U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 AM

157 posts, read 459,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Aaaaand no sooner did I type that last post than I went into my room and offered her tuna again - she ate! A few nibbles only but still, she ate! YAY!!

Thanks everyone for your help! I will let you all know how she does with integration into our crazy but awesome family once she is fully recovered and ready to be introduced.
oh that is great news she is eating...wonderful. Only don't over do the tuna..not good for cats b/c of the high mercury content, but to get her started is great... she is a lovely girl, she just looks so content.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 6,315,561 times
Thank you so much for helping this kitty...she looks like a sweetheart!
I'm glad she ate some tuna, that should get her appetite going...you could also try mixing pate-style canned food with some warm water and make a "gruel", since she's drinking well she might be more inclined to eat if it's in a more liquid-y form? For stinky food, one of the "big guns" I pull out if one of my cats pulls the "I'm not gonna eat" thing is Fancy Feast, a.k.a. "kitty crack" ! I've met very few cats who can resist FF, (the classic formulas are healthier than the other types). Fussie cat and Weruva both have some pretty stinky fish-based foods and they seem to love those as well.
I wish you the best of luck with this new cutiepie, and thank you again for being her savior!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,416,146 times
And just look at her, a proper lady even after all she went through!

Killabunnies....she is BEAUTIFUL - so dainty, and her coloring is perfect. She is looking directly into your eyes and I think she absolutely knows you are in her corner and she has found a good thing. It's like you two were meant to be together. I am sooooo happy for both of you - and I am grateful she is eating well. Time is a marvelous healer - and now she has plenty of it. Helping an animal in need is its own reward....

Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,899,806 times
Quote:
SOOOO I drove 10 hours yesterday to rescue a cat in New York scheduled to die Friday morning. A local rescue was willing to take her but completely maxed out, not a bathroom to spare in the entire city. I knew I had to do something - when I found out she survived the Friday morning death squad I was overjoyed (the rescue begged to give her just one more day so they could find someone to at least foster her) and arranged with the rescue to pick her up yesterday. She was a perfect lady on the drive back to DC and is doing well.

That said, she has a pretty bad URI (which is how she ended up on the euth list in the first place). I tried feeding her last night when we got home and again this morning but she won't touch anything. She is playing, drinking water and otherwise doing well, just really congested.

I read online to try a "stinkier" food since she's too stuffed up to smell anything but what exactly is stinky food?? She would not eat Avoderm or Nutro Natural Choice (wet) and has not touched the kibble. There are no shelter notes to indicate if she was eating before, it could be that she is just stressed out from the whole thing too (she was in there for about 2 weeks). But if it is because the URI, I would like to try something she might eat - any ideas?
Why don't you try letting her digestive system rest? There is a great recipe for Super Strength Chicken broth or something to that effect in Anitra FRazier's book that I give to my cat time to time. You basically get an organic chicken. Dismember it. Put the pieces in a sauce pan. (For less of a project, just buy pieces ie wings, thighs, drumsticks with skin and bones). Cover them with water and boil, then simmer for hours adding water as needed. Drain broth into a separate bowl. When chicken is cool enough; squeeze out remaining liquid from chicken and add to broth bowl and discard meat. Break up remaining bones into small pieces and put in another small sauce pan; cover with water and a couple tablespoons (if I recall correctly) of tomato juice. Boil and then simmer this for a half hour to an hour adding water if needed simmer this for a half hour or more (can't recall). Then add this to the other broth. Fortify the broth with Vitamin C so that with each serving they get about 200 mgs. You can get the recipe from the book on Amazon. The book is The New Natural Cat. Her newer one probably has it too. Just look for chicken broth or chicken soup recipes.

It turns into a jellied consume and my cat loves it. It is ok to give them as much as they want. Use it in place of solid food for a few days for fasting. It is great for cats with urinary tract issues too. When they go back on food, I give my cat finely grated fresh raw organic carrot mixed into his food or grated zucchini to help with constipation if that is an issue. To get it really fine, I sometimes use a zester. You can make big batches and store them in containers and defrost when needed. I also give chelated magnesium (about 1/4 the human dose for helping with elimination and overall health; joint pain if any).

Last edited by emilybh; 05-29-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,899,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Canned mackerel also smells strong. But it sounds like stress is adding to this cat's lack of appetite. Stress, a changed environment and fear can make a cat lose it's appetite.

Since your kitty is playing and drinking, it sounds like she will be OK.
Yes. I wouldn't worry then. Maybe she is very finicky and addicted to junk food. If you know what the food was, I'd definitely not continue to give it to her straight. I'd add in some better quality food and with each meal increasing the proportions of good quality to poor quality until she is up to eating all quality food.

The other thing is I would n't panic if she goes a day or two without eating. Sometimes animals just instinctively know when they need to fast.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM

585 posts, read 1,544,452 times
Oh she is much better now, started eating Monday morning (I rescued her Saturday) and is now doing FANTASTIC. She looks a thousand times better, her congestion is all but gone and she is only sneezing a little bit. We got an all-clear from our vet this morning and she is already starting trouble trying to bust out of my bedroom - she can't wait to meet the family and have some fun now that the worst is behind her. She created a scene at the vet carrying on and parading around as if to say "check out how pretty I am" and stretching out for belly rubs, I have a little diva on my hands

I offered her the Avoderm my other cats get tonight and she gobbled it up. The vet says she is a little dehydrated but she was drinking A LOT of water from the moment I brought her home so who knows if that started in the shelter or what happened to her before she was dumped there. Vet is not so worried about it since she has been drinking.

Either way, she has made a miraculous recovery and is doing great. She was already beautiful even with her crusty eyes and snotty nose but wow is she pretty now that she's on the road to recovery. She's spunky, playful and talkative... it's really been awesome to see how quickly she healed up.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 AM

5,877 posts, read 11,771,032 times
Congratulations on the rescue. Sounds like she's found herself a happy loving home, forever. I'm so glad. She's a beautiful little girl.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 259 times
Quote:
SOOOO I drove 10 hours yesterday to rescue a cat in New York scheduled to die Friday morning. A local rescue was willing to take her but completely maxed out, not a bathroom to spare in the entire city. I knew I had to do something - when I found out she survived the Friday morning death squad I was overjoyed (the rescue begged to give her just one more day so they could find someone to at least foster her) and arranged with the rescue to pick her up yesterday. She was a perfect lady on the drive back to DC and is doing well.

That said, she has a pretty bad URI (which is how she ended up on the euth list in the first place). I tried feeding her last night when we got home and again this morning but she won't touch anything. She is playing, drinking water and otherwise doing well, just really congested.

I read online to try a "stinkier" food since she's too stuffed up to smell anything but what exactly is stinky food?? She would not eat Avoderm or Nutro Natural Choice (wet) and has not touched the kibble. There are no shelter notes to indicate if she was eating before, it could be that she is just stressed out from the whole thing too (she was in there for about 2 weeks). But if it is because the URI, I would like to try something she might eat - any ideas?

What I was told by my Vet when my Cat was having
this issue was to put there food in the microwave for a few seconds, by heating
it - it smells a lot more!! just make sure its not HOT (also they have special
wet food that my Vet gave me also- but regular canned cat food heated will help them smell it
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or