Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times

Advertisements

For about the last 6 weeks, there has been a cat hanging out in the area where I work. I saw the cat every day and noticed this week she was VERY pregnant. I had her trapped, and a stray cat organization had her spayed today. I will pick her up tomorrow to release back where she seems to "live."

She doesn't seem feral. She wasn't all that upset in the trap. Just meowed all the way to the home of one of the organization's volunteers. No hissing, scratching, anything. I suspect she was someone's pet who was either dumped or simply lost.

Here's what's bothering me: I wish I didn't have to let her loose, since it seems to me she isn't feral. She didn't look sickly when I caught her, just a little dirty. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick her up.

I think I need some reassurance in letting her loose to be on her own. I have never done this before. Would it be unwise to start feeding her? I suspect she's been catching small animals. My work will be leaving the building in 6 weeks, so I won't be around to continue doing so.

What is the right thing to do? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Any room for one more - ? I know you cant take them all but maybe posting a sign at your work place or advertising her might help get her a home, the more you know about her the better, it sounds like she deserves a chance and is very adoptable now that she's spayed and friendly.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 PM

We'll be testing her tomorrow to see if she'll let us approach/touch her.

As for me taking her in, I hate to say it, but I can't. I only have a small 1bed/1bath condo with 5 dogs currently, of which 4 are special needs. It would be just too much for me.

Also, just got an update on her... she was carrying 9 kittens. NINE!!!! I had no idea cats were capable of carrying that many. She still had 2 weeks left of gestation.

Ugh. I so feel like crap right now.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM

157 posts, read 587,367 times
I hope theres some possible way you could find someone who would have the heart to take this poor little girl into their home....if she isn't feral its just too heartbreaking to put her back at the mercy of the streets...btw..bless your heart for doing what you did for her...now I pray someone will come forward..

Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 AM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
We'll be testing her tomorrow to see if she'll let us approach/touch her.

As for me taking her in, I hate to say it, but I can't. I only have a small 1bed/1bath condo with 5 dogs currently, of which 4 are special needs. It would be just too much for me.

Also, just got an update on her... she was carrying 9 kittens. NINE!!!! I had no idea cats were capable of carrying that many. She still had 2 weeks left of gestation.

Ugh. I so feel like crap right now.
You would feel worse if you found out those 9 kittens were born and then killed at an at-capacity shelter anyway, right? You did the right thing with the information you had at the time. You also prevented this cat from being in that situation again. I'd say you did a wonderful thing.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
You did the right thing with the information you had at the time. You also prevented this cat from being in that situation again. I'd say you did a wonderful thing.
I agree.

Maybe the vet can help you find a home for her? I'd guess that what happened was she was dumped because she was pregnant, and her owner didn't want to have to deal with it. I know it's a lot to ask, but whatever you could do to get her adopted would be wonderful as well. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM

Well, I brought her home and she escaped thru the dog door. I could tell she hadn't been socialized with dogs, and I have 5 of them. I set out a dish of food and water, and she came back just a few minutes ago and left with the food. I'll continue leaving food out for her and try to trap her again so I can get her tagged AND chipped. In the meantime I'll put signs up so hopefully when she's seen I'll be contacted.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
I'm glad this is working out so far! BIG THANKS for bringing her home. Maybe it will end up that she'll be a "permanent visitor." I also had no clue that a litter of more than six kittens was possible. (Trying not to think about what that spay operation must've looked like...)

Perhaps you could put up a listing on Petfinder.com? I can't be sure they take listings from individuals, though, maybe they only work with shelters.

It sounds to me like this young lady was indeed someone's pet who decided they couldn't be "bothered" with her any more. The same is what is thought about the permanent visitor I've had since almost a year ago. Happily, in my case this cat has gotten considerably more friendly and even invited herself in during a rain storm last week!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm glad this is working out so far! BIG THANKS for bringing her home. Maybe it will end up that she'll be a "permanent visitor." I also had no clue that a litter of more than six kittens was possible. (Trying not to think about what that spay operation must've looked like...)

Perhaps you could put up a listing on Petfinder.com? I can't be sure they take listings from individuals, though, maybe they only work with shelters.

It sounds to me like this young lady was indeed someone's pet who decided they couldn't be "bothered" with her any more. The same is what is thought about the permanent visitor I've had since almost a year ago. Happily, in my case this cat has gotten considerably more friendly and even invited herself in during a rain storm last week!
I certainly hope she'll be permanently visiting! I want to bring her inside so she can acclimate to my dogs, collared, tagged, and so I can get a hold of her to have her tested for leukemia and FHIV. If I can do that and she tests negative, then I can have a friend of mine do a courtesy listing on her rescue site. I agree that she was dumped, too.

I came across her this morning when she came back for food. I opened my front door to put out some food, and I saw her run away. Food is still there, so I expect she'll be back tonight. It's very warm right now (will be close to 90), so it should be mild overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats