Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

I want to start taking my new pet cat Maadi on walks. I'm just so excited. I adopted her from the local shelter. She has the nicest sleek,shiny black fur and I sort of want to show her off by walking her on a cute little leash.

But how would dogs react passing her by?

Anyone else out there walk their cats or rabbits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
We walk one of our cats around our yard only. I pick her up if I see a dog coming. Our dogs are good with our cats, but I know they'd flip if they saw a cat out walking on one of their walks.
We have neighbors who walk their 2 dogs and a cat on the street together, and the cat walks as well as the dogs do! A guy I used to work with took his cat on walks too. So it's a little unusual but not unheard of.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
We walk one of our cats around our yard only. I pick her up if I see a dog coming. Our dogs are good with our cats, but I know they'd flip if they saw a cat out walking on one of their walks.
We have neighbors who walk their 2 dogs and a cat on the street together, and the cat walks as well as the dogs do! A guy I used to work with took his cat on walks too. So it's a little unusual but not unheard of.
Ok thanks. I didn't want to look weird walking my cat. I haven't seen it done before though.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
the problem with taking a cat for a wak is cats are much more independant and alot harder to teach leash manners..so its usually the ca taking YOU for a walk rather than the other way around.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Go slowly introducing the harness, and when you take her out make sure it is secure.

I had my Pippin since he was 2 days old (abandoned at the vet). I was determined that he would be socialized so I got a harness for him and took him all over the place with me. Despite all that as he became an adult he decided that he was no longer interested in being out of his house. Now he completely freaks out as soon as we pass the front door! I guess I'm just trying to say that not all cats have temperments suited to going on walks.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 PM

I guess cats can't be trained?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
It all depends on the cat. Mine, after many years, walks me instead of me walking her, like foxy said. That's why we walk in the yard instead of down the street. She really enjoys it though, since she's not allowed to run around loose outside. My neighbor's cat, on the other hand, walks at a heel. I don't know how they taught it.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
I walk JJ around the block whenever possible (meaning when it isn't too hot/cold which is frankly most of the year.)

The key is to start them off young inside. First just put the harness on and let them wear it for short periods around the house. Then attach the leash and give a little tug while you show them a bit of food and give a command like 'come' Most people don't actually try to train the cat...they just stick the leash and harness on, which often results in the cat flopping over and refusing to move.

You also want to make sure you get a very secure harness that they can't wiggle out of. I don't like the circle 8 harness- JJ uses an H-style and he's never gotten out of it. Then again, he's never tried very hard either. There are walking jackets that are very hard to get free of if your cat is more of an escape artist.

You also want to socialize the cat for noises like cars, so they don't panic and try to squirm away.

JJ knows 'come', 'step up', 'okay', and 'watch your step'. He's really quite excellent at veering left or right with the slightest leash pressure. He usually stops for a second if something loud goes by like a motorcycle, which is when I give the 'okay' signal and he'll start walking again.

Be very very vigilant about watching for dogs. I'm usually scanning to see where I can put JJ if a dog comes running up, like on top of a car or over a fence. The closest we've come to a bad incident is when our neighbor down the street let his black lab run at us. Of course he said "Oh, he's friendly, he wouldn't hurt your cat!" I told him the dog might be friendly but JJ wasn't, and I'd rather his dog didn't lose an eye.

We do get a lot of comments...including a pack of teen girls who shouted nonsense at me...I guess it's offensive to walk your cat? I don't know, it was too silly to bother about. Sometimes people will roll down their car windows and chat.

I actually don't ever let JJ walk on grass, because we don't use anything like Frontline and I don't want fleas or other parasites. Not that they can't get him on the sidewalk, but it makes me feel better. We also never walk at dusk because of mosquitoes, which can transmit heartworm.

Walking is a great way for kitty to get exercise and enrichment- give it a try! JJ always spends the first few minutes just rolling all over the place and you see the bliss on his face

Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I actually don't ever let JJ walk on grass, because we don't use anything like Frontline and I don't want fleas or other parasites. Not that they can't get him on the sidewalk, but it makes me feel better. We also never walk at dusk because of mosquitoes, which can transmit heartworm.
Do you not use any kind of heartworm preventative? Both of our cats are indoors with occasional walks outside, but we get mosquitoes inside the house frequently and heartworm is common in our area. We don't bother with flea or tick stuff but we do guard against heartworm for that reason.

It sounds like you walk JJ a lot like I walk Isis!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
I would love taking Edgar for a walk but he'll have none of it. When he was a kitten, I tried to get him used to wearing a harness and being leashed. I tried this for several weeks. His response is to flop onto his side and yowl incessantly. He HATES it. Eventually I gave up and he seems happy to stare out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats