U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM

17,464 posts, read 16,574,973 times
Default Cat afraid of heights?

The kitty we have adopted is unlike any cat I have ever had. He was very afraid of noises but has seem to have gotten over that by now. We adopted him at the end of April and he has done just fine. He will be 7 next month.

This is the only cat that I have ever had that doesn't jump up on tables and counters, which is a great thing, but he wont even get up on the back of the couch and seems afraid if you hold him up towards your shoulder.

He doesn't like to be picked up either. This is ok with me, he gets on my lap all the time. He is so big and heavy it hurts my elbows when I have to pick him up.

At any rate, he is the kind of the castle, just very unique to any cat either of us has ever had.

Here is a picture of him helping me research cats who don't like heights... lol

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,379,280 times
He is a beautiful boy. It's quite possible something in his previous life has made him wary of being on the furniture. Most cats do not like to be picked up so that is not unusual.

I have a rescued stray who I suspect was abused. For almost a year or so living with me, she never got up on any furniture, even though she could see that the other cats enjoyed a life of ease on the couch, bed, book cases and cat perches. She did finally start jumping up on things, but if she saw me noticing her she would flinch and jump down again. That flinching broke my heart, so I started being very careful not to look at her right away when she got up on something. Once she looked relaxed I would smile at her and speak to her in a cheerful approving tone of voice. I was also careful not to reach out to touch her during this transition stage, because she also cringed at hands coming at her. (she doesn't, any more)

However, once she finally realized nothing bad would happen she began exploring in earnest and now perches and sleeps anywhere she pleases. (She's been here almost 5 years now and recently became Top Cat, after my Red Boy left us for the Bridge)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Thats strange, I have had many cats in my life and they all loved being picked up. I have had a couple from the same litter who would ride around on my shoulders...until they got too big for it, anyway...

Aww about your kitty.

I don't know. Every once in a while he will put his paws on my nightstand and look across it, back paws on the ground, and once got on it from my bed.

He will get on the bed and stay there all day, or on the couch in my spot and own it so I have to sit somewhere else...

It pains me to think someone may have swatted at him, etc if he got on something....

I know I would usher my cats off of places they shouldn't be, but nothing like that.....

He is such a sweet kitty boy.... He has been a very nice addition to my bf and my home...

Sorry for your loss...

Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
What a cute picture.

You never know, could be something related to his life before you adopted him. We took in a cat (now deceased) directly from another person several years ago. She didn't get up on furniture either, and apparently through a bit of further info exchange she never really got a lot of petting, didn't get up on furniture and didn't talk a lot. But once she adjusted to our place, she greeted us at door with meows and was generally somewhat talkative in reaction to us, we coaxed her into jumping up on the couch which she enjoyed to no end, and she enjoyed generally just about as much petting as you wanted to give, as well as brushing.

It's only been a couple months. A bit more time and he'll probably enjoy some of those things more. Not necessarily being picked up though, a great many cats don't like that. You're lucky, he already enjoys laps. I only get a little bit of cuddling from Amber. She's never been a lap cat, and she's only occasionally a get up next to you cat.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM

585 posts, read 663,318 times
My tuxedo doesn't like heights that much either. When everyone else is on the back of the couch, he's on the floor. He'll jump up into the windows or hop on my bed but he is definitely a bush-dweller. Oddly he also doesn't arch his butt in the air when you pet him either, he actually puts his butt DOWN. He's weird.

Anyway... have you considered building a cat-specific climbing area? Maybe he is just being polite and doesn't want to climb all over your furniture! I wish my cats would do the same - I'm woken up almost every morning by cats chasing each other across my high bed and knocking down the picture frames on my nightstand. Jerks.

I've been considering building something like this in my condo: IKEA Hack from Stockholm*|*moderncat :: cat products, cat toys, cat furniture, and more…all with modern style We have about 700 sq ft in the city so the options are limited but something like that going above my couch in the living room down to the hallway entry would be AWESOME and I'm sure *most* of my cats would love it, even tuxie who prefers the floor.

Do you have a tall cat tree? I'd try that. OR start with something small (mine LOVE their scratching post/nest combo that is only about a foot off the ground) and work up.

At the end of the day, you have a "problem" many of us wish we had!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM

I can't imagine spending money on any of that stuff. I don't think he would ever get on it. To Greg... the lady who delivered him to me who was fostering him said he doesn't like new people, never talks or gets in laps, and usually just stays in his cage.

The Day I brought him home from meeting her half way I set the crate down in the living room and opened it up. I figured he would be hiding for three days or more. He walked around and checked the place out. I closed the bedroom doors. I was sitting in my bf recliner and he jumped right on my lap I could not believe it!

He talks to us all the time... When there new people around it takes a while but boy did he ever take right to us! I like that he doesn't get on tables, just think its weird for a cat!

Killa my kitty doesn't raise his tail either, I don't think he likes it very much at all...

Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Eh, you never know. I wouldn't spend money on cat furniture now, but it's possible something that made it easy for him to get up into a comfy cubby is something he would use at least eventually. Or not. Hard to tell.

Here the cat furniture seems to get used in the winter. In the summer, not so much right now. Not sure why. But she has multiple places to curl up in.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm glad he's settled in so nicely and is happy and loving. It's still early days, he may surprise you in time.

You might give him a Box Fort (a box turned on it's side with the flaps hanging down), and a cardboard box with the flaps torn off, (for chin resting naps).

A cat needs his own furniture, even if he never gets off the floor.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm glad he's settled in so nicely and is happy and loving. It's still early days, he may surprise you in time.

You might give him a Box Fort (a box turned on it's side with the flaps hanging down), and a cardboard box with the flaps torn off, (for chin resting naps).

A cat needs his own furniture, even if he never gets off the floor.
Well he owns the couch, and for the world, he will not get in a box!

The funniest thing was finding him in his pretty pink princess bed. We got him another one today with a hood that hangs down because he likes to get under the covers.

Oh, another funny thing. The first night we had him I was getting ready to go to bed and I asked my bf if the cat was in the bedroom. The lights were off and he said, "You could say that...."

I turned the light on and he had jumped on the bed and gotten under the covers. I got on the bed with kitty in the middle and he licked my bf and snuggled up to the both of us....

I think he likes his new home!!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well he owns the couch, and for the world, he will not get in a box!

The funniest thing was finding him in his pretty pink princess bed. We got him another one today with a hood that hangs down because he likes to get under the covers.

Oh, another funny thing. The first night we had him I was getting ready to go to bed and I asked my bf if the cat was in the bedroom. The lights were off and he said, "You could say that...."

I turned the light on and he had jumped on the bed and gotten under the covers. I got on the bed with kitty in the middle and he licked my bf and snuggled up to the both of us....

I think he likes his new home!!
I think he does too. He knows he is forever home. He certainly is His Own Self, isn't he? A cat who doesn't like a box!

I have a Burrower too! I always have to look before I sit down anywhere to make sure she is not under something. My last Burrower went to the Bridge in 2005, so I am thrilled to have another now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats