Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM

943 posts, read 1,845,047 times

Advertisements

what is a safe amount of weight for a cat to lose a month?

What Cat food do you suggest for a cat on a diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
very very slowly!! don't even necessarily think about it by the month: my vet is happy if it's maybe a couple of pounds in a year! Even if they are extremely obese, fast weight loss causes liver issues and often Fatty Liver Disease which is usually fatal.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM

thank you.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
what is a safe amount of weight for a cat to lose a month?
A few ounces should be safe. Try and get the cat to be more active also. You can begin by weighing his food on one of those small cheap scales from WalMart or some such store. It's the easiest way. Every few days decrease the amount you feed him by 1/2 to 3/4s of an ounce. This will also keep him from feeling hungry. DO NOT LET HIM NIBBLE ALL HE WANTS ALL DAY LONG!

Quote:
What Cat food do you suggest for a cat on a diet?
Any of the canned foods are better than fattening dry kibble. What is he eating now and how much?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
A few ounces should be safe. Try and get the cat to be more active also. You can begin by weighing his food on one of those small cheap scales from WalMart or some such store. It's the easiest way. Every few days decrease the amount you feed him by 1/2 to 3/4s of an ounce. This will also keep him from feeling hungry. DO NOT LET HIM NIBBLE ALL HE WANTS ALL DAY LONG!

Any of the canned foods are better than fattening dry kibble. What is he eating now and how much?

I m giving him dry i cut it down to a 1/2 a cup a day, since I was told it was better for his teeth then the wet.

so maybe a small can of fancy feast a day will be a good choice do you think?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
You can't go too radical with cats because if they don't get enough intake they can get fatty liver disease. I believe the number is 15 calories per pound of ideal weight so if cat should weigh 12 pounds he should eat no less than 180 calories per day. Sometimes figuring out the real calorie count of the food can be difficult.

Try this page for some info on feeding for weight loss Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I have known some cat owners who had sucess with Hill's prescription food R/D for weight loss. It has a chart on the back on how much to feed according to the weight you want the pet to be. I got it for my dog, and it worked great. (of course they have a cat food too) i'm not really sure how much they should lose a month, but I believe a pound or two a month would be good.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I m giving him dry i cut it down to a 1/2 a cup a day, since I was told it was better for his teeth then the wet.

so maybe a small can of fancy feast a day will be a good choice do you think?
Have you read the ingredients on that can of Fancy Feast? It's basically hooves and noses and other garbage parts of "meat" that you wouldn't eat and "wheat gluten" which no cat should EVER eat. Xanthan gum and guar gum are basically high fructose corn syrup byproducts. Cats are NOT supposed to digest that stuff... there's a reason they call it Kitty Crack, for the same reason junk food addicts love McDonald's. It's not nutrition.

There are apparently SOME lower carb FF varieties but I'd never feed that to any of my cats because of the whole hooves and noses and cow butts thing.

PLEASE do some research (there are TONS of threads on this here and elsewhere and I'm sure there are a few proponents of grain-free diets here that would be happy to help you) and talk to the vet if you trust that your vet isn't a shill for some of the prescription foods that are basically the same garbage.

/end rant

Anyway, I too had the problem with overweight kitties grazing all day long and while it has been hard to ween them off the dry, it can be done! I committed to no "pity feeding" (like last night when I was up at 4 in the morning and all three of them were in the kitchen where their food bowls are expecting a meal even though they know they eat when I leave for work and when I get home, NO MORE) and playing with the kittens a minimum of 1 hour total a day.

I'm happy with their weight and so is their vet as long as they are highly active and restricted when it comes to treats and all-day feasts.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
First your cat should have a check up to determine what her healthy weight should be, and to make sure she is healthy. I recommend blood work, a full superchem, if you can afford it.

A cat should lose no more than half a pound a month. Slower than that is even better. A quarter pound a month is better, but NO MORE than half a pound a month.

Get a baby scale, and get your cat on a healthy canned diet, first. (dry food is not "good for their teeth")

After you transition your cat to a decent canned food:

Say you are feeding her 6 ounces of some grain free canned food a day.

Weigh her, and continue to feed her the 6 ounces a day for two weeks. Weigh her again. Has she lost any weight? Gained any? Or stayed the same. If she has lost a couple of ounces, continue with the 6 ounces a day, and weigh her weekly, you should see a weight loss of about 2 ounces a week.

If she has gained or stayed the same you will need to cut back. Cut back VERY SLOWLY.

If you were feeding her two thee ounce cans a day, cut back by 1/8 of a can. Meaning, feed her one eighth can less a day. Do this for two weeks, then weigh her. If she has lost an ounce or two, keep on that amount. If she has not lost any, cut back by another 1/8 can.

Feed small meals. In the morning, put down 1/4 of the three ounce can. In 15 or 30 minutes, put down another 1/4 can. Before you leave for work, put down another 1/4 can.

Play with her for a few minutes before you leave the house. This helps stimulate her both physically and mentally. She will play by herself more, if you play with her first.

When you get home from work, play with her again. Then give her 1/4 can. Now she has had three ounces. Before you sit down to your own supper give her 1/4 can. An hour later give her another fourth can. At bed time give her whatever is left of her remaining quota for the day. Have one more play session before bed.

(adding a little water to each serving can help her feel fuller. Just a little warm water, a tablespoon or so)

Keep a cat journal and record what you feed her and when. Weigh her at the same times every week. Keep track of when she has peed and pooped, because that will make a difference in how much she weighs at weighing time.

Exercise is very important. The more you play with her, the more interested in play she will become. Be patient. Heavy cats do not usually want to play much. It will take her time to get used to being more active.

Pay attention. She will let you know what kind of Games she likes best.

Do NOT suddenly cut her intake in half. This is extremely dangerous. Overweight cats get fatty liver disease (feline hepatic lipidosis) if they lose weight too fast.

No more than half a pound (8 ounces) a month.

Good luck. It is wonderful you want to help your cat reduce her weight, and be more healthy, live longer, have fewer vet bills.

PS If you don't want to get a baby scale you can bring your cat in to the vet every couple of weeks to be weighed. But it shouldn't be too difficult to find a baby scale. Check freecycle.org.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-12-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Have you read the ingredients on that can of Fancy Feast? It's basically hooves and noses and other garbage parts of "meat" that you wouldn't eat and "wheat gluten" which no cat should EVER eat. Xanthan gum and guar gum are basically high fructose corn syrup byproducts. Cats are NOT supposed to digest that stuff... there's a reason they call it Kitty Crack, for the same reason junk food addicts love McDonald's. It's not nutrition.

There are apparently SOME lower carb FF varieties but I'd never feed that to any of my cats because of the whole hooves and noses and cow butts thing.

PLEASE do some research (there are TONS of threads on this here and elsewhere and I'm sure there are a few proponents of grain-free diets here that would be happy to help you) and talk to the vet if you trust that your vet isn't a shill for some of the prescription foods that are basically the same garbage.

/end rant

Anyway, I too had the problem with overweight kitties grazing all day long and while it has been hard to ween them off the dry, it can be done! I committed to no "pity feeding" (like last night when I was up at 4 in the morning and all three of them were in the kitchen where their food bowls are expecting a meal even though they know they eat when I leave for work and when I get home, NO MORE) and playing with the kittens a minimum of 1 hour total a day.

I'm happy with their weight and so is their vet as long as they are highly active and restricted when it comes to treats and all-day feasts.

SO what are YOU suggesting he eats since you state Fancy is not fancy enough????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats