Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,769 times

Advertisements

Driving 26 ft moving van with vehicle on trailer behind it. Have 2 cats that are crate friendly and 2 small dogs also. Driving by myself and stopping in pet motels. Do you think it's ok to put cats in crates in towed vehicle while driving truck with dogs in cab. Windows open in vehicle for air circulation. Is this illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I dunno if it's illegal but it sure as hell isn't a good idea! Would you ride in a towed vehicle??

Please find a better way to transport them. If you can't figure out a way to fit them all in the cab, you need a second trip or second driver.

Ideally the dogs should also be restrained in the cab, so in carriers/crates of some kind, not just loose, and anchored in somehow with the seatbelt or other means.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,221 times
^^^what he said, absolutely!!!! What if your trailer came unhitched?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Driving 26 ft moving van with vehicle on trailer behind it. Have 2 cats that are crate friendly and 2 small dogs also. Driving by myself and stopping in pet motels. Do you think it's ok to put cats in crates in towed vehicle while driving truck with dogs in cab. Windows open in vehicle for air circulation. Is this illegal?
I believe it would be illegal in some states. Put them in towed vehicle? In the summer heat? Air circulation alone isn't going to overcome the greenhouse effect. What happens if you get caught on traffic? I would not do this.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
No. Cats should not be in a towed vehicle. Get a large puppy crate, put in pillow and small cat box. All pets need to be secured in crates. You will make good time...because you only eat fast food...too hot to leave pets in car in summer. I made a trip across the country in about 5 days.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,769 times
Thanks for the feedback, will have to remedy another way. And ," What if your trailer came unhitched" is a little extreme reasoning I think. The other scenarios were more realistic.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
We moved several times across the US with cats. No drugs, their usual food, lots of conversation. They may be in a crate but keep three eyes open when you open a window or door! Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Thanks for the feedback, will have to remedy another way. And ," What if your trailer came unhitched" is a little extreme reasoning I think. The other scenarios were more realistic.
Well, I was thinking a little of safety in an accident, but mainly I'm thinking of heat/ventilation issues as well as simple separation anxiety type issues. Not to mention that leaving the windows open in a towed car would create a notable additional drag on the car, which would pull it against whatever is restraining it on the trailer. It may be a stretch to say that would make the towing significantly more unstable, but I don't think the effect would be zero either.

Good luck, I know it's probably not what you want to hear as it means for tougher logistics, but for the safety and sanity of all involved it's definitely something you should avoid.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,037 times
I would consider having someone help you out over having them ride in the unattended towed vehicle. I wouldn't do either but sounds like you're desperate for a good solution.

I'm traveling from DC to California soon and plan to put an ad on Craigslist in case anyone needs stuff/animals etc transported (anything legal, that is haha). I'd trust myself to transport my own cats that far but maybe not a stranger - but if you're actually considering having them in the towed vehicle, maybe you'd be open to having them transported by a stranger who is also going that route.

I may actually end up volunteering my car to rescues along I-80 who are moving death row animals from the east coast to the Midwest and beyond since I'm making the trip anyway. You might look into that as a possibility. Obviously I would REALLY check out anyone you might come across but you never know, I'd say that's safer than putting them in a towed vehicle.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Yes to the advise not to. Don't even go into a restraunt during the day and leave them in the car/cab. This is not just summer but a very hot one.

When I moved, what we did was leave the animals (one dog, on cat) in the motel and get a good filling breakfast. We stopped for a quick 'drivethru' lunch, and got a decent dinner when we got to the motel.

For the dogs, give them water and walk them on the trip. The cats won't eat or use a litter box, but when you go into the motel, leave them in the crate. Set up the bathroom with food, litter box and water and let them in then close the door. Give them a breathing space and go get dinner.

With motels, beware of hidey holes. My cat had a harness and one per cat is very much reccomended. With a light leash which gives you some control if they do get out. If you leave them loose in the room, then leave it on. When they dissapear underneath the dresser you can see where they went that way.

My cat crawled under the covers and hid and I was very careful not to touch her after having to take the side table out, the lamp off and the bottom drawers out since she'd found a nice secure hiding place and didn't want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats