U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM

585 posts, read 651,795 times
Cash is 14 pounds of pure muscle and paws. He was quite large when I got him too - he was supposed to be 5 months old at the time but looked full grown. His tabby brother who is the same age also weighs 14 pounds but looks way flabbier and fluffier. Cash isn't fat, he's just big-boned
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM

17,307 posts, read 16,397,342 times

Thought I would add these. My bf got them with his camera. My phone doesn't have a flash. My kitty squeezed his big heinie into this girlie bed and was very confident in himself, lolol.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 AM

5,422 posts, read 5,690,768 times
Just chiming in to agree with lots of good comments here.

Humans have tested to have a bias for 'baby faces', faces with symmetry etc.

When looking at a black cat or dog...the facial features sort of disappear don't they? (I have two black cats right now). They don't have interesting color features to hone in on. Black cats faces tend to look almost featureless compared to the variety you get with different colored faces or tabby markings. My 2 are ferals I took in and even I would prefer a more interesting markings. Of course I realize all this and given the opportunity to adopt I would also consider black animals just for that reason.

I feel more strongly about the getting an older animal issue. I'm older. I don't want to adopt something I may outlive. I want something whose energy level is more mine. That way we are BOTH happier.

The whole puppy/kitten thing just pi**es me off. This is just the human animal being it's openly self-centered self, wanting what it wants regardless of how bad it is for the animal or even themselves. Puppies and kittens are cute. So they don't want to do the right thing and get an animal that won't outlive them and end up homeless, or living in a crate till its 3 because they are way to busy to deal with a young dog....they turn a blind eye and pretend it will be different for them because they don't want to admit to themselves they are being selfish idiots. (The fascination with large dog figures in here too).
How many people have said they were getting a puppy and when you ask them about training when they both work and have 3 kids and are so totally busy they have no time....they totally waffle. They know deep down they won't have time to take a puppy to obedience training but they want a puppy and so....the same way many people make bad decisions about all sorts of things....they get one anyway and everyone suffers. GAH!

The biggest reason I hear is "I want to train them up right" usually by people who answer no when asked if they've ever trained any animal. I think what people are really saying without realizing it - is that they want something young to ensure strong family bonding. There is the excuse that they dont want to inherit problems but when I tell them to ask about animals that have been fostered - are there are many groups where ogs and cats have been in foster for months and whose personalities are well known - opps well they don't want to do that. I.e. they want a kitten or puppy for no good reason than that's what they want regardless. Its so much worse with dogs because they end up not training them, the dogs are out of control, they dump them at a shelter and have actually created that dog with issues they were afraid of adopting.

I cut these people no quarter when they start talking at work or even actually ask me for advice. I may be viewed as an extremist on animal issues or viewed with some suspicion re my beliefs but you know....people like that aren't ever going to be my besties anyway so I'd rather stick up for the animals and try to educate people when everyone else is keeping their mouths shut because they would rather get along. And yes, I get asked for advice, people ignore it (and yes Im a little more tactful than I am speaking here), and then it turns out just like I predicted. So disheartening. I on't know why the ask. Do they really think I'm going to validate their stupid decision? I work in an educated white collar environment. These people think they are smarter and more educated than other people but people are the same everywhere, especially when it comes to animals. Because animals don't have rights and aren't considered all that important despite all the protestations of 'but I love animals'.
They say they love animals but not enough to make the right decision. Because if everyone loved animals as much as they said....we wouldn't be killing millions every year.

Last edited by Giesela; 06-24-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM

17,307 posts, read 16,397,342 times

I love that kitty!!! <3

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM

24,680 posts, read 29,801,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My kitty squeezed his big heinie into this girlie bed and was very confident in himself, lolol.
He looks good in pink. LOL

Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,651,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I adopted an older (3 years old!) black cat who had been declawed. He was a biter and his owner decided she couldn't keep him. I took him in because I knew he'd never survive the shelter. His name is Shadow and he is one goofy quirky kitty but he brings me great joy. I broke him of the biting early on and now he's just a super lovable big fat black cat. He's lost a couple of pounds since this picture, but he's still big - 14 pounds. I can't seem to get his weight below that.
Too cute!!

Here's mine on his back:

Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM

956 posts, read 767,342 times
I noticed that too but personally I LOVE black cats they are so unique. When I buy my farm home there will be quite a bit of solid black cats on my property.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM

9,992 posts, read 15,870,629 times
I love my black puddies. I have had several in my lifetime, and they are the sweetest cats ever. It makes me feel sad that they get passed by. I know it's true they are difficult to adopt out, recently the shelter in my town was offerering a "two-for-one" deal on black kitties!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM

342 posts, read 280,504 times
I have a 10 year old black cat (Bart) I adopted from a shelter when he was 2. I sought him out specifically because my 8 year old black cat (Eddie) had just died and I missed seeing a black cat run around the house! I remember the staff at the shelter steering me towards a lively orange cat while Bart was just curled up in a bed. I said no, I drove an hour to see Bart. So they brought him over to me. I crouched down, held out out my hand and he head-butted me. I took him home the next day . He's probably the most lovable cat I've ever had.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM

5,824 posts, read 11,242,744 times
I have two black cats currently, but they were strays so they found me. I don't understand the whole black cat superstition thing. It's pretty ridiculous. Black cats are harder to photograph in my experience, but that doesn't mean they're any less worthy of adopting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats