Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,438 times

Advertisements

She has a scar that almost heals, and the she goes at it again (it is on her head) and opens it up. I've thot about a cat cone, but am trying to avoid that.
I read somewhere cocoa butter. Which I'm going to try. Any other ideas? Whatever I put on it, will go into her body, so I have to be careful. Thank you.

(I wish I could put a little kitty mitten on her paw!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Don't put cocoa butter on a cat. Cocoa is toxic to cats.

Check with the attending vet before you put anything on your cat. However neosporin with pain relief may help. It is safe for cats and will deaden sensation at the wound site so she will forget it is there.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 AM

157 posts, read 587,347 times
hi.....I hate those e-collars too...this is a link to a much better design, a soft collar, so at least they can eat/drink much more easily and it bends with them all the while keeping them from reaching an area to lick at..there are other designs as well but this one is the cheapest, many petsmart stores have some also.....I wouldn't use cocoa butter or any other topicals, yes she would ingest anything you put on and nothing is meant for ingesting

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Soft-E-Co...ollar+for+cats

Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM

970 posts, read 2,212,951 times
Just put an E-collar on for a few days. You can get the regular plastic one from your vet, or go to the pet store and buy a softer one. She will hate it, but her scar will heal and you will no longer have to worry about it.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,438 times
OMG, thank you for telling me.

Here I am thinking that cocoa butter sounds so benign!

--and thanks for the link to soft cone, yes I have seen that at Petsmart, haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Check with the attending vet before you put anything on your cat. However neosporin with pain relief may help. It is safe for cats and will deaden sensation at the wound site so she will forget it is there.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,037 times
I would try emu oil! It has anti-inflammatory properties and may assist in wound healing plus is totally safe as long as you get quality stuff (PURE emu oil, no other ingredients). I use it on my cats' flea treatment dry spots between their shoulder blades and paw pads to keep them soft and healthy. It clears up dry skin in a matter of days.

I also use it on my own stretched ears to keep them soft and clean and any time my ears are really itchy, I just slap some emu oil on them and the itch immediately disappears.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 AM

18 posts, read 26,061 times
Default Cocoa butter is NOT Harmful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

That was an old reply, but I still want to clarify, because it's showing up in search results:

Cocoa butter is NOT toxic to cats. It's not the magical property of being cocoa that makes chocolate toxic, it's simply the chemicals theobromine and caffeine, which are in cocoa powder, but NOT in cocoa butter.

So cocoa butter is not harmful to your cat or dog. Cocoa powder, or chocolate, are...but even then, only in sufficient amounts. It would take a couple ounces of chocolate to get a typical cat enough theobromine to cause even the mildest symptoms (about 20 milligrams of theobromine per kilogram of cat).

Also, note that rubbing chocolate on a wound (do not do this) wouldn't even be toxic anyway. The theobromine has to be ingested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats