U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM

80 posts, read 354,065 times

Advertisements

I saw walnut based clumping litter at Petsmart today. Has anyone used this type? Please share your experience if you like. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,672,567 times
We just started using this litter a few days ago. There are 11 cats in the household. I'm fairly impressed but seeing as it has only been a few days, I want to take a little more time to render a verdict. Plus - I haven't been home much and my husband has been taking care of the boxes. I can tell you that it is very low tracking which was not the case with our other natural litter, Feline Fresh (NOT Feline Pine) that we love....except for the tracking issue. So right now...it has one thumbs up.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM

80 posts, read 354,065 times
That sounds great! I'll give it a try too. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,672,567 times
Ok. I know its only been a couple of days later but I asked my husband what he thought of the litter since he's the one taking care of it all and he said he loves it. He said it tracks sooooo much less. We no longer have litter all over our carpet (I just thought he was vacuuming more . I'm thinking that this one may be a keeper for sure.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,100 times
Im interested....

However, I wonder if the canines will eat it? Walnuts are toxic to dogs... so if you have a mixed animal household i would be weary. The corn litter is like crack to my dog, he begs to eat it so we had to switch to clay

Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,382,164 times
Old thread but asks my worry. I don't like clay litter due to ingestion as cat grooms. Corn based isout due to potential of corn & aflatoxin. So, walnut seems best but can it go rancid in a way the oil could be ingested by cat? Blue Buffalo is the only maker I see, or anyone know anyone else making walnut litter?

Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 PM

461 posts, read 232,935 times
that's an interesting question about a cat ingesting the litter.
My cat throws up, but I think it is bec. she has some digestive issues.

I use Walnut-based by Blue Buffalo. The reason I went to it, is bec. the cheap store-brand I was using has too much dust, and my cat also has asthma. Blue Buffalo was recommended, and I tried many, and this has the least dust.

I don't know the answer to the question about ingesting it.
I do find that this product does not clump very well. I mix in 'world's best cat litter' to help with the clumping.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,382,164 times
Ellenr, do you think walnut gets rancidity when it sits awhile? Also, any attraction to flies or other bugs due to food-like smell? I guess corn smells too as I not used corn based, but the clay seems so unhealthy thus need a change.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 PM

907 posts, read 471,581 times
I use corn based Arm N Hammer Essentials. Cat likes it, I like it, it smells nice although a bit strong when you first open the bag. It clumps well and in the three years I have been using it I have not had any problems. Sometimes I am lazy and the cat box goes all week without being cleaned and still no stink. I do a complete litter change about every two weeks.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:13 AM

905 posts, read 836,626 times
I was using the Arm N Hammer Essentials for the past few years, love it. But now they discontinued it and have another type. I agree with you, no stink. Clay is too heavy to haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats