Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times

Advertisements

This has been an on-going discussion in our house, the big issue is leaving them alone in the house for an extended period of time. Someone is usually home but Thurs and Fri we're all gone until about 6:30 PM and both cats are sitting on window sills watching for us to come up the driveway, so we feel we can't leave them alone during vacations even if we had some one to check on them, which we most likely wouldn't trust unless it was a family member, and they're all too far away, so we relunctantly have kenneled them the last 3 years. It's a heartbreak to do that but they're in a 2 level cat condo right next to each other, are out 1 hour a day [ouch] but the owner and co-owner are there because it's a huge kennel for both cats and dogs and there's lots of activity and they're never alone, albeit the noise. Aside from being a little dusty, they seem to do OK and we don't have to worry they're alone, pining away for us, and/or getting into trouble at home with some semi-caring individual checking in on them, probably watching TV and looking around for what to take that wouldn't be noticed. Has happened before with my best friend! We also have greatly reduced our time away because of these cats which we love dearly, which is a drag sometimes, because we won't even leave them overnight. I think different people have different levels of comfort leaving their animals alone when they're gone, it came natural to us that they would never be left alone but that's just us. If you have no other options than leaving them to fend for themselves for 9 days, try to scrape up the money for a kennel, maybe ask for a discount because you have 3, then you don't have to worry and you can enjoy your vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Maybe you could put a dish under a faucet and leave it trickling or at least dripping. It would collect in the bowl but overflow and stay fresher. 9 day old water would have a lot of stuff growing in it!
That's not a bad idea. We might try that.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 PM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
There are automatic feeders and waterers as well that we use that work great and the food and water stay fresh. The water will not evaporate in an automatic one. Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
There are automatic feeders and waterers as well that we use that work great and the food and water stay fresh. The water will not evaporate in an automatic one. Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!
I'm not sure if even the largest size fountain would have enough for 3 cats for 9 days without the water getting so low it would burn out the motor. And I'm not sure they're in her budget.
About the dish under the faucet thing, I started thinking maybe you should have 2 in 2 sinks in case they manage to flip one or something. Who knows what cats are going to do.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
There was one lady at our vet's office who dogsits, but I don't think she cat sits. We live a half-hour from our vet (or any vet, or anything really) and most would not want to make that drive.

My sister's friends are checking in on her two cats, but they live 1/4 mile from her. It's a lot simpler when you have people you trust living around you.
You don't know until you ask.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I think we'll be alright. I have about 8-9 pounds of food sitting out and a few bowls full of water. I hate leaving them without somebody to look in on them but I don't know to ask. They should be alright.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Close to a month long out of country visit....
She will be well taken care of.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 PM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm not sure if even the largest size fountain would have enough for 3 cats for 9 days without the water getting so low it would burn out the motor. And I'm not sure they're in her budget.
About the dish under the faucet thing, I started thinking maybe you should have 2 in 2 sinks in case they manage to flip one or something. Who knows what cats are going to do.
I wasn't talking about a fountain. I was talking about an automatic waterer that holds more than enough for that many cats for that many days......unless they drink more water than I've ever seen any cat drink. If in doubt,you could use two automatic waterers.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,249 times
I am about to have to take a cross-country trip myself and really torn. I have a friend close I could probably ask - and, more importantly, would TRUST not only with my stuff but my cats and that's what matters, I don't care about someone stealing my TV, I just want my cats taken care of - but not sure if it's too much to ask of her (but I WILL ask if it comes to it and I'm sure she would do it). I'm not leaning toward boarding for the same reasons many here on this forum wouldn't - namely my kids going from free roaming in my apartment to being locked up most of the day like common criminals.

I could be gone up to 3 weeks (this is more business than pleasure, for the record, as an owner of 4 I've pretty much resigned myself to 2 day pleasure trips MAX and I haven't taken one since September) so I can't simply leave them without a good plan. My neighbors who watched my apartment last time I left for 3 days and left the kids on their own will be leaving the state shortly and there is no one else I trust in my building who I could ask. Either way, 3 weeks is not 3 days.

My biggest concern would NOT be stale water as there are fixes for that, it would be something happening with any one of them that I could not resolve promptly. I would consider setting up every webcam in the house to keep an eye on them but I would be worried about a laptop fire or someone walking across the keyboard to disable the camera. My house is fairly cat-proof since two of mine were raised from kittens not that long ago but there are still plenty of hazards. What if the AC goes out and they're left in my apartment in 100 degree heat?! There are too many what ifs.

Plus I have an old, frail senior. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her while I am gone that led to a disaster if I could have fixed it had I been there.

At a minimum, if I were you I would invest in a pet cam and have someone if not SEVERAL someones available on an emergency basis WITH KEYS to your house to check in if they absolutely have to.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I think we'll be alright. I have about 8-9 pounds of food sitting out and a few bowls full of water. I hate leaving them without somebody to look in on them but I don't know to ask. They should be alright.
Is there some reason you can't stay home alone with them? I could never have a good or enjoyable time knowing my cats were alone for 9 days. Anything can happen while you're away. If you insist on leaving them, please leave plenty of water in tip-proof bowls or pans for them and plenty of litter-pans.

I'm just curious... how do you get to the college to take classes? Do you drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats