Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM

11,197 posts, read 19,364,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Last night I got home from work and Zooboo wanted in so we let him in and were playing with him for a few minutes. We were sitting with him right by the door into the garage. We were talking, laughing etc. Then zooboo wanted to go out so my husband opened the garage door and there was Ohpo by the door! Of course he took off running, but I think this is progress?

Also someone at work said when I am in the garage don't go looking for Ohpo because then I will come upon his many hiding places and it will scare him even more and he will look for a new hiding place and not go back to the previous place. I have found this to be true! He has MANY places and when I find him there, he is never there again.

I made a box with a hole in it and put a blanket in it. The box is fully closed with the exception of the hole on the end and a small hole on the side. I put it under the work bench. I thought he could get in that (maybe) and view us from the hole on the side.

I am feeling more confident that he might be coming around. I am also trying to spend the same time each day sitting in the garage, talking or just reading a book.
OH yes, that is excellent progress! I agree with your co worker, I didn't realize you were trying to hunt him down every time you went to the garage. My advice was to just let him be and let him come out in his own time.

I hope he likes his box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,450,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
OH yes, that is excellent progress! I agree with your co worker, I didn't realize you were trying to hunt him down every time you went to the garage. My advice was to just let him be and let him come out in his own time.

I hope he likes his box.
It was more concern for Ohpo than finding all his hiding places. At first I kept worrying that something was wrong because I didn't see him. I would look for him hoping I didn't find him hurt or sick behind something. My biggest concern was I didn't think he was eating, but I am pretty sure he is now. I don't look for him now.

I hope he likes his box too, but not sure because I didn't go over to see if he was in it for fear he wouldn't come back to it if he was.

We had a little commotion tonight. I was on the phone and I heard this really loud howling from the garage. I thought maybe Ohpo and Zooboo were in a fight. I raced to the garage to see Zooboo standing by the cat door (which is shut and locked and goes to the outside) howling. I looked out and it's the other feral cat that I believe killed or hurt my "gravey" last month. I had to pick up zooboo and get him away from the door and I blocked it so he couldn't see out.

Not sure what to do about that other feral cat. I thought he was long gone because I haven't seen him since Gravey was found dead.

I saw Zooboo and Ohpo out in the garage standing together tonight when I checked on them after work. Progress......fingers crossed.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Last edited by Chickrae; 06-02-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM

17,609 posts, read 22,528,153 times
Quote:
It was more concern for Ohpo than finding all his hiding places. At first I kept worrying that something was wrong because I didn't see him. I would look for him hoping I didn't find him hurt or sick behind something. My biggest concern was I didn't think he was eating, but I am pretty sure he is now. I don't look for him now.

I hope he likes his box too, but not sure because I didn't go over to see if he was in it for fear he wouldn't come back to it if he was.

We had a little commotion tonight. I was on the phone and I heard this really loud howling from the garage. I thought maybe Ohpo and Zooboo were in a fight. I raced to the garage to see Zooboo standing by the cat door (which is shut and locked and goes to the outside) howling. I looked out and it was the other feral cat that I believe killed or hurt my "gravey" last month. I had to pick up zooboo and get him away from the door and I blocked it so he couldn't see out.

Not sure what to do about that other feral cat. I thought he was long gone because I haven't seen him since Gravey was found dead.

I saw Zooboo and Ohpo out in the garage standing together tonight when I checked on them after work. Progress......fingers crossed.
You could probably get a live trap from animal control...catch feral cat...relocate feral cat to another area better suited for him.

Sounds like zooboo & ohpo are getting to be buddies...

Last edited by Chickrae; 06-02-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
You could probably get a live trap from animal control...catch feral cat...relocate feral cat to another area better suited for him.

Sounds like zooboo & ohpo are getting to be buddies...
That's what we are thinking of doing. At the animal shelter they have an outside area (not fenced) that is for all the feral cats with the exception of Ohpo when he lived there, as he was in a cage. I think this other cat might be better there instead of trying to get in our garage and get food.

Yes I think zooboo and Ohpo are liking each other. I have seen them together in the middle of the garage more than once.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM

17,609 posts, read 22,528,153 times
I've noticed sometimes tux kitty & orange kitty party & sleep in webcam room all night. At times orange kitty's tail is hanging down from top of cat hotel, where he's sleeping, & tux was sleeping on the bottom level.

Cracks me up...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam

Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've noticed sometimes tux kitty & orange kitty party & sleep in webcam room all night. At times orange kitty's tail is hanging down from top of cat hotel, where he's sleeping, & tux was sleeping on the bottom level.

Cracks me up...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam

I saw a dog with puppies in there today...........so cute!

I think more progress has been made with Ohpo. Today I came out to sit with the cats for an hour and Ohpo was standing there. I sat down, zooboo jumped on my lap and Ohpo just stared at me before running under the work bench. I hope he is getting to know my voice!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,348,474 times
Baby steps, but good news!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,250,099 times
If you get two you can make them get married and one of them is already dressed for the day

Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM

Last night my husband was talking to zooboo and ohpo in the garage and he came in and shut the door but left it a crack open. He stood there and watched and Ohpo came out and brushed by the side of Zooboo, went and threw a fake mouse toy up in the air, and then used the litter box. I guess he likes Zooboo, but is scared of us still.

Today I went out to clean litter boxes and get fresh water etc and Ohpo sat on the blanket under the work bench just observing. I said Hi to him but went back to what I was doing. At least he didn't take off running.

Baby steps for sure. I have had them two weeks today.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
I saw a dog with puppies in there today...........so cute!

I think more progress has been made with Ohpo. Today I came out to sit with the cats for an hour and Ohpo was standing there. I sat down, zooboo jumped on my lap and Ohpo just stared at me before running under the work bench. I hope he is getting to know my voice!
I rescued this one tuxedo cat, and she was so skinny you could see her ribs. Then she brought me her six kittens. I caught all of them, one coming to me on his own, but the last took a week during which it was her and mom and mom wasn't there much. She was terrified of everything. She hid most of the time, and managed to get pregnant. One of her kittens was even worse. My 'safe' room for them was where they stayed. The room got drowning in fleas and they had to come out so they have had no place to hide the last couple of weeks.

The mother likes to sit under the table but has been venturing out to sit with the rest in the living room. The little one, full grown but very small, was worse and would scrach if she though you were going to pick her up. Now she's ventured out into the living room to sit behind me and lets me pet her. This is a huge huge milestone for a cat that hid when the door was opened before (it was rigged so only cats could get in and not dogs).

Keep up the good work, have patience, and try speaking to Ohpo, maybe meowing at him. I have not tried it with cats but with dogs who are scared (my one dog had been abused) putting a treat not close to you and sitting while they take it helps, teaches them that you won't steal from them.

I need to downsize if anyone knows of a group which takes cats for adoption in Oklahoma. There is nothing 'offical' I can turn to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats