U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 PM

169 posts, read 181,218 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I recently moved. My parents offered to keep one of my cats because we have a limit on the amount we can have here. I had to take another one of my cats to the SPCA because my parents couldn't keep both and my hands were tied. Ever since then, Girlie has been peeing and pooping in places other then the litter box. My mom said she'll have one thing of poop in there a day but never any pee. She has always had this type of problem. When something bothers her, upsets her or pisses her off she'll pee in random spots. She had done this a few months ago for reasons unknown. The flooring wasn't completely finished where she did it so it seeped underneath and also into the drywall. I'm assuming she started doing this again because she's upset that I had to get rid of my other kitty. She's alone most of the day because both my parents work. I had tried Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer before but I guess it didn't work too well. My dad pulled up the floor where it smelled the worst and so she's been peeing on the concrete there. We tried different litter, the urine destroyer, my dad used kaboom or something on the concrete...and she still is peeing in multiple places on the floor. I don't know what else to do. My dad is getting extremely fed up and wants to get rid of her but with her having this behavioral problem she will be considered "unadoptable." Any suggestions on what I can do to stop her from doing this? Anything to make her happier? Anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,051,840 times
yow. yep, you have a problem. Instead of Natures Miracle, try Fizzion (comes in tablets you drop in water) it works differently and Jackson Galaxy swears by it - you can check their store locator and see if anyone near you carries it (I've not seen it at Petco or Petsmart) or you can order it through amazon - it's only about $6-8 for 2 tablets that go in 32oz of water which has a shelf-life of about a year. People have mixed it in with rug shampoo and had good results. But this will only deal with the odor aspect, no prevent.

Sounds like she's missing her friend, and not happy with the relocation. Cats can and do grieve and often act out from anxiety. She may also be afraid that something else may happen to her. I would talk to her vet about anxiety. There are holistic remedies for anxiety (no idea how well they work - I know rescue remedy did nothing for mine), there is also something called 'clomacalm' which has had really good results for easing anxiety that leads to peeing. I have used this with my own cats. You'll likely give only 1/2 of a very small pill every day for however long the vet suggests and then taper off. Often it's enough to break the cycle. I had a friend who took in 2 cats when another mutual friend died, and one of them had a lot of bereavement issues - that also included peeing. Her vet suggested prozac until he processed it all and got comfortable again. He must have been on a higher dose than my aggressive cat - who you would never think needed it or is even on it, but he is getting better with the cat he chases- and he's not on it anymore. And.. he's not peeing inappropriately any more.

So, if holistic remedies don't work, or you don't want to try them.. check out clomacalm first. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of medicating their pets, but if it's a choice between a gentle med or the shelter... save a life! besides, nothing wrong with giving the brain a bit of a shove back in line when it's off-kilter, we're not talking about drugging senseless!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM

169 posts, read 181,218 times
Yeah I figured because we're now gone, her buddy is gone and she's alone most of the day she's thinking something might happen to her as well. I'll definately look into the calming and odor removal products. Thanks for the info

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,461,128 times
You / they can put her in a crate to keep her from peeing all over the place, as a short-term fix. 36" is large enough for a cat + litterbox. Let her out under supervision only.

Inflammation and/or UTI can cause them to pee around the house. And stress can lead to inflammation. My female had a UTI that started it, but we could not get the pee issue solved as easily as just clearing up her infection. So, she lived in a Midwest Homes for Pets "Cat Playpen" (I call it The Cat House, lol). And was put on Buspar for anti-anxiety and Dasequin for Cats for reducing inflammation and pain r/t her urinary tract.

Elsewhere in this cats forum, I posted the names of the 2 anti-urine products that we used. Urine Away and Urine Off, maybe? Nature's Miracle is not much good, in my experience. eta: Cat Pee Odor Eliminators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats