Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Cinebar, thanks for all the updates. It is wonderful to go online and catch up on this little kitty's story. Bless you for what you are doing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You reminded me of how much you start out not wanting to have the responsibility of the care of a little creature (child, kitten, or squirrel, in my case)but then, when they don't need you anymore you miss them like crazy.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
The most amazing thing to me is how you've found the time and energy to do all this while caring for so many other precious creatures already...
I don't know.....I think I have some kitties who are feeling pretty neglected about now. I have several who take their lap-sitting very seriously and I'm pretty sure they're not particularly happy about jumping into my lap, only to find a tiny usurper in their way.

If they would just jump into my lap and lay right down, there would probably be room for them to be in my lap at the same time that I'm feeding or cuddling Baby, but so many of them insist on doing these weird contortions, and it just messes up whatever I'm trying to do with the kitten.

Last night, Tux, my 18-pounder, jumped into my lap and what he ordinarily likes to do is stretch himself lengthwise, with his head up on my chest, and his lower half down on my thighs, and I had to gently put him down. I really felt quite bad because he's such a sweet-natured guy and he's probably trying to figure out why I don't like him anymore.

Do you think they will survive this major intrusion in their lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

It's also important for you to socialize her young with other people and animals (if possible...of course not before she's been vaccinated).
I don't think socialization is going to be an issue around here.

There are plenty of other cats - and dogs, and even on occasion baby goats - for her to grow up with.

But I was thinking what an unnatural life this poor little thing is starting out with.

Last night, while I was cuddling her, one of the female cats (Fifi) jumped up with me and was kind of half sitting on the chair and half in my lap and she was checking out the baby. I thought how nice it would be if one of them would "adopt" her, maybe lay with her and clean her, and since Fifi is a very sweet and loving cat, I thought maybe she would.

So, I held the baby towards her and she sniffed at her and gave her face a couple of timid licks and then she put her mouth over the baby's neck! I pulled the baby away before she could latch on and decided that Fifi wasn't going to be the baby's surrogate Big Sister after all.

Last edited by Cinebar; 05-28-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't know.....I think I have some kitties who are feeling pretty neglected about now. I have several who take their lap-sitting very seriously and I'm pretty sure they're not particularly happy about jumping into my lap, only to find a tiny usurper in their way.

If they would just jump into my lap and lay right down, there would probably be room for them to be in my lap at the same time that I'm feeding or cuddling Baby, but so many of them insist on doing these weird contortions, and it just messes up whatever I'm trying to do with the kitten.

Last night, Tux, my 18-pounder, jumped into my lap and what he ordinarily likes to do is stretch himself lengthwise, with his head up on my chest, and his lower half down on my thighs, and I had to gently put him down. I really felt quite bad because he's such a sweet-natured guy and he's probably trying to figure out why I don't like him anymore.

Do you think they will survive this major intrusion in their lives?

I don't think socialization is going to be an issue around here.

There are plenty of other cats - and dogs, and even on occasion baby goats - for her to grow up with.

But I was thinking what an unnatural life this poor little thing is starting out with.

Last night, while I was cuddling her, one of the female cats (Fifi) jumped up with me and was kind of half sitting on the chair and half in my lap and she was checking out the baby. I thought how nice it would be if one of them would "adopt" her, maybe lay with her and clean her, and since Fifi is a very sweet and loving cat, I thought maybe she would.

So, I held the baby towards her and she sniffed at her and gave her face a couple of timid licks and then she put her mouth over the baby's neck! I pulled the baby away before she could latch on and decided that Fifi wasn't going to be the baby's surrogate Big Sister after all.
That may have been a maternal instinct kicking in. Mother cats carry their babies by the neck. I think you're on the right track looking for a mentor for Baby.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That may have been a maternal instinct kicking in. Mother cats carry their babies by the neck. I think you're on the right track looking for a mentor for Baby.
That could very well be what she was doing, and I did consider it, but at that moment, I had to make a split second decision and I just didn't want to take any chances. The baby is still so fragile, and I believe the situation is still tenuous, and I just didn't want to risk it.

I may try letting Fifi get to know Baby a little bit again tonight and see what happens.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
That could very well be what she was doing, and I did consider it, but at that moment, I had to make a split second decision and I just didn't want to take any chances. The baby is still so fragile, and I believe the situation is still tenuous, and I just didn't want to risk it.

I may try letting Fifi get to know Baby a little bit again tonight and see what happens.
yeah...unfortunately there's no real good way to test if she's thinking baby...or squirrel!

I think my Robin would be a great auntie cat. If she hears baby kittens on the TV she runs around looking for them. She doesn't do that for any other animal sounds. She'll check behind the TV. It makes me wonder if she ever had a litter before she came to us.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Well, she's still doing well.

I did switch her back to the syringe, though. While I think I was right about sucking on the rubber nipple of the bottle versus the hard plastic tip of the syringe, she just wasn't getting much out of the bottle. I had marked the outside of the bottle at a 5 cc level and most times, after she had nursed, it looked like the level had barely moved, even though I could see her sucking.

So, last night, I offered her 5 cc's in the syringe and she took all of it!

I don't know what the problem with the bottle is - I kept checking to make sure the formula could flow through the hole - but she just wasn't getting much out of it, although she would seem satisfied afterwards.

She's pooping by herself - usually at unexpected times. Like after her early morning feeding today, when I was laying down in bed with her in the crook of my arm. I didn't realize I had poop on me until I got up later and saw it on the sleeve of my sweatshirt.

She can get off the hot water bottle now in the box she's in but doesn't seem to want to; she still spends her time on it, next to her dinosaur.

No pictures yesterday. I got busy trying to get some stuff done; I felt very busy all day but all I really accomplished was to get my asparagus planted and a spot ready for the cabbage plants that are ready to go in. Most of my time was spent chasing two little juvenile delinquent goats away from my plants.

I'm going to town today and will pick up a wind-up clock.

Last edited by Cinebar; 05-29-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
yeah...unfortunately there's no real good way to test if she's thinking baby...or squirrel!

I think my Robin would be a great auntie cat. If she hears baby kittens on the TV she runs around looking for them. She doesn't do that for any other animal sounds. She'll check behind the TV. It makes me wonder if she ever had a litter before she came to us.
It disturbed me & surprised me one time, when i went into the shed & my mama mountain cat was eating one of her babies. I don't know if the kitten was dead or alive, when she started eating it. ...

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM

41,943 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Glad the little one is still doing well!

Quote:
Most of my time was spent chasing two little juvenile delinquent goats away from my plants.
I don't imagine that goats cotton much to a time-out, LOL.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I love hearing the updates! What will we do when she gets bigger and we don't have the story to check every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats