Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Last Thursday we had to put our one kitty to sleep. She was 14, had several ailments and it made no sense to extend her life. Now her sister (not really her sister, but we got them just a few months apart) won't eat, she cries all night, which isn't like her and she seems to be getting really weak. We are beside ourselves. Losing one was bad enough, especially for my husband, but now seeing the second little girl suffering is driving us crazy. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Absolutely. I would imagine anybody on this forum who has ever had a left behind kitty can tell a story about a cat grieving. I had a cat who paced up and down the front walk while her buddy was dying in the basement. When he finally died, she moaned and cried for days. It was heartbreaking.

Give your little kitty extra love and kisses. Give her some time but if she doesn't eat soon take her to the vet. You do not want her to get dehydrated or starve herself but cats have been known to mourn for months when a feline buddy or human dies. I'm really sorry for your loss. Google grieving in cats and see what comes up. it is not unusual at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM

41,954 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I'm so sad for you about your cat. Your other cat misses her sister. Give her lots of love and attention.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
It is normal, but heartbreaking for the owner. Mine was so bad that the vet was threatening to put him on an IV. But we did get him eating, so all was good. My vet advised kitty snacks that I knew he would eat to get his appetite stimulated. My cat was ADDICTED to chicken nuggets from McDOnalds. I know this because he would TAKE them from us if we didn't guard them. So the vet suggested little pieces of nugget to help stimulate the appetite. It worked.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I am sad for you and family and the left-behind cat...

And yes, similar occurrences here with the siblings left behind. My last 18 yr old died and his sister literally had an immediate personality change...being an elderly feline did not help her any either.

It tooks months for her to get over his loss...I spend a LOT of extra time with her, gave her treats and etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I always get another one fast. It helps distract me and the remaining animals. It is also a sign of respect that I loved them so much I don't want to be without someone else.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I totally understand this. I had to put 2 of my old girls to sleep in a 6 week period and my remaining girl was thrown totally off course. She has adjusted somewhat but I am getting her a buddy next week.
They do feel the loss for sure. I'm sorry your kitty is gone.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I always get another one fast. It helps distract me and the remaining animals. It is also a sign of respect that I loved them so much I don't want to be without someone else.

I agree. I know to each his own but I always felt that it never takes away my love or memories of my pet that passed just because I get another one soon after. I loved them and I know I want to love another and give it a good home too.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. yes, they sure can grieve. A friend adopted 2 cats when a mutual friend passed away.. one adapted well, but the other had a terrible time. They had to medicate him for a while to get him through it. Pilot is ok, now, but he was a sad kitty and didn't understand why his daddy was gone and he had to move. And if there was a strong bond between the two cats, they can grieve just as much for that passing as well. Lots of hugs and love, and if necessary, talk to your vet for a suggestion.

getting a new kitten may help, but it's tough to say whether your remaining one will accept it right off.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
One of my youngest passed on to summerland today. She was always a kitty that was mellow, but more than that she was never overly active. When she got so lethargic she didn't seem unusual.

She'd barely moved all day, and I took her to bed with me and she held onto me. She wouldn't leave. By morning she wasn't trying to get up, and I put her on her favorite spot to take care of the others. I called the vet to get into have her seen, but she couldn't stand, wasn't trying to move. She passed on the way to the vet.

That night, the others all came to sit in the bedroom. They just all seem to be laying near me tonight. They don't seem surprised she didn't come home. I think they knew. But the vet said it could be fleas, with the way the infestations are so bad. I powered her, but with her dense fur and the way the flea comb wouldn't go through it, it could have been her tipping point. She had a bad eye she didn't seem to see through so maybe there were other things too. I feel so sad, but the family seems sad too.

But please, if the fleas are bad keep at it. My very short haired dog with a flea attraction was easy to tell, but a thinckly furred cat is hard. I didn't seem many on her but as she was leaving us maybe they left.

Comfortis is working for the dogs and they do have a formula for cats, vet told me. That little extra could keep your babies healthy and alive.

Keep good thoughts for little Fizzles who left us way too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats