U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 AM

585 posts, read 1,541,363 times

Advertisements

SOOOO I drove 10 hours yesterday to rescue a cat in New York scheduled to die Friday morning. A local rescue was willing to take her but completely maxed out, not a bathroom to spare in the entire city. I knew I had to do something - when I found out she survived the Friday morning death squad I was overjoyed (the rescue begged to give her just one more day so they could find someone to at least foster her) and arranged with the rescue to pick her up yesterday. She was a perfect lady on the drive back to DC and is doing well.

That said, she has a pretty bad URI (which is how she ended up on the euth list in the first place). I tried feeding her last night when we got home and again this morning but she won't touch anything. She is playing, drinking water and otherwise doing well, just really congested.

I read online to try a "stinkier" food since she's too stuffed up to smell anything but what exactly is stinky food?? She would not eat Avoderm or Nutro Natural Choice (wet) and has not touched the kibble. There are no shelter notes to indicate if she was eating before, it could be that she is just stressed out from the whole thing too (she was in there for about 2 weeks). But if it is because the URI, I would like to try something she might eat - any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:51 AM

3,634 posts, read 9,229,895 times
We always start with human chicken baby food. Also tried the ham and it was a success. It is what we force feed when they wont eat. Some cats like tuna and some like deli chicken or turkey. All a matter of trial and error.

Vet will have what I call canned recovery food. High in calories and very desireable by all my cats.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM

I had the idea to mash something up - baby food sounds like an awesome idea. And duh, tuna didn't even cross my mind. That's definitely stinky!

I'll grab some baby food and see if she's interested. At this point I don't think I need to force feed her but if she still doesn't eat today, I might have to.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Canned mackerel also smells strong. But it sounds like stress is adding to this cat's lack of appetite. Stress, a changed environment and fear can make a cat lose it's appetite.

Since your kitty is playing and drinking, it sounds like she will be OK.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,408,554 times
Default Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
SOOOO I drove 10 hours yesterday to rescue a cat in New York scheduled to die Friday morning. A local rescue was willing to take her but completely maxed out, not a bathroom to spare in the entire city. I knew I had to do something - when I found out she survived the Friday morning death squad I was overjoyed (the rescue begged to give her just one more day so they could find someone to at least foster her) and arranged with the rescue to pick her up yesterday. She was a perfect lady on the drive back to DC and is doing well.

That said, she has a pretty bad URI (which is how she ended up on the euth list in the first place). I tried feeding her last night when we got home and again this morning but she won't touch anything. She is playing, drinking water and otherwise doing well, just really congested.

I read online to try a "stinkier" food since she's too stuffed up to smell anything but what exactly is stinky food?? She would not eat Avoderm or Nutro Natural Choice (wet) and has not touched the kibble. There are no shelter notes to indicate if she was eating before, it could be that she is just stressed out from the whole thing too (she was in there for about 2 weeks). But if it is because the URI, I would like to try something she might eat - any ideas?
For making such an effort to save this little kitty from being killed (because of a UTI?) Driving 10 hours to bring her home like that -you have a tremendous heart on you!! I am so happy that she found you! If she is drinking that is a very good sign, and she is no doubt stressed out to the max and probably tired too. I agree with the others with the stinky food - tuna in oil, even sardines might work, or canned salmon. With this being a holiday weekend you may not be able to get her into a vet until Tuesday. If she seems like she is gasping for air or having difficulty breathing - I would head to the nearest Animal ER - that won't wait till Tuesday. Her UTI may stem from unsanitary litter box conditions where she was and she was holding it in (so to speak!). I hope you two continue to bond and she can just relax, rest up, play, eat, explore, and get more smoochies than she knows what to do with. Are you going to rehome her or keep her? Keep up posted on her progress and I again thank you for helping her - she will be your new best friend!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
For making such an effort to save this little kitty from being killed (because of a UTI?) Driving 10 hours to bring her home like that -you have a tremendous heart on you!! I am so happy that she found you! If she is drinking that is a very good sign, and she is no doubt stressed out to the max and probably tired too. I agree with the others with the stinky food - tuna in oil, even sardines might work, or canned salmon. With this being a holiday weekend you may not be able to get her into a vet until Tuesday. If she seems like she is gasping for air or having difficulty breathing - I would head to the nearest Animal ER - that won't wait till Tuesday. Her UTI may stem from unsanitary litter box conditions where she was and she was holding it in (so to speak!). I hope you two continue to bond and she can just relax, rest up, play, eat, explore, and get more smoochies than she knows what to do with. Are you going to rehome her or keep her? Keep up posted on her progress and I again thank you for helping her - she will be your new best friend!!!
Thank you! And yes, the URI was her death sentence. She and 8 others were - wait for this - dumped at the high kill shelter by A VET. I believe 2 or 3 of them did not make it, everyone else was either rescued or adopted except for 1, who is not on the euth list yet but will surely be there any day now unless he gets a miracle.

She has made a miraculous turn-around from the snotty, crusty-eyed little thing I picked up just one day ago so I'm not too worried about not being able to get into the vet right away, her breathing seems good and getting better. I'm prepared to run her to the animal ER if that changes but so far so good.

It is unbelievable that this so-called "shelter" gets away with what it does. I realize part of the problem is overpopulation but it's like they don't even give these animals a chance. The conditions are deplorable. When I got her, her tail was matted and crusty with bits of paper (PAPER! WTH!) and who knows what else stuck to it. I've brushed her out and given her multiple rub downs with the Pethead wipes but her front paws are still terribly matted. That said, she's still in great spirits and incredibly affectionate despite being betrayed by humans and suffering through two weeks in that horrible place.

I grabbed sardines, mackerel, salmon, tuna and chicken - she's still not interested. The "vet" did not have the courtesy to inform the shelter what she was eating so no one knows. It's beginning to look more stress-related since she has started sniffing my hand which she wasn't doing yesterday, that leads me to believe she can smell better now than she could then. She is not showing any of the usual signs of move-related stress like hiding (she will hide under my bed when I'm not there but pops right out when I call her) but after what she's been through, it makes sense.

Hopefully I can get her in to our vet on Tuesday.

I committed to fostering but also left it open with the rescue before I even met her, they wanted me to keep her all along but I did not want to commit to something I was unsure of at that point, the important thing was to get her out of there and figure the rest out later. As I suspected, it would be pretty difficult to let her go after all we've been through together these last few days.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,794 times
I've dealt with bad URI's with several foster cats and I've learned a few tricks along the way. As far as food goes Fancy Feast with some fish or seafood flavor warmed up a few seconds in the microwave often does the trick. Tuna and baby food warmed up works too. It shouldn't be hot, just warm. When warmed up it smells more. Cats won't eat if they can't smell the food so fixing that issue is number one.
If she is drinking you could try to get her to drink kitten formula. That will give her essential nutrition in liquid form. Another thing I do when a cat is not eating enough is to force feed them some Nutrical or comparable generic like Fortical. Some cats will eat it on their own but most won't. So what you do is to put it in a large syringe and squeeze it in in the corner of the kitty's mouth. You can get a 5cc/ml oral syringe at Walgreens. Nutrical is really thick so to get it into the syringe you have to remove the plunger and squirt the Nutrical into the back of the syringe and then re-insert the plunger. If it comes down to it and the cat won't eat at all you can also mix some pate style cat food with some kitten formula and put the mix in the syringe and squirt it into kitty's mouth.

There are also things you can do to help the stuffy nose. You can use children's nose drops/spray and also remove some of the mucus in the nose with a bulb syringe. You can buy these things together. The brand name is Little Noses.
The best thing though, imo, is to make a homemade breathing treatment. You get a warm steam vaporizer and some Vicks Vapor Drops (important). Put the cat in a carrier, put the carrier under the kitchen table on top of some boxes or something to elevate it, then put the vaporizer below it on the floor so that the vapors go directly into the carrier, just not so close to where it it will get too hot for the cat. You could also put the carrier in a chair and the vaporizer below and/or make a little tent with a blanket to guide the vapors to the cat. Just make sure there are sufficient openings in the "tent" for the steam to escape and not get built up. Leave the cat there for about 30 minutes, or more of the cat is okay with it, and do this several times a day. If you don't have a carrier you can sit and hold the cat during the breathing treatment instead. You can try feeding the cat right after.
This really works even with cats who are really stuffed up. I've had cats that have refused to eat for days that start to eat right after a breathing treatment. The vapors and menthol help open the airways and makes the cat feel better.
At night you can put the cat in the bathroom or another small room with the vaporizer.

Another thing that really helps URI is L-Lysine. It helps boost the immune system and is believed to break down the feline herpes virus which is the most common cause of URI in cats. You should give 250mg in the morning and 250mg in the evening. You can get capsules at Whole Foods that you can just open up and mix in with the food or something. If you can't find capsules you can get pills and crush them.

Good luck with the kitty and thank you for saving her!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:45 AM

157 posts, read 458,173 times
I too think you are a wonderful big hearted person to do this for this little one Killabunnies. Litzita had some very good suggestions to help clear her up a bit, L-lysine is an excellent amino acid for the immune system.
I would like to add STINGING NETTLES herb also, this will help clear the congestion and is much safer to use than benadryl or similar products. but you do need to be causious abt which brand of supplements you use for safety with cats. mustn't contain the additives that most people can use, such as sugar/wheat/soy/gluten/artificial colors or preservatives for some.

I will include a link to the best Stinging Nettles avail. if you can find this locally that would be great too. Natures Way 435 mg capsules or Solarary Organic Nettle Leaves 450mg caps.
a 9-10 lb. cat can initially have up to 1000mg per day as symptoms improve cut back to 500mg. for chronic long term use 250-500mgs.
Nature's Way, Nettle Leaf, 435 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com

this is one of the best L-lysine brands available for kitties
Carlson Labs, L-Lysine, Amino Acid Powder, 100 g - iHerb.com

good luck

Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricats View Post
I too think you are a wonderful big hearted person to do this for this little one Killabunnies. Litzita had some very good suggestions to help clear her up a bit, L-lysine is an excellent amino acid for the immune system.
I would like to add STINGING NETTLES herb also, this will help clear the congestion and is much safer to use than benadryl or similar products. but you do need to be causious abt which brand of supplements you use for safety with cats. mustn't contain the additives that most people can use, such as sugar/wheat/soy/gluten/artificial colors or preservatives for some.

I will include a link to the best Stinging Nettles avail. if you can find this locally that would be great too. Natures Way 435 mg capsules or Solarary Organic Nettle Leaves 450mg caps.
a 9-10 lb. cat can initially have up to 1000mg per day as symptoms improve cut back to 500mg. for chronic long term use 250-500mgs.
Nature's Way, Nettle Leaf, 435 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com

this is one of the best L-lysine brands available for kitties
Carlson Labs, L-Lysine, Amino Acid Powder, 100 g - iHerb.com

good luck
Perfect, thank you! I do have Lysine on hand so I did crush one up last night and mash it in some watered down wet food, she is still not eating but she is a good girl with taking medicine so that worked fine. I will order some of that other stuff you linked to though, I am probably going to want to dose everyone (I have three not including rescue cat - two 1 year olds and a frail 15 year old, she's the one I'm most worried about coming down with something once rescue cat is ready to come out of quarantine).

I am familiar with stinging nettle as it came through for me once when "modern medicine" failed me, I had no idea it could also help cats. Will do some more research there and probably grab some, I have a medicine cabinet full of my own herbs so I know of a good place locally to grab the good stuff. She's very petite (shelter said they thought she was 3 but no one knows since the vet who dumped her couldn't even be bothered to give the shelter any information about her) and 8 pounds so I will have to be careful with the dose.

She is doing MUCH better today, you wouldn't even know she was so sick compared to how she was when I picked her up just two days ago. Her one eye is still a little raw but she is no longer sneezing or coughing. Now I just need to run out and get a vaporizer!

I am really glad I did this, this cat deserves nothing but a lifetime of happiness. No cat deserves to die alone and unwanted in the euth room but this cat especially... she purrs if you just look at her, slept curled up against my stomach her first night home and just stares up at me like she can't believe I'm real.

And just look at her, a proper lady even after all she went through!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Aaaaand no sooner did I type that last post than I went into my room and offered her tuna again - she ate! A few nibbles only but still, she ate! YAY!!

Thanks everyone for your help! I will let you all know how she does with integration into our crazy but awesome family once she is fully recovered and ready to be introduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or