Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
SOME cats are fine being left alone for 3 days. Others become quite distressed. And there is a key difference in your scenario versus the OP's.... you have cats plural.
As of last week I have cats plural. I took in another cat that was a promise kept to my late elderly friend who recently passed away..that I would take care of his cat should he die. My first cat was a stray that came up to me at my girlfriends house, and in a fit of drunkenness, I adopted the starvign friendly cat. Now I have two who are separated until they can make peace with each other.

I left them last weekend. Plenty of food etc and airconditioning. Could something have happened:? Could the screen separating the cats fallen..perhaps..would they have gotten into a fight...likely...but I cant change my life because I have two cats.

They are not my "babies". They are my pets...well taken care of, provided all their needs including affection. But I will not treat them like they are children...lets consider them "adults" of a different species in my care.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
As of last week I have cats plural. I took in another cat that was a promise kept to my late elderly friend who recently passed away..that I would take care of his cat should he die. My first cat was a stray that came up to me at my girlfriends house, and in a fit of drunkenness, I adopted the starvign friendly cat. Now I have two who are separated until they can make peace with each other.

I left them last weekend. Plenty of food etc and airconditioning. Could something have happened:? Could the screen separating the cats fallen..perhaps..would they have gotten into a fight...likely...but I cant change my life because I have two cats.

They are not my "babies". They are my pets...well taken care of, provided all their needs including affection. But I will not treat them like they are children...lets consider them "adults" of a different species in my care.

i guessthat is a matter of epinion...... my cat is my child.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
How is their food and water "fresh" if it's been sitting out for days?
It's not fresh. It's stale.
And the litterboxes will be disgusting and stinky if they're not scooped for days.
Would you want to poop and pee in a big mess?
I sure wouldn't...and neither would my cats.

they have units where you can fill them up with dry food and water as perlitter box you can put out

Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
If you consider your cat a "child" then dont leave it alone. The cat wont mind solitude but you might have some separation anxiety.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
If you consider your cat a "child" then dont leave it alone. The cat wont mind solitude but you might have some separation anxiety.
Again, the cat may or may not "mind" the solitude. You seem to believe the way your cats deal can be categorically applied to all cats. It ain't so.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I totally disagree - breed is very much an issue with Siamese. We used to leave cats that we had in the past "home alone" all the time. But the cats we have now (brother /sister Siamese) no way - they get into things and do things that never occured to our other cats and they, even with each other's company, are much more needy than regular/other breeds of cats.
My point is, I don't think any cat or cats should be left alone for three days a row every week, regardless of breed. I also think that even just a one time thing of 3 days is too long to leave a cat or cats without anyone checking in on them. And yes, I am speaking from experience.

Quote:
I don't think we can really generalize about cats and their independent/aloof qualities...like humans, they are all very unique and have their own ways. If the cat is accustomed to having a human around all the time (ie: being boarded when you go out of town and still getting the wet food he mostly eats), then you have no way of knowing how he'll be without any human around for 3 or 4 days in a row, eating stale dry food and drinking not-so-cool-and-fresh water. As others have pointed out, too many things can go dreadfully wrong when a cat is bored, lonely, and left to his or her own devices.

If you're really against having someone come by to check up on him and feed him what he likes and is used to at least once a day, then my opinion is to either shell out the money to board him or re-think your plan to leave every weekend for 3 or 4 days. My cats are not Siamese, but they are very attached to me and would give me the silent treatment if I left them alone that much...and I'd probably find poop in the corners, too...that's what my little old lady cat does when I do something she doesn't appreciate .
Yes. Cats who are ignored, treated as furniture, left alone a lot...well I guess they are used to it. I think it's a rotten way to treat a pet.

My cats are used to daily attentions individually, and as a group, I spend many hours with them. They do not like to be left alone for long periods of time, and for the current gang, they've never been left alone longer than 12 hours.

Quote:
some of you state i should have someone come to my home ........... I stated in my 1st post I dont want anyone in my home when i am not there. And the Point was to save money. since a friend of mine said INSTEAD of spending 60 a weekend let your cat stay home alone and save 60 dollars.

Maybe what I will do is test him for one night see how it goes or just send him to the Cosey Catery that he goes to in NV. its nice to save $240 a month but he is more imporant then money
Does your friend have a lot of experience with cats? I would not listen to a friend with such advice. You say he is more important than money but I do not comprehend that you intend to either board him or leave him on his own for three days out of every seven.

That is no life for any cat, and certainly not for a cat who by breed is high strung and sociable.

Quote:
How is their food and water "fresh" if it's been sitting out for days?
It's not fresh. It's stale.
And the litterboxes will be disgusting and stinky if they're not scooped for days.
Would you want to poop and pee in a big mess?
I sure wouldn't...and neither would my cats.
Totally agree.

Quote:

Since the first cat at least is already used to living a solitary life, while it's sad for the cat, I guess he is used to it. The new cat is probably not used to being left alone at all, having lived with an elderly ill person, which is really heart breaking.

Here this cat has lost her person, and her home and she is stuck in a room and left alone for days at a time.

You don't seem to realize that cats have intelligence, and feelings and needs beyond food, water and shelter . They form emotional attachments and have difficulty adjusting to change.

Quote:
Your attitude is inconsistent. You stated that:

Quote:

Me stay home everyweekend ..lol... Don't thnk so lol
When you have pets, you should be prepared to adjust your style of living. With animals come responsibility.

Quote:
they have units where you can fill them up with dry food and water as perlitter box you can put out
And if the batteries die, or the water gets knocked over, the cat starves and goes without water.

With pets comes responsibility. This means you can't always please yourself. Please do not subject this cat to weekly abandonment.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
i have been seperated from him for a long period of time when i traveled. this is a SHORT weekly weekend trip

I know a lot of people who have children who leave them alone that are of age I treat him like my own child but he is not a human he is a animal big difference.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My point is, I don't think any cat or cats should be left alone for three days a row every week, regardless of breed. I also think that even just a one time thing of 3 days is too long to leave a cat or cats without anyone checking in on them. And yes, I am speaking from experience.

Yes. Cats who are ignored, treated as furniture, left alone a lot...well I guess they are used to it. I think it's a rotten way to treat a pet.

My cats are used to daily attentions individually, and as a group, I spend many hours with them. They do not like to be left alone for long periods of time, and for the current gang, they've never been left alone longer than 12 hours.

Does your friend have a lot of experience with cats? I would not listen to a friend with such advice. You say he is more important than money but I do not comprehend that you intend to either board him or leave him on his own for three days out of every seven.

That is no life for any cat, and certainly not for a cat who by breed is high strung and sociable.

Totally agree.

Since the first cat at least is already used to living a solitary life, while it's sad for the cat, I guess he is used to it. The new cat is probably not used to being left alone at all, having lived with an elderly ill person, which is really heart breaking.

Here this cat has lost her person, and her home and she is stuck in a room and left alone for days at a time.

You don't seem to realize that cats have intelligence, and feelings and needs beyond food, water and shelter . They form emotional attachments and have difficulty adjusting to change.

Your attitude is inconsistent. You stated that:

When you have pets, you should be prepared to adjust your style of living. With animals come responsibility.

And if the batteries die, or the water gets knocked over, the cat starves and goes without water.

With pets comes responsibility. This means you can't always please yourself. Please do not subject this cat to weekly abandonment.
i agree with some of your thoughts but my cat does not run my social life. I am not going to live my life for a cat i am going to enjoy my life. anyone who wastes there life to sit home for a cat is SAD in my book.

I will give it a one nite trial but i think for 2 or more nights i will just send him to the cosy cattery since many on here are against this idea an I do appree the feed back but neg and pos. about leaving him.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Today, the Siamese is one of the most popular breeds of cat, principally because it is known as an affectionate and sociable breed.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3411305
http://ezinearticles.com/?Cat-Breeds...ese&id=3411305

Quote:
Siamese are affectionate and very intelligent cats, renowned for their social nature and their ability to bond and communicate with people.
About Siamese » Yatai Siamese Cats & Kittens Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut, Virginia

Quote:
Siamese cats are very sociable. When left alone for long periods of time, they can become destructive.
[LEFT]
Read more: Siamese Cat Problems | eHow.com Siamese Cat Problems | eHow.com
[/LEFT]

Please, rethink either your lifestyle, or keeping this cat. Please, do not abandon him for 3 days every week. Your cat needs daily human companionship. It is not right to subject him to such a lonely life. I don't know the history of how you came to have him, and I know you have spent a lot of time asking about his diet, but it seems odd to me that someone who does not intend to be home very much would take on a pet, any pet, but certainly not a breed who does not do well left alone.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM

so here is what i have decided to do........

I will try to take him on some of my vaca's that are driving distance. If I am flying i will send him to the Cosy Cattery for boarding.

there were a lot of good posts here were ANYTHING can happen and he is not a human who can pick up a phone or holla for help. Being its Summer your right food - water- litter should be fresh everyday if not 2x a day.

Thank you for your input and my cat will most likely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats