Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times

Advertisements

The shelter has a litter of kittens that were thrown over the fence when they were about 3 weeks old. We luckily had a female cat due to have kittens very soon that we were 'kitty sitting' for the city shelter. They've been here 3 weeks and done great and just went to a foster home over the weekend.

One of the kittens is a manx with no tail at all - not even a stub. The foster mom called me today and said that the little manx guy seems to have poo problems. He goes potty just fine but it seems to get stuck to his butt. She's been keeping it cleaned off. Apparently mom didn't do such a great job so he was a bit red and irritated. She's got him cleaned up and is putting some antibiotic ointment on it for him and in a couple days he's improved.

I"ll call the vet but the county doesn't have funding for vet bills and our vet is................well, he likes to be paid if he does anything. So I'm not sure we can get him in there. In the meantime is there anything anyone can think of that may help? I've read manx have common problems with this because of their shortened spine and that most of the time they outgrow it. Is there a food that will help, maybe increasing the fiber he eats or anything? Any thoughts?

A picture of little Socks is attached. Forgive my messy jeans. They'd just finished their canned food and they're not real neat eaters!
Attached Thumbnails
Manx kitty - poo problems-socks.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Every once ina while poop would stick to the fur hair's of my Manx pal. I just removed it with a tissue. No problema.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,058 times
What a gorgeous boy he is!
I think if the area is consistently cleaned by the human mamma, kitty will eventually understand that he's supposed to clean that area himself. One of my cats (a Maine coon mix) would get poo stuck to his bottom when he was little, I would clean it off and after awhile he just started doing it himself.

As for the redness and irritation, both virgin coconut oil and fresh aloe would be soothing and healing for him...(there are topical aloe gels available, but the gel straight from the leaf of the plant is much better if it's available!)

Thank you for coming to the rescue of these precious babies...you are always doing so much to help the dogs and cats of this world, and from the bottom of my heart, I thank you!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
How wonderful that someone CARES about this little kitten. All I can suggest is to keep his little butt clean until the irritation is gone. I'm assuming he doesn't have diarrhea.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,341 times
Is his poo soft and that's why it's getting stuck to him? He might need a change of food.

You can also shave the area so it's easier to keep things cleaner

Old 03-26-2017, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,567 times
I have a Max cat that is 8 months old and she has begun to have problems with have caked poo on her I took her to the vets the first time and they cleaned and gave me antibiotics to place on her bottom. but it continues to happen. I try to keep her clean but she is tearing me up now each time. It is happening almost daily. Any suggestions?
Karendpillsbury

Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karendpillsbury View Post
I have a Max cat that is 8 months old and she has begun to have problems with have caked poo on her I took her to the vets the first time and they cleaned and gave me antibiotics to place on her bottom. but it continues to happen. I try to keep her clean but she is tearing me up now each time. It is happening almost daily. Any suggestions?
Karendpillsbury
Sounds like she's having awfully mushy poops. What's her diet?

One thing that would help a lot is put her on a raw diet. Raw fed cats have very little waste, because their body uses most of what they eat, so she'll only be pooping every 2-3 days. And the stool will be firm, not likely to cake at all.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karendpillsbury View Post
Karendpillsbury
The vet gave you an external antibiotic for her bottom? If so, they're not treating the likely problem. It's likely being caused by parasites (worms), bacterial imbalance in the gut, an infection of some sort, etc. As Catsmom said, it could also be diet related... something in the food she's sensitive to, or that doesn't agree with her. Whatever is going on, the problem is internal, not external. You might want to find another vet for a second opinion. Don't delay, as dehydration can quickly become a problem with diarrhea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats