Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I have a dilema. Do you think it is kinder to continue to feed a semi ferral cat who will face yet another freezing cold winter outside, or capture him and take him to a shelter? Unless someone at the shelter worked with him he would most likely never be adoptable and would no doubt be destroyed.
My first choice is to take him to a no kill shelter, but if this doesn't work out, which option do you think would be best?
I have two cats already and keeping him inside is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
I live in the country. I have feral/woodpile cats that have been outside for years. I put out food every day and in the winter I use a heated water dish. I buy straw to put in my cat house. Dont use blankets they hold dampness. When it gets really cold I put in a troube light for extra heat. So far I havent lost any to the cold.

Other cats just go under the house in the crawl space under the house and seem to do fine there.

Not sure if this is right thing but its what I do. I figure if I was a cat Id rather take my chances than be put to sleep.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Tough call. If you live somewhere where it is just bitter cold, I think I might vote for capturing and taking it to a shelter.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I live in the country. I have feral/woodpile cats that have been outside for years. I put out food every day and in the winter I use a heated water dish. I buy straw to put in my cat house. Dont use blankets they hold dampness. When it gets really cold I put in a troube light for extra heat. So far I havent lost any to the cold.

Other cats just go under the house in the crawl space under the house and seem to do fine there.

Not sure if this is right thing but its what I do. I figure if I was a cat Id rather take my chances than be put to sleep.
I agree with Cecilia -- especially if the cat seems to be doing ok so far.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
My feeling are do not worry the cat should be ok...please capture it and make it a it! basicly get the cat spayed....

Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I say leave them out in the wild.

I know a trapper in the bitter north that uses storage containers with straw for winter shelters for the colonies she looks after. She cuts a entrance hole on one end of the side (so they can get in the back out of the wind) and I would suggest you wrap them in old blankets on the outside(for insluation) and put the whole thing in a big garbage bag to protect against the wet weather. I did that and used duct tap to hold everything in place.

To get old blankets, just tell cat lovers what you are doing and that you need old blankets, I find they are more than willing to help such a cause.

Keep them fed and give them shelter and they should be fine, other than what unexpected things nature throws in their way.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM

98 posts, read 454,094 times
Taking a feral cat to a shelter is a death sentence, at least outside he/she has a fighting chance. Even at a no kill shelter, it could likely never be adopted and the cat may spend its life fear stricken and/or go insane.

Alley Cat Allies (broken link) is a fantastic website with information on how to care for feral cats, how to prepare them for winter, capturing them for spay/neuter, etc.

If you do not have a structure for the cat to go inside during winter (garage, barn, shed, etc) there are instructions on the website I posted for making a cat shelter.

Personally, I take care of quite a few feral cats and have never lost one to winter (in northern IL.) But I allow them into a building, have bedding for them, a heated water bowl, and I also keep a heat lamp on for them when it gets very cold.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Absolutely have the cat spayed/neutered and given basic shots! Then bring it home and leave it where it's happy and continue doing what you're doing. I've been doing this for years in the Virgin Islands. Cheers!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
There is no way a shelter will be able to tame a cat like this and doubt they would even try as it would be dangerous to do so. It is also unlikely they will be able to handle the cat to give it shots or spay it, although it would be good if it were spay/neutered. It has a better chance in the wild. These cats are pretty tough.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
"It is also unlikly that they will be able to handle the cat to give it shots or spay it." Sorry, but you're wrong. There are feral spay/neuter, catch/release programs all over the world and the veterinarians sedate the animals first before the procedures. Yes, cats are tough, but un-neutered animals only add to the feral population and perpetuate the problem. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats