Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:38 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times

Advertisements

I have a very sad story, and I warn you all, my fellow cat lovers, it is a story that will probably make your blood boil .

My BF's family's outdoor cat, Ebony, was pretty much ignored most of the time...they'd feed her a couple of times a day, pet her while walking into and out of the house, let her in during inclement weather, but that's about it.

Apparently, she stopped eating TWO DAYS AGO, but no one worried or gave a crap.
Last night, someone finally realized she was extremely lethargic, and upon a closer look, saw the blood in her mouth. We got the call around 11pm that they had brought her in, so my BF and I rushed right down to make sure they wouldn't get cheap about getting her the treatment she needed, because yes, they are cheapskates even though they have plenty of money.

Her entire mouth was burned and ulcerated, she was severely dehydrated, her glucose was dangerously low, and she could barely move on her own. They believe she was poisoned. They had her on oxygen and fluids all night, but she was unresponsive...she didn't make it.

How in the world could they not notice? Not care when they know their cat isn't eating? Isn't moving around? Isn't asking for scritches and kisses like she usually does? Because they're negligent jerks, that's how...these are people who decide to go to their cabin 2 hours away for 3 or 4 days without even making arrangements for someone to feed the cat and the poor dog they keep fenced outside 24/7 who ALSO gets no attention whatsoever. If it weren't for the fact that my BF and I always go check on them/feed them of our OWN volition when they take off like that, both those animals would have been dead years ago. When we asked them one time "Who's going to feed your animals while you're away?" their response was "They can go a few days without being fed, as long as they have water." Unbelievable .

Granted, most people are not this bad when it comes to their pets, but it got me thinking about how many times owners might dismiss "off" behavior as nothing to worry about or, worse, be too wrapped up in other things to notice when something's not right. Especially cats, with their compensatory skills in times of duress and their ability to mask illness and/or pain until it gets really bad. Paying attention to subtle changes can really make all the difference in the world.

RIP Ebony .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
That is a sad story, I often wonder what makes the difference between someone who adores animals and those who don't really care. I live rural and see neglected animals all the time, injured dogs that belong to someone but run loose, get hit by cars, limp around, dogs chained to outside coups that are thin, sad and unloved, and I could go on. I've only recently had indoor cats, both rescues, and can't believe how attached I've become, if I notice a hair out of place I get concerned, if they sneeze or cough I'm on it, I spend boo hoo bucks on the best food, water fountains, toys, condos, you name it, I'm a bit crazed I think. But I love those "girls" and they love me, our vacation time has gone down because we can't take them with, and don't want to kennel them or have them be alone with a pet sitter stopping by once a day and I'm OK with it, who is OK with less vacation?!! I look forward to seeing them every night when I go home from work [more than my SO (shhh)] and they are such beautiful, interesting creatures. I can't watch the commercials on TV for pet shelters where they show abused animals and play sad music because animals are so innocent and so undeserving of abuse and/or neglect. I can't visit shelters because I'll adopt again. I'm very sorry about your cat story, sounds like she really suffered but thanks for giving her a fighting chance by vet care. She's at peace now, no more suffering.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
That is a sad story, I often wonder what makes the difference between someone who adores animals and those who don't really care.
I wonder about this too...must be a genetic defect in those who don't care about innocent life, whether it's animal or human. I try to have compassion for people like this because I know they're missing out on something so amazing and precious, the unconditional love that happens when we bond with and nurture the innocent...but it's hard to find that compassion sometimes, I have to dig REALLY deep, and right now I have zero compassion for these people because I'm just so upset she had to suffer that way.

Quote:
I've only recently had indoor cats, both rescues, and can't believe how attached I've become, if I notice a hair out of place I get concerned, if they sneeze or cough I'm on it, I spend boo hoo bucks on the best food, water fountains, toys, condos, you name it, I'm a bit crazed I think. But I love those "girls" and they love me, our vacation time has gone down because we can't take them with, and don't want to kennel them or have them be alone with a pet sitter stopping by once a day and I'm OK with it, who is OK with less vacation?!! I look forward to seeing them every night when I go home from work [more than my SO (shhh)] and they are such beautiful, interesting creatures.
I'm a bit crazed, too ...that's a good thing! LOL!
I never go out of town for more than 5 days at a time, and my mom and I always have each others' back as far as our animals go, thankfully! She's even more fanatical than I am, and I know they have a great time with her because they're always happy, calm and slightly plumper upon my return .

Quote:
I'm very sorry about your cat story, sounds like she really suffered but thanks for giving her a fighting chance by vet care. She's at peace now, no more suffering.
Thank you. I'm glad she's at peace now, I did a little prayer session awhile ago and told her spirit to find Ollie and Zoey at the rainbow bridge and let them show her around . I'm not nearly as sad at the idea of "death" as I am at the suffering creatures must endure while here, I know the spirit world is only a dimension away, and we are always still connected to those who have left this reality and moved on to the next.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Poor Ebony. People can be horrible. Some people shouldn't have pets.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Is it wrong of me to think these people should be put outside and not have anyone notice they are not eating for 2 days?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Is it wrong of me to think these people should be put outside and not have anyone notice they are not eating for 2 days?
We were livid when they said that...my BF really went off on them, asked them how they'd like it if they couldn't eat for a few days, and then told them they don't deserve to have animals in their lives because they obviously don't appreciate them or take care of them properly.

Here's another little tidbit...his dad now got a DUCK, of all things. He was getting feed for their cockatiels when a duckling fell out of the truck (there was a truckful of them being delivered), and he landed right in his hands, which most likely saved his life because it was a pretty long fall for a little duck. The guy working at the time was so impressed by the "save", he gave him the duckling, and he accepted it even though they have NOWHERE to keep it .
They put it in the greenhouse area with the turtles, and of course the turtles tried to eat him because they eat MEAT and probably thought he was dinner .
But he was free, so how could he not accept the duckling? (That was his dad's response when asked WHY he accepted a creature they have no proper place for.)
Clearly, they see animals as cute but disposable playthings instead of sentient beings with rights .
Geez !

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Leaving the animals without food for a few days? I might consider getting animal control in on that one to report animal neglect and abandonment. The only way stupid morons that these will learn is if they are fined and the animals taken away from them. You can't aruge with stupid.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Rest In Peace Dear Ebony.....You are now warm & safe playing in the Sun with other friends by the bridge, with plenty of good food & water.

The Grants Pass HS takes good care of the kitties & doogies in their care. Kitties even have a kitty hotel. Do you see the long orange tail at upper right.

& tux kitty is in the bed in front...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam

Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Rest In Peace Dear Ebony.....You are now warm & safe playing in the Sun with other friends by the bridge, with plenty of good food & water.

The Grants Pass HS takes good care of the kitties & doogies in their care. Kitties even have a kitty hotel. Do you see the long orange tail at upper right.

& tux kitty is in the bed in front...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam
And in such a better place than with those horrible people. And Ebony is at the Bridge with my William...he was a great guy and will make sure Ebony is happy.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
I've told my girls they can never leave me because I'll never survive. I've gotten over the passing of 5 dogs during my life, but my girls must never pass on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats