Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Great points, and I agree the key here is that you had people looking out for you who had access to the house in case of emergency...I feel that is very important.

I wholeheartedly agree that when you promise to take any creature in, you should be willing to compromise certain things. We all need a break and a little vacation time in our lives, but every weekend is excessive. If that sort of lifestyle is more important to someone than the animal in their life, then maybe it's better for that person to refrain from having a pet. If I were fostering an animal and someone wanted to adopt it but wasn't willing to compromise a lifestyle where they're gone that often, I wouldn't place the animal with that person. Most shelters and reputable breeders wouldn't, either.
Same here.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,835 times
I asked my Vet this afternon and he agreed and said , " Cats are very independent pets, you can still live your active socialite lifestyle and travel like our clique is known to do, and be a good pet parent. There is no reason to become a hermit or slave to your livestock, sounds like people you asked online are not accustome to our llifestyle.

Asked the owners of Cosy Cattery and was told " Many of my clients drop off their pets weekly if they can't take their pets with them, people don't rid of thier summer homes and vactation retreats just for a pets. " They are going to try and help me hire a pet nanny, i am told that is what many jetsetters and celbs have added to thier staff.

i got this emailed to me from the owners who are adding cat nanny to there services.
http://www.renopetnanny911.com/servicesandrates.html

Last edited by =Lavender=; 07-03-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,835 times
by the way have a great 4th of july Im assuming most of you will be spending it at home.

My Siam and I took a private flight from Carson city airport to San Fran. limo=ed to the Half moon Ritz where we will holiday for 5 days he sat in the seat next to me and flew and road stress free. and shared some di parma prosciuttto and organic cantelope=== he only ate the prosuittto tho. . how lucky he is ....

Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
Well, I will be at home.

Lavender, what I don't understand is if you have a personal assistant and a maid- are they not trustworthy around your valuables and do they not have any access to your home while you are not there?

Personally I have had good luck and not so good luck with boarding and with at home sitters. I think a good boarding facility could easily be better than a sitter. I think a lot depends on how the kitty reacts to being transported. Whatever you decide to do, I think your kitty would love a companion kitty.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
My Siam and I took a private flight from Carson city airport to San Fran. limo=ed to the Half moon Ritz where we will holiday for 5 days he sat in the seat next to me and flew and road stress free. and shared some di parma prosciuttto and organic cantelope=== he only ate the prosuittto tho. . how lucky he is ....
I'm soooo impressed... not.

My father & his wife have been "jet-setting" around Europe/Russia for the last couple of weeks, and did what they always do for their cat when traveling... paid the housekeeper (who's worked for our family since the '80s) a little extra, to stop by daily and check on the cat. They LOVE that cat almost like another child, and put her needs first even with their lavish lifestyle. Trust me, they'd have canceled the trip without hesitation if pet-sitting hadn't been available!

And if you have such a posh lifestyle which "people don't get," why were you concerned about spending extra money for a sitter? Hmmmm. Oh yeah, and veterinarians usually don't make that much money - so I doubt your vet said what you claim, especially since NO vet would refer to cats as livestock. Not buying it!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-04-2012 at 12:44 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
That being said, I will occasionally leave my cats alone for 1-2 nights... if I'm gone any longer than that, I'll get a friend to stay here or a pet-sitter to visit every other day. I actually used to work for a local pet-sitting company, so I know they can be trusted - plus I still get my 20% discount.

But I have three cats to keep each other company, and two of them are rather old now. I do worry about leaving the younger one alone, since she gets into trouble even when I'm home!! I've only left her for a few one-night trips, and luckily she didn't cause any major damage... just a couple of things knocked off a shelf, and a big chew-hole in the dry food bag. I guess she's a one-night MAX kind of cat, due to her active & social nature, so I've since had to make that adjustment (getting a sitter) for her. While I agree you should enjoy life, having a pet is still a responsibility to be taken seriously.

P.S. One of my cats is actually 1/2 Siamese, but she's also 15 years old with an inherently lazy & aloof personality. She's never cared much about being left alone, in fact I think she prefers it at times - and would be even happier if I took the other cats with me, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-04-2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Thread has run its course when the bickering begins. You don't have to agree but attacking someone because you disagree with their opinion runs contrary to the spirit of this forum

Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I left Sunday morning, came home Tuesday night. Jasper was fine.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh please people. Cats are quite self sufficient and can easily be left for 3 or 4 days with adequate food, water, litter and ventilation. I leave my cats every weekend for 3 days...nothing is wrong with them.

If your cat cant deal with three days alone...you might be creating some mental issues with the way YOU deal with your independent feline.
You've been lucky so far. One day our male cat Zebulon got a front claw caught in a tightly woven Oriental Carpet in the sunroom and couldn't get free. His toe was twisted around and he was screaming in pain and fear. It took my husband and myself to grab him and keep him from moving so his claw could be freed. What would have happened had he been caught for the entire weekend? Ripped his claw out in a panic and bled to death? Ripped the entire end of the toe off with the same result? That's not to mention he would have been unable to use the litter box, eat or drink until we came home. We travel a lot and have an RV so we take the three cats with us everywhere. It's not always convenient but we know they're safe with us.

And yes, I got rid of that carpet.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Instead of being helpful or even consoling, this thread has just become very silly so that's why I'm closing it down.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats