she's still here...she barely ever leaves my yard, she keeps me company while I garden, and she doesn't poop in or mess with any of my plants. (I've been trying to find her a good home for awhile now, but no luck so far...) I always get nervous when strays come around because I can't help but get attached to them, and when they disappear (and they always do) it's heartbreaking. But this calico girl doesn't want to roam...she's a lounger, and she likes the canned food I give her enough to stick around, I guess ! So I think it does depend on the cat, but I'd still encourage people to do their best to make the indoor world as interesting, fun, and stimulating as possible so they'll WANT to be inside and safely away from the dangers of our modern world. My 2 have no desire to go outside at all, and I'm thankful for that...I like knowing where all my 4-legged babies are at ALL times .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or