U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM

944 posts, read 372,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
First your cat should have a check up to determine what her healthy weight should be, and to make sure she is healthy. I recommend blood work, a full superchem, if you can afford it.

A cat should lose no more than half a pound a month. Slower than that is even better. A quarter pound a month is better, but NO MORE than half a pound a month.

Get a baby scale, and get your cat on a healthy canned diet, first. (dry food is not "good for their teeth")

After you transition your cat to a decent canned food:

Say you are feeding her 6 ounces of some grain free canned food a day.

Weigh her, and continue to feed her the 6 ounces a day for two weeks. Weigh her again. Has she lost any weight? Gained any? Or stayed the same. If she has lost a couple of ounces, continue with the 6 ounces a day, and weigh her weekly, you should see a weight loss of about 2 ounces a week.

If she has gained or stayed the same you will need to cut back. Cut back VERY SLOWLY.

If you were feeding her two thee ounce cans a day, cut back by 1/8 of a can. Meaning, feed her one eighth can less a day. Do this for two weeks, then weigh her. If she has lost an ounce or two, keep on that amount. If she has not lost any, cut back by another 1/8 can.

Feed small meals. In the morning, put down 1/4 of the three ounce can. In 15 or 30 minutes, put down another 1/4 can. Before you leave for work, put down another 1/4 can.

Play with her for a few minutes before you leave the house. This helps stimulate her both physically and mentally. She will play by herself more, if you play with her first.

When you get home from work, play with her again. Then give her 1/4 can. Now she has had three ounces. Before you sit down to your own supper give her 1/4 can. An hour later give her another fourth can. At bed time give her whatever is left of her remaining quota for the day. Have one more play session before bed.

(adding a little water to each serving can help her feel fuller. Just a little warm water, a tablespoon or so)

Keep a cat journal and record what you feed her and when. Weigh her at the same times every week. Keep track of when she has peed and pooped, because that will make a difference in how much she weighs at weighing time.

Exercise is very important. The more you play with her, the more interested in play she will become. Be patient. Heavy cats do not usually want to play much. It will take her time to get used to being more active.

Pay attention. She will let you know what kind of Games she likes best.

Do NOT suddenly cut her intake in half. This is extremely dangerous. Overweight cats get fatty liver disease (feline hepatic lipidosis) if they lose weight too fast.

No more than half a pound (8 ounces) a month.

Good luck. It is wonderful you want to help your cat reduce her weight, and be more healthy, live longer, have fewer vet bills.

PS If you don't want to get a baby scale you can bring your cat in to the vet every couple of weeks to be weighed. But it shouldn't be too difficult to find a baby scale. Check freecycle.org.

what brand of food do you suggest? I play with him about 1 hour a day not all at once plus he runs around on his own a lot.

as for all the blood work and vet you suggested would cost me over $1000. Last time my cat saw the vet was for his shots and the the vet said to only feed him dry food and give him a quarter of a cup and my cat was crying meowing and starting to dig into the garbage and It broke my hart to think he was starving.....

I pick him up with me an weigh him and it comes out the same as if he was weighed alone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 PM

someone gave me a rep point dont know who but said Fancy Feast was fine to feed my cat.....

how about meow mix??????? they have small cups maybe one of those a day i was thinking. When I went to petco they told me not to feed him wet food when he is on a diet and to use Science diet. My vet says dry is better for his teeth, Another pet shop said feed him only wet and suggested fancy feast or friskeies.......

Now you see why I am so confussed.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM

i appreciate everyones posts but I like if you can suggest a brand thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,981,209 times
Your vet does not seem to know much about feline nutrition. Don't feel bad, many don't. Dry food is not good for cats, in ANY way. It is not good for their teeth, it is bad for their kidneys and it is bad for their urinary tract. It causes weight gain, and the subsequent health problems that go with it.

A vet that advises you to feed an overweight cat 1/4 cup of dry food a day to lose weight is a vet I would steer clear of.

Blood work costs usually about $100-$150 for a superchem. It does not cost $1000.

A few of the brands I feed my cats in rotation are:

Merrick Before Grain (my only complaint is that this food contains carrageenan)

By Nature 95 % (again, carrageenan)

By Nature Organic (no carrageenan, but contains menadione bislufate)

Weruva (no carrageenan, no menadione, but very very low in calories, so have to feed twice as much)

Soulistic (available at Petco only, also low in calories)

When switching a cat from dry to canned, and working on a weight loss plan, I would recommend you start with one food to begin with, for a couple of reasons. Frequent diet changes can cause digestive upsets. Plus foods vary widely in caloric content. Switching too many foods may make it difficult to have regular safe healthy weight loss..

Time enough to start varying his diet, once he's well on his way to better health.

If Fancy Feast is what is available to you, it is still better than kibble. Feed the Fancy Feast Classics, only. They are slightly better than the other varieties. Guar gum is not high frutcose syrup, it is a thickener.

And remember, no more than half a pound loss a month. A quarter pound a month would be even safer.

PS never take advice from pet store employees. They may or may not know what they are talking about. Dry is NEVER better.

If you want advice from a veterinarian read this website. She's wordy, but there is very good information there. Look to the right to see specific articles.

www.catinfo.org.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM

thank you catsmom 21....... i will try these brands you suggested.. xo xo xo from my cat

Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 PM

just on the weruva site and found out they sell this brand at a shop close to me and watching the video lol its funny but I learned a lot.

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Stores - Find a Location Near You

Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM

585 posts, read 738,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
someone gave me a rep point dont know who but said Fancy Feast was fine to feed my cat.....

how about meow mix??????? they have small cups maybe one of those a day i was thinking. When I went to petco they told me not to feed him wet food when he is on a diet and to use Science diet. My vet says dry is better for his teeth, Another pet shop said feed him only wet and suggested fancy feast or friskeies.......

Now you see why I am so confussed.
Oh sweetheart... NO NO NO. Read the ingredients. Anything with "by-product" or "wheat gluten" = BAD BAD BAD. Just about everything you can buy at the grocery store - Meow Mix, Friskies, Fancy Feast, etc.

I'm not attacking you so please don't take it that way, just want to help you do what's best for your kitty!

Mine eat everything from Wellness to Avoderm to Innova. Basically you want to make sure the first five or so ingredients are real meat and avoid wheat gluten at all costs. I've found "enough water for processing" is also a troubling ingredient. Reading the Science Diet labels, they contain basically the same garbage as the Meow Mix/Friskies brands, it's unfortunate that at least my pet store puts them in the same aisle as the grain-free foods.

And yes, catsmom21, you're right, guar gum is even in the "good" stuff. Just saying it's not ideal (I am mortified by the high fructose corn syrup effect on human diets and how hard it is for us to avoid it) but to avoid it completely you're getting into the pure raw diet stuff which I don't have the dedication for.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 PM

825 posts, read 668,299 times
Lavender, I would suggest listening to your VET in regards to the dry versus wet food. I used to work for a vet that said that most wet food was fattening and that wet food is terrible for their teeth. I am not a vet or a cat owner, so I don't know. What I do know is that I would listen to the person who spent four years in vet school.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM

585 posts, read 738,614 times
I'm not saying this is all vets but I'd be wary of taking a vet's recommendation, ours told me to put my ailing senior on a poisonous hooves and tails diet. I politely declined and got her off the Friskies her previous owner had her on. She can still jump 3 feet in the air and makes the litter box at 15 two years later so I'd say we're doing OK.

I'm a financial reporter by day so I follow the money. Do Vets get kickbacks or payments for recommending a certain kind of pet food? | Pet Food News

The bottom line is that ANYONE who owns a cat should research this fully, not just trust what people in a forum say nor what a single vet says either.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,125,730 times
quality food is a very tricky thing (and there are many threads to attest to this!), and when you get into it, it can drive you crazy!

FF is iffy - it's still considered better than dry, because there's less grain and more water. Fancy Feast pate style is better than the others. There are lots of designer foods out there that many people like, and they aren't all necessarily hideously expensive. Right now, Taste of the Wild (usually good) is on a recall list if your stores get it from SC. Ok: here's one of the tricky bits (but then losing weight for people is trickier than you'd expect also!) - Hill's O/m is the prescription diet food, and the only food my vet thinks is good for feline weightloss (of course, he likes Hill's). Their concept is that the cat needs more roughage to promote weightloss.. so of course it is pretty high in grains. But... grains are starch and we know starch isn't good for weightloss! <head smack> Now, back before I started reading labels, I had one of my cats on a mix of 1/2 can FF 2x day mixed with 1/4c of Hill's O/m. And he did lose weight! but, I don't like all that grain, and it's expensive so he's off it.

Innova makes a low fat canned food, that is pretty good. Personally, I believe avoiding as much grain as possible is important. and really, it makes sense for weight loss anyway. Some people like Blue Buffalo, but it can make your pet very gassy, and some get diarrhea from it (some don't) - mind wouldn't eat it.

btw: a small (3oz) can of anything only 1x day isn't enough calories for healthy living, even if they need to lose weight. And they will make your life miserable if you feed them that little and they are constantly hungry.

It used to be thought that dry food helped keep teeth clean, but they've come to realize that it doesn't and can actually make them worse. Did eating pretzels ever clean your teeth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats