Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

How on earth can we get this under control? I get so frustrated with people who are in denial about what is going on with pet overpopulation. One regular poster on here ( or maybe it was dog forum) actually said there was not a pet overpopulation problem.

Animal shelters overburdened with cats in summer - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How on earth can we get this under control? I get so frustrated with people who are in denial about what is going on with pet overpopulation. One regular poster on here ( or maybe it was dog forum) actually said there was not a pet overpopulation problem.

I am grateful on a local level our animal authority is proactive in that they have an EXCELLENT spay and neuter program for not only feral animals but low-income pets in DC regardless of income...

Honestly? I don't know. Where are people getting their pets from that they don't have to fix them? WHS released my unfixed kitten to me with a promise I would fix him - which I did - as soon as he recovered from his URI but from what I understand, they don't normally do that. Want a sick cat? You have to wait for it to be fixed to pick up your friend.

It's a public health issue. Backyard breeders need to be prosecuted and shut down. The public needs to be educated. The shelters need more money for spay/neuter programs. The list goes on.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
I wish I could adopt them all! Shelter animals are the best
And I agree... spay and neuter funding is key.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
I am grateful on a local level our animal authority is proactive in that they have an EXCELLENT spay and neuter program for not only feral animals but low-income pets in DC regardless of income...
We have low cost clinics here but the low-income people can't be bothered to get their cats and dogs in.

Quote:
Honestly? I don't know. Where are people getting their pets from that they don't have to fix them?
Try Craigslist and other online sites where animals are handed off to the next stranger coming to the door.

Quote:
WHS released my unfixed kitten to me with a promise I would fix him - which I did - as soon as he recovered from his URI but from what I understand, they don't normally do that. Want a sick cat? You have to wait for it to be fixed to pick up your friend.

It's a public health issue. Backyard breeders need to be prosecuted and shut down. The public needs to be educated. The shelters need more money for spay/neuter programs. The list goes on.
I just found out our shelter will get something like $25,000 less from the county because of all the complaints the city received from people about not getting help when needed with vicious, loose dogs and strays. Now they'll kill even more animals.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I wish I could adopt them all! Shelter animals are the best
And I agree... spay and neuter funding is key.
But you can force people to get their animals spayed or neutered. Unless we get some laws passed pertaining to this issue, the problems will continue.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
If I see another thread about people celebrating the birth of kittens (in another supposedly pro-spay-neuter-forum) I might scream.

It infuriates me.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

There has to be a big drive to be sure pets get neutered or spayed. If more cities would have a free neutering/spaying clinic with vets donating their time, perhaps the overpopulation especially with cats would not happen. My husband and I are BIG on adoption of animals and have adopted two kitties and a Pit Bull that someone left tied to a dumpster. We frequent the local shelter so we do see all the animals that get dumped there because people don't want the responsibility any longer.
Of course there is a big pet overpopulation problem because there are not enough responsible pet owners.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
If I see another thread about people celebrating the birth of kittens (in another supposedly pro-spay-neuter-forum) I might scream.

It infuriates me.
Kittens are sooo adorable so I get the appeal of wanting to have a litter; however there's plenty of adorable kittens awaiting new homes in shelters.

Why create something new when you can find something same or similar elsewhere? Besides shelter cats rule!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
But you can force people to get their animals spayed or neutered. Unless we get some laws passed pertaining to this issue, the problems will continue.
You can? Like you can force people to wear seatbelts or drive the speed limit? Or even just license their dog or cat?

You can pass laws but you can't force people.

Passing laws in some places may up the rate of spay/neuter, but in other places it would just be seen as a hardship, even though really it should be the opposite. (Isn't it more of a hardship to have more animals?)

Even upping the rate of spay/neuter, whether with laws or not, will not alone fix the problem. All it takes is people continuing to abandon young cats and you'll still end up with tons of ferals.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You can? Like you can force people to wear seatbelts or drive the speed limit? Or even just license their dog or cat?
Our local shelters will not let you adopt unless you let them spay or neuter the animal before you take it home. They charge for this but it's less than $100 and they microchip at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats