U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2012, 05:25 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,962,008 times

Advertisements

(continued from last post)

Try to make time for a quick interactive game of some kind right before you leave the house. This will increase their metabolisms, the exercise is good for their digestion and it may inspire them to play a little more, after you leave, even.

When you get home, after a quick game to get the metabolism going again, give them half of what is left in their containers. Feed that half in two small portions, adding a little warm water to make it more palatable after being refrigerated. Later in the evening, fit in one more interactive game session, then right before bed time, feed them their last meal of the day, that last one fourth portion, again, splitting it into two smaller servings, and adding another teaspoon of so of water.

Each cat gets the right amount of food, without any chance to over eat, and three interactive play sessions a day.

It will take time for them to adjust, but they will. I do advise making this kind of transition slowly. Don't remove the kibble all at once. Just add less to their free-feed bowl each day until you are only putting down a few pieces at a time.

It is actually better for a cat to completely digest her food and have an empty stomach for a while. An empty stomach helps stimulate the motility needed by the intestinal muscles to keep things moving on down. Not TOO long. 9 or 10 hours at the most. 8-9 hours is better.

(split again)

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-19-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Once they are entirely on canned food, you can gauge better what each cat will need for the proper quantity every day, to maintain her healthy weight. I prefer to use a baby scale and take weights every 7-10 days. You can often find a baby scale for a good price at garage sales, on craigslist, or even look for/advertise your need on www.freecycle.org for one.

If you don't want to do weigh-ins, just get a feel by hand for what each cat should feel like at a healthy weight. Over the ribs, and underneath the ribs on the chest, are usually the best places to judge. I had a cat who tended to be very slender, and I could gauge how he was doing by the size of (or lack of) his little fat pad on the underside of his ribs (between his front legs). If a cat starts feeling too padded or not padded enough, adjust that cat's quantity accordingly.

If the heavier cat is having trouble passing stool properly to clear out her anal glands, adding a tablespoon of pumpkin a day to her diet may help. This also will help her feel more satisfied and cut down on any hairball issues. Pumpkin helps push the fur out the way it's supposed to go. (Pure canned pumpkin, nothing else added. Not pie filling. )

Pumpkin often has to be started at tiny amounts, for the cat to get used to the taste. Eventually work up to 1 tablespoon split between three of the 5 or 6 daily servings.

If you want more information on how to use the pumpkin I will be happy to explain my methods.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-19-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM

One more tip. Usually you end up with one cat who eats much more quickly than the other, and barges the other out.

Cats can be trained to not do this. Each cat should have her own meal spot. If you do have a barger, put the slower eating cat in a less easily accessible place. My slowest eater eats at an elevation, while the fastest eater has her meal in a corner behind the portable clothes washer.

Feed the slower eater first. If she is elevated it is easier to keep the other away from her as you prepare the other cat's dish. When she does try to barge, just gently pick her up and put her back at her own meal spot to wait for her meal. You may have to be the Dreaded Food Police and remove fast eater from the room until slow eater has finished.

My cats all sit at their own Meal Spots and wait to be fed. The current cats learned from the cats who were here when they came forever home. So they've never known it any different way. Some needed more reinforcement than others.

I have a speed eater here. When she first came and didn't understand that barging was considered impolite, the other cats always seemed so shocked when she barged in. They would back away and look up at me as if to say "Mom, look what she did!" That girlie learned how it's done without too much training.

Yours will be learning a new method, to both of them, but with patience and consistency, you will all adjust.

If you do decide to do this, let us know how it goes, okay?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 AM

30 posts, read 22,800 times
Maybe she is too fat to do that. You can let her weight off, and see if she will do that again.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM

508 posts, read 798,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
If you do decide to do this, let us know how it goes, okay?
Wow wow wow, thanks so much! I can't rep you again, but please know how much the detailed response is appreciated. My husband and I need to explore the best options for canned food to do this with and then really sit down and start this as a regimen. My worry is them going 8+ hours without food, but your advice of making this transition slowly is definitely a good one. I need to evaluate their canned food options now, as if it will be the bulk (if not all) of their diet, I want to make sure I’m making the right decision. This is definitely my homework for the week.

I tried to get started on your bit of advice about exercising Mocha (my 12 lb cat) is the mornings to help with metabolism. She wasn’t having it, LOL! I tried her mice, feather chasers, the laser light. She just looked at me like “You think I’m getting off my butt right now?!”. Smokey (8 lb.’er) loved it though, and was very excited to run all over the house and play. Sigh…

It’s funny, they used to race to finish their food so they could barge in on each other’s, but they’ve stopped doing that in the past year or so. They both finish their own bowls of canned food and walk away, quite content. Mocha does get milk in the mornings, maybe half a tablespoon full. We alternate between what we can find—either the milk made specifically for cats or goat’s milk. Our vet said either one fine, and given the very small amount, he didn’t advise against it. She loves it—not sure how that got started to be honest! Smokey is not a fan of milk. We used to give them treats (3-4 each) in the evenings after work, but we stopped that when we started worrying about Mocha’s weight. They don’t seem to miss it. Smokey’s really not a big eater in general (though she’s the one right there staring at you when you’re eating or cooking human food). Mocha will eat anything for cats, not too interested in human food unless it’s ice cream!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I tried to get started on your bit of advice about exercising Mocha (my 12 lb cat) is the mornings to help with metabolism. She wasn’t having it, LOL! I tried her mice, feather chasers, the laser light. She just looked at me like “You think I’m getting off my butt right now?!
Keep at it. It takes time to get a cat not used to moving a lot, moving again. If you try every day, soon it will be part of her routine. As she gets more into it she will let you know what kind of games she likes best.

I have a girl who tends to be chubby and disliked exercise. I finally found out what she likes. Her favorite thing is to be patted with a fly swatter (she has her own now, not used to swat insects) on the bed. She walks up and down the length of the bed as I pat her with the fly swatter. Sometimes she trots. She flops and rolls and grabs the fly swatter and bunny kicks it.

This may not seem like a lot of exercise but it is certainly more than she was getting before. The rolling and stretching is good, as is the walking and trotting up and down the bed. However the best part is, after a five minute fly swatting session she becomes inspired and starts running around the house at warp speed for a few minutes.

While she's doing that, I turn to the other two cats for their special favorites, and the fly swatter cat, still revved up from her fly swatter, will even participate a little in those.

What do you do with the wand/feather toys? Some cats are particular about how those are moved in front of them. Some like them held up so they can leap up after them. Some like them wiggly, or swished across the floor, some prefer to have them hidden so they can hunt.

Here are some ideas to try:

Catch the Bump Under the Rug: Put a throw rug in front of Mocha. Slide a wand toy under it and wiggle it to make an enticing moving bump under the rug. Cats like the stalk-freeze-wiggle-pounce of a hunt.

Variations of this Game: Use a newspaper (cats love the crackly noise of a newspaper). Also try starting with the toy peeking out from the edge of the rug or newspaper, or use a thick string on a stick type toy and slowly drag the string under the rug (or newspaper)

Make the newspaper into a tent, see if she likes Newspaper Tents. My Bridge Angel Boy loved Newspaper Tents. They were portable forts! He could go all over the apartment (with the newspaper on top of him) and never leave his tent.

Give them a Paper Bag Fort for hiding in, to pounce from. Always cut any handles on bags.

Give them a Box Fort or two. Cats love cardboard boxes.

Buy a pack of 'super balls'. Some cats really love chasing after those bouncy balls.

Even if they show no interest the first time you try a new Game, keep trying them. Some cats are just slow to start.

One more thing, if you can, if you don't already have one, put a bird feeder outside a favorite kitty window. This is cat TV. It keeps them alert and involved and mentally simulated.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM

508 posts, read 798,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Keep at it. It takes time to get a cat not used to moving a lot, moving again. If you try every day, soon it will be part of her routine. As she gets more into it she will let you know what kind of games she likes best.

I have a girl who tends to be chubby and disliked exercise. I finally found out what she likes. Her favorite thing is to be patted with a fly swatter (she has her own now, not used to swat insects) on the bed. She walks up and down the length of the bed as I pat her with the fly swatter. Sometimes she trots. She flops and rolls and grabs the fly swatter and bunny kicks it.

This may not seem like a lot of exercise but it is certainly more than she was getting before. The rolling and stretching is good, as is the walking and trotting up and down the bed. However the best part is, after a five minute fly swatting session she becomes inspired and starts running around the house at warp speed for a few minutes.

While she's doing that, I turn to the other two cats for their special favorites, and the fly swatter cat, still revved up from her fly swatter, will even participate a little in those.

What do you do with the wand/feather toys? Some cats are particular about how those are moved in front of them. Some like them held up so they can leap up after them. Some like them wiggly, or swished across the floor, some prefer to have them hidden so they can hunt.

Here are some ideas to try:

Catch the Bump Under the Rug: Put a throw rug in front of Mocha. Slide a wand toy under it and wiggle it to make an enticing moving bump under the rug. Cats like the stalk-freeze-wiggle-pounce of a hunt.

Variations of this Game: Use a newspaper (cats love the crackly noise of a newspaper). Also try starting with the toy peeking out from the edge of the rug or newspaper, or use a thick string on a stick type toy and slowly drag the string under the rug (or newspaper)

Make the newspaper into a tent, see if she likes Newspaper Tents. My Bridge Angel Boy loved Newspaper Tents. They were portable forts! He could go all over the apartment (with the newspaper on top of him) and never leave his tent.

Give them a Paper Bag Fort for hiding in, to pounce from. Always cut any handles on bags.

Give them a Box Fort or two. Cats love cardboard boxes.

Buy a pack of 'super balls'. Some cats really love chasing after those bouncy balls.

Even if they show no interest the first time you try a new Game, keep trying them. Some cats are just slow to start.

One more thing, if you can, if you don't already have one, put a bird feeder outside a favorite kitty window. This is cat TV. It keeps them alert and involved and mentally simulated.
Thanks for the suggestions. When she's in the mood, she'll play, but usually only with the laser beam or with her tiger tail toy (that's more of a walking around, meowing, the giving tiger tail as a present to us... usually in the middle of the night). I'll push my husband to try as well; she's closer to him. BUT, she does love to hate birds! She gets very mad when one flies by the window, and will pace around chirping and complaining about it. She runs from window to window to. This may be a solution to get her moving around more. That being said, I have a fear of birds...

Smokey, on the other hand, will play 24/7 if you were up for it-- poke wars through the shower curtain, monster under the duvet, snakey man (long snake attached to a stick), laser, mousies, hand monster (gloved toy), etc. As you can tell, we even have names for all her games and toys. She's more active in general and will play alone as well. She's "my" cat-- we're closer! Funnily enough-- she's scared of heights. We're on the top floor of our building, and she'll only sit near the window that the balcony is at. If we even walk near a window while we're carrying her, the claws come out and she freaks out. Odd.

Thanks again for all the tips. You're amazing!

They're really our babies so we want to make sure they're getting the best we can give them. It's challenging sometimes to know exactly how to handle situation and to be "fair" about it. They are SO different from each other!

Mocha is the tabby, Smokey's the gray one! Not the best picture; it was years ago and they both have their eyes closed, but I love it anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats