Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times

Advertisements

I lost my little "gravey" cat a couple weeks ago. Maybe it's a depression thing, I don't know but I have been visiting the animal shelter about 3 times a week since this happened to our cat. I have become attached to a cat there who actually "chose me". You have heard the saying that a cat may choose you, not you choosing them? Well this is what happened. There is another semi-feral cat that has been at the shelter for two months and lost his mother during a surgery. My dh saw him and fell in love with him. He might be more of a challenge because you need to "earn" his attention. He has warmed up to me also but it has taken a few visits. The two cats have never met each other, as they are in separate areas. The semi-feral one is in a cage because apparantly he doesn't like being around a big group of cats (or so they said in the shelter) and the other is in an open cat room. They are both male and less than a year old.

I can't decide which to cat to get or to whether to get both. Or do I bring one home (semi-feral) one, get him used to being in our house and then adopt the other.

Also thinking of names for these cats. I don't like the current names and have thought of these...them being black and white. Oreo, tux, chess, pepper, domino, cricket, spade.

I have never owned two cats at the same time. Your thoughts or experiences....

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
You are in an excellent position and frame of mind to adopt kitties. My first as a grown up was a long haired female Tuxedo named Rosebud (Rosie for short). She was born to a feral litter, mother was found on road dead, she and littermates rescued by some gals who tended bar and found them under a tree in the parking lot. I took Rosie because I wanted a cat of my own (and company for my Pomeranian while I was at work) and because I felt so sorry for her circumstances. She blossomed into a beautiful girl, loving, feisty, and totally a one-woman cat. She despised company (would sit glaring at the intruders) and loved to curl around my head at night in bed. She died very abruptly one Sunday afternoon around age 8, she had been spayed as a kitten, had regular check ups, and no hint of illness. By that time, she was sharing our home with two additional sisters, Callie and Sweetie. After she died, I wanted another Tuxedo and eventually found Lilly about a year later. She was also born to a feral litter, is a long-haired female, still very timid and beautiful, but she is not and will never be Rosebud. My experience is this - two cats are always happiest together, really no harder to take care of than one is. No matter how much you fuss over the initial meetings - there will be some posturing between the two. I would bring them both home at the same time, let them get used to you both, your home and each other, and they will work it out. It will always work out in the end. Every creature likes to be with its own kind - and I think they would each be happier with a playmate in the house. Since both you and your husband are interested in adoption and you know you have already been "chosen", what in the world are you waiting for??? Grab your keys and go get them today - nobody should have to wait for a loving home!!!! As for names, they will come as you learn their personalities. My Lilly is named after Lilly Munster (the black and white hair!!). I do love Tuxedos and find them to be quite striking - but then I think all cats are beautiful and striking!!! I wish you very good luck and please keep us posted. OH, and be careful racing to the shelter to pick them up!!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Cookie and Checkers say get two.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuxedo Cats....get one or two-dscn0312-2-small-version.jpg  

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
What beautiful fur children you have!!!! Our brood agrees - get at least two!!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
I'm also in the "two are better than one" camp.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM

75 posts, read 101,967 times
I think you should get both!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
I think you should adopt both and when you bring them both home at the same time it will help them see they both belong there. This way neither one feels he was there first. I would stay with them all day and night, not go to work for a week if possible, to make sure they get along ok. If they don't I wouldn't worry since they would only be just getting to know each other. To me it's worth it to adopt both. I did I adopted two and have never regretted it and I know now I will never only have just one after having adopted two together at the same time from the shelter. I hope you adopt both I think you will be very happy you did.

BTW, If they aren't already declawed I hope you never take the risk of getting them declawed. I have learned it's not good for the cat to do that to them.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM

It looks like the the vote is to get both. My biggest concern is the one that is semi-feral and has been in a cage for two months. How will he adjust to this other cat he has never seen? Do I keep them separated for a while? Do they share the same litter box and cat feeder?

The reason I haven't adopted them yet is this weekend we will be gone for 4 days and I didn't want to leave them alone. Adoption day is Tuesday.

Now to maybe throw a dog into the mix....my son asked me tonight if I would take his pomeranian/chuwawa (sp) because they can't have him anymore. This dog is a good dog but growls alot. I am really not a dog person but I do like this little dog. Should I get the cats first and get them used to us and their new home and then bring the dog in a month or so.

I am not sure what to do.

Last edited by Chickrae; 05-18-2012 at 02:24 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cookie and Checkers say get two.
They are adorable!! I love the name checkers...maybe I can borrow it for one of my cats.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post

BTW, If they aren't already declawed I hope you never take the risk of getting them declawed. I have learned it's not good for the cat to do that to them.
They aren't and I won't.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats