Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM

306 posts, read 605,475 times

Advertisements

I have a cat that has had numerous UTI's now, and quit simply I think this cat has developed a "phobia" for litterboxes and urination...he will use to it poop, but he RUNS out of there like a bat out of H&&& when he's done. He is now back to peeing on my floors.

I'm at my wits end. I just got home from work and he has now pee'd all over my husbands shoes/sneakers. I have literally dumped Nature's Miracle all over them and have them outside in the sun to dry.

Any suggestions????? I do NOT have a place to confine him, I only have 1 bathroom, which already has a litter box in it for my other cats, so putting him in there is not an option.

He has been to vet numerous times for UTI's, been treated numerous times, had urine cultured, etc....no crystals were ever found, just plain old UTI's. I simply think he's getting these UTI's because he is "holding" his urine because he won't pee in the boxes, so he then goes to the floor because his bladder is gonna bust!! He is also on urinary tract formula food, which all of my cats are now eating because of his issues.

If I had a garage I would put him in there, but I don't have one...PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Has he been neutered?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Has he been neutered?
Yes, he has, when he was a kitten. He has been fine for 3 1/2 years and suddenly developed the UTI's starting in Sept/Oct. He is now getting one about every month/month and a half on average. I also have purchased some Feliway diffusers, these aren't working either.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,290 times
Well I think the obvious problem is to figure out why all the UTI's. In time the cat will resolve his affliction to the litter box.

I would thing that any calming agent or psychological trick you can play to try to help your cat isn't going to why there is still an underlying medical issue.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,227 times
I have a cat that had urinary problems, the vet said we needed to buy him this expensive food from them but I found out if I consitently used Purina One for cat urinary tract we did not have this problem anymore.. also could there be something that is making the cat upset such as anything new in his life such as new baby, new house, new pet etc.. sometime cats will start peeing on items such as shoes when they are emotionally disturbed about sometime they don't like, even I knew of one that just didn't like a member of a family and was acting out this kind of behavior.. they are sensitive creatures. some cats want a very clean litter box or maybe don't like the kind of litter you're using.. anyway good luck hope some of this helps

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRasin View Post
I have a cat that had urinary problems, the vet said we needed to buy him this expensive food from them but I found out if I consitently used Purina One for cat urinary tract we did not have this problem anymore.. also could there be something that is making the cat upset such as anything new in his life such as new baby, new house, new pet etc.. sometime cats will start peeing on items such as shoes when they are emotionally disturbed about sometime they don't like, even I knew of one that just didn't like a member of a family and was acting out this kind of behavior.. they are sensitive creatures. some cats want a very clean litter box or maybe don't like the kind of litter you're using.. anyway good luck hope some of this helps
That is the food I use. He's been on it for months. I do have ONE cat that doesn't like him, and I think this is the root cause of the problem, but he was fine up until the fall. He has been around this other cat sinc he was a kitten, she never liked him, doesn't fight with him, will just "occassionally" hiss at him when he walks by her or when she walks by him. 99% of the time she completely ignores him, but I think it has really affected him. He is a very timid cat, and will NOT stand his ground for anything!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
That is the food I use. He's been on it for months. I do have ONE cat that doesn't like him, and I think this is the root cause of the problem, but he was fine up until the fall. He has been around this other cat sinc he was a kitten, she never liked him, doesn't fight with him, will just "occassionally" hiss at him when he walks by her or when she walks by him. 99% of the time she completely ignores him, but I think it has really affected him. He is a very timid cat, and will NOT stand his ground for anything!

Kibble? Get him off the corn laden junk and put him on an all canned (preferably grain free) diet.

Cats need high moisture in their food, especially cats with urinary tract problems.

Put him on a canned diet (no fish)

Add cosequin for cats to his daily diet to help with inflammation. Inflammation hurts as much as infection, and does not show up in a culture. One capsule a day sprinkled into his food.

Give him a brand new litter box with Cat Attract litter in it, and put it in a brand new place.

Keep the feliway going

Get him off the kibble get him off the kibble get him off the kibble

Can't say it enough. Get him off the kibble.

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-24-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Poor kitty, and poor you!
I know what it's like to have a cat who pees inappropriately, and it's extremely frustrating. In my cat's case, he was fine medically, never had a UTI or any other issue, he was upset by my other cats and was acting out because he didn't want to live with them/share boxes with them.

In your case, you have 2 separate issues contributing to this behavior, one medical and the other (at least it sounds to me) behavioral/emotional.

Ideally, a cat with UTI issues should be on a low ash/low ph moist food diet with little to no grain. Moisture is very important! I would also think it a good idea to supplement with cranberry...if you have a juicer, juicing them fresh (then diluting with some fresh water) will be the most effective, but there are cranberry supplements on the market if that doesn't work for you. If you decide to change his diet, doing it slowly over a period of a couple of weeks is best because it tends to cause less stomach upset. Chamomile will help with the transition as well, just brew it as you would making a cup of tea, (let it sit for longer, though...I let mine steep for about an hour), and either add it to his water or mix some in with his food. If he won't take it that way, get a syringe and give it orally...same goes for the cranberry juice if you decide to try it, he might lap it up happily or he might turn his nose up at it. My cats are weird in what they like...my female likes ACV in her wet food, and my male will lap up a spoonful of olive oil in a heartbeat, LOL! The chamomile will also help ease anxiety, which brings me to your cat's second issue...

If he's running out of the box like he's alarmed, it's either pain or he's being stalked or otherwise intimidated while using the box. If there's no way to give him his own box, is there any way you could separate the other cats for awhile after feedings to give him the chance to use it without them being around? It might not make a difference right away, but after a few days if he regularly sees he has free, solitary access to it at certain times, maybe he'll stop feeling anxious about it and start using it appropriately. There are also calming aids like rescue remedy, which might help...there's a glycerin-based version made specifically for pets that can be put into their food/water, but I use the "human" version and just rub a little on their ears, it seems to be more effective done that way...(and then there's the added bonus of putting some in your own water, which I certainly appreciated while I was dealing with pee on a daily basis, LOL!)

The Honest Kitchen makes supplements for urinary tract health and calming...the urinary formula is called "Easy Peesy" (), here's a link...
Easy Peesy Tea | The Honest Kitchen
and the calming formula is called "Quiet Tea"
Quiet Tea | The Honest Kitchen
I'm ordering the "Quiet Tea" for one of my little dogs, a rescue who has high anxiety and marking issues due to abuse and neglect in her previous home . Luckily, dog pee doesn't reek nearly as much as cat pee .

I hope this helps, and I really do know what you're going through...hang in there!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Kibble? Get him off the corn laden junk and put him on an all canned (preferably grain free) diet.

Cats need high moisture in their food, especially cats with urinary tract problems.

Get him off the kibble get him off the kibble get him off the kibble

Can't say it enough. Get him off the kibble.

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health
Catsmom21, I wanted to give you reputation for this but it won't let me since I've already done so recently but YES. I hope you realize as soon as I read "Purina One urinary formula" I immediately thought of you and knew you'd have something to say... sorry, that's kind of a backhanded compliment

Anyway, to OP, did the vet suggest that food or did you take it upon yourself to provide it? Either way GET RID OF IT. Please. Or at least taper down and see if providing increased wet over dry makes a difference. You might be surprised.

As another poster suggested, Cat Attract might work but it sounds like this is a health problem, not a behavior problem so all the tricks in the world won't work (I've tried them myself, I had a floor pooper :P) if there is something fundamentally wrong with kitty's insides. Feeding that sawdust garbage loaded with fillers kitty doesn't need might only exacerbate the problem. Even if it doesn't, you would do your cat a huge favor to research an alternative that treats kitty's insides with more respect than corn-based dry food.

If it's an intimidation issue, can you isolate this cat in a bedroom? It seems cruel but if he's being harassed, you might be doing him a favor by segregating the cats for a bit. It will at least give you some insight into whether or not that is the issue.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Catsmom21, I wanted to give you reputation for this but it won't let me since I've already done so recently but YES. I hope you realize as soon as I read "Purina One urinary formula" I immediately thought of you and knew you'd have something to say... sorry, that's kind of a backhanded compliment

Anyway, to OP, did the vet suggest that food or did you take it upon yourself to provide it? Either way GET RID OF IT. Please. Or at least taper down and see if providing increased wet over dry makes a difference. You might be surprised.

As another poster suggested, Cat Attract might work but it sounds like this is a health problem, not a behavior problem so all the tricks in the world won't work (I've tried them myself, I had a floor pooper :P) if there is something fundamentally wrong with kitty's insides. Feeding that sawdust garbage loaded with fillers kitty doesn't need might only exacerbate the problem. Even if it doesn't, you would do your cat a huge favor to research an alternative that treats kitty's insides with more respect than corn-based dry food.

If it's an intimidation issue, can you isolate this cat in a bedroom? It seems cruel but if he's being harassed, you might be doing him a favor by segregating the cats for a bit. It will at least give you some insight into whether or not that is the issue.
Well, I found out today, after another vet visit and full workup including labs, ultrasound, u/a, etc...it is behavioral..He has a CLEAN bill of health, so diet is not an issue.

I only have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in my house, my spare bedroom is where I keep all of my litter pans for all of my cats...My house is very small...2 bedrooms and baths, kitchen, family room, that is it...no garage or basement either. So putting him in the "spare" bedroom will cause me a litter box problem as I have nowhere else to keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats