Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

believe me you would REALLY feel guilty if something terrible happened to your cat while outside. I think most of us with inside only cats had to learn it the hard way. I loved having a gardening companion in the way of feline friends for many years but my last BFF was killed by a wild animal and I swore right then I would never have outside cats.

Also swore never to have another backyard dog about 25 years ago too. If you(collectively) can't properly take care of pets then just don't get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Cats live a very healthy and happy life indoors if you are a responsible owner, which Im sure you are.
We are the resident kRaZy KaT LaDiEs of our neighborhood, and the only cats we cant get inside are ferals who are 1+ year(s) old. The have already been imprinted too indelibly. Some rescue agencies even make you sign a form averring you will never let your new kitty outside for the duration of their life.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I've only ever had indoor kitties, but when I was growing up, our family cat Zoey liked to be walked around the property on a leash...he would literally yowl when he wanted to go out, and one of us would find him by the door with the leash in his mouth, LOL! I think those outdoor enclosures are awesome, and I would definitely go that route if I had any cats that were used to spending time outside.
IMO, you're not depriving them, you're protecting them, and that makes me happy!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Same where I live. Until I got the last three cats and keep them indoors and in a safe outside enclosure they can enter and leave on their own (from a bedroom window) none lasted very long. Owls also take rabbit size cats. Don't forget raccoons. Don't feel guilty or buy into that nonsense that cats have to go out and roam around.

Yes, hawks will take any rabbit size cat and I've had people tell me they will also take small puppies. You're not restricting your cats. You're saving their lives.
I think thats the reason my dogs bark at every large bird that flies over. I think they picked it up from their mother, before I took her in she had four or five litters and she would always get nervous when a large bird flew over, I'm just speculating but it is my guess she lost a few to birds.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I struggled with this when I rescued/adopted my cat at 5.5 weeks old (mother cat abandoned her). I needed to decide if I should ever let her outside. I decided "no" for several reasons and worked through my guilt:

1. If she never went outside she would not be subject to other animals and would be safer.

2. Indoor-only cats statistically live longer.

3. If she never went outside she would have no expectation of going outside and therefore wouldn't beg me to let her out/now let her in/now let her out/now let her in (as my dog did like 15 times a day). A pet door will not work in my house.

4. My fenced yard, which contained my dog just fine, would not contain my cat without building a separate cat enclosure to make sure she didn't wander. More $$$ for that.

5. If she was indoor-only and my only pet I could medically justify forgoing all future vaccinations *after* she had all her kitten inoculations & then her one year booster shots, only needing a rabies shot by law. She had a beloved golden retriever to play with/torture for 11 months (RIP) and is now the only pet. I am the only human.

6. No "presents" whether alive/dead/half-alive. (HUGE reason for me right there).

I endeavor to make her inside life stimulating. Big picture windows with lots of birds, squirrels, bugs to watch. Lots of play and interaction and a variety of toys, scratching posts and surfaces. She is spoiled rotten (of course) and rules the roost (natch). She's 3 years old today (Happy Birthday spoiled cat) and healthy.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Jasper is "indoor only". He is declawed on all four paws...(no, I did not do it to him). He would not be safe outside. Lately though...he wants to check it out...so he races out when the door is open. I chase him around in circles for about 15 minutes and he runs back inside. Great fun. Not.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
ITA with cat enclosures.
Either that or "walk" your cat.
Yes, its possible with tons of time & patience.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Too many dangers: coyotes, vehicles, fleas. And getting lost. I try to keep mine indoors.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
We took ours in off the street,so he was use to being outside. However,now he is quite content with only going on our screenroom/sunroom. That is considered his outside now and that is far enough. There's way too many risks out there and it's not worth it! You are definitely doing the right thing and shouldn't feel guilty at all,but consider yourself a great,responsible "pet parent".

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think thats the reason my dogs bark at every large bird that flies over. I think they picked it up from their mother, before I took her in she had four or five litters and she would always get nervous when a large bird flew over, I'm just speculating but it is my guess she lost a few to birds.
I'm sure she did. People don't realize that predators are everywhere, even in towns, not just in rural areas. Anything rabbit size or smaller is fair game. Where I live, as far as bird predators go, we have owls at night and hawks during the day. Snakes will eat small kittens and puppies also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats